“A very Merry Christmas Menu!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The English Restaurant

The English Restaurant
50-52 Brushfield Street, London E1 6AG, England (Spitalfields)
+44 (0)20 7247 4110
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The English Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,828 of 17,041 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: English
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Spitalfields
Description: English restaurant housed in seventeenth century building with authentic all-wood interior. Traditional recipes and cooking always and only from fresh ingredients with a chef's brigade of six.Open seven days for breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. Lively bar and live jazz music on Wednesday and Friday evenings.Hosting events and parties for up to eighty people and private dining in fully-panelled room for up to sixteen.Full drinks license, fine wines and draught beers at the bar.
London, England, United Kingdom
“A very Merry Christmas Menu!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

What a place! I knew the English Restaurant did the best coffee in London but I was blown away by the quality of the food. If you want great food served to you in what I can only describe as a Sherlock Holmes/Dickensian restaurant this is your place. I am not sure what to write about first, the food, the wine, the staff or the ambiance. May be all in that order

The food - We had the any three for £28 (some dishes have supplement but for an extra £2 you can have oysters) There were 8 of us dining that evening and we nearly all had different dishes. I am a bit of a gannet and always manage to try other peoples dishes. They were all very beautiful. I have to tell you that I had the beef pudding (I think it might have been ox cheek). I though I had died and gone to heaven! What i would give to have this recipe (or have a few frozen do I could take them home. I will be back even if it is just for this one dish allow. The lovely French waitress came to take the orders for the desserts. After a few mins and a discussion about my like and dislikes (I love all food so this did not help) she suggested hands down I have the choc fondant. She was not wrong. It was the best I had had. top stars on quality, timing and more to the point price!

The wine - I let my boss pick the wine as he is a bit of a wine snob. It was nice to see him get excited reading through the list making funny noises that suggested he was torn between this that and the other! I guess the wine list was good as he took a long time. Oh and the wine was perfect when it came to the table.

The Staff - They were very busy as it was a Friday night, but not to busy to make us feel special. We were greeted, seated and make to feel very comfy. At no point did we have the horrid feeling of not being cared for or over cared for. The staff here where very lovely and informed about all the dishes.

The ambiance - It such a beautiful place. Candles light, Fire going (if you are luck enough to book a table in time and have the what I liked to call the private dining room!) Down stairs they had jazz music playing which was lovely to hear every time you passed.

I am giving the English Restaurant 5 stars. I have read some of the reviews about this place and I am shocked that they are bad ones. I think the only thing to do it go again and see if I have the same experience again... I have a funny feeling I will it just an excuse to go any fill myself up with beef pudding! Just thinking about it make me hungry! I wonder if they do take away!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Oxford, England
“3rd visit and have to say I love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Visited the English Restaurant for the 3rd time, this time on a historic Jack the Ripper night out with the family. The traditional dishes are tremendous and after replacing all the old, tatty stuff in our 1820 house, I appreciated the very traditional and authentic pub surroundings.

Three things I'd like to see improve. 1 - who is your chef? He/she is great, let's see them on the floor, chatting to customers. 2 - There is a bit of confusion on the name branding, outside, inside and on the plates. Market house, market coffee house, English Restaurant - Would be good to get some consistency to help the referrals. 3 - Waitering - they were very friendly but it was pub rather than restaurant waitering.

Will visit again soon and recommend!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Decent Christmas Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Went here for my wife's annual Christmas do and it was pleasant. Had turkey (as I rarely actually have this at Christmas), done as a roll with appropriate trimmings. All done nicely but not overdone. Service pretty reasonable given that the place was rammed and buzzy. Might try this again if I'm in the area.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Rudest staff in London?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Neither I, or my friends, have been back to this place since we went. Paid an extortionate price for a dish that was so tiny, everyone on my table suggested I call the waitress back. In fact, one of them insisted she do it in my behalf, she was so taken back by the price and size. I asked the waitress if I could get a little more/change the dish, and was told "no" to both requests. I subsequently heard the waitress telling the manageress/owner about this and them both laughing about our request. Right beside our table!! This kind of unprofessionalism borders on the moronic. Never, ever again.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London
“Disappointed doesn't even come close.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I booked this restaurant for myself and 10 others for afternoon tea, to celebrate a milestone birthday for my Mum. I visited last summer for a friend's baby shower and was impressed with the venue, private room and service, however my visit today was a totally different experience.

We arrived and took our seats and the waitress took our order. The majority went for the set £15 afternoon tea apart from one friend who only wanted sandwiches and my niece who wanted toast. A totally simple order which I thought could not possibly go wrong. 40mins after placing the order enough sandwiches, scones and cakes arrived for 4 people. There had been a 'mix up' in the kitchen and we were told the rest would arrive shortly. I was really disappointed as I wanted everything to run smoothly, I had arranged this surprise afternoon for my Mum with her friends and family and took personal responsibility for the service we received as I had booked the venue.

A full 15mins passed before we received the next helping, another 3 afternoon teas which left us with 2 outstanding. These arrived 10 mins later. I couldn't understand what the issue was, nothing required cooking!

The food itself was pretty awful. Three variations of sandwich, ham & mustard, cream cheese & cucumber and cream cheese & salmon - with all the sandwich fillings in the world why have two with cream cheese? The scones were dry and the cakes looked like they had been removed from a freezer and left out to dry for hours - incredibly poor.

I let my feelings be known to the waitress about my disappointment regarding the late arrival of our food. I was astonished to hear the reply "How were you expecting it to arrive?". "All together." was my obvious response.

I advised we would not be paying any service charge on the bill. The waitress said she would speak to the manager, I told her I would be more than happy to relay this myself. The manager didn't pay us a visit but the bill did arrive without the service charge added.

As my heading states, disappointed doesn't even come close to my feelings about our visit. I felt embarassed to have invited my Mum's friends and family here and will never be returning. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited November 2013