“What more could you want?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The English Restaurant

The English Restaurant
50-52 Brushfield Street, London E1 6AG, England (Spitalfields)
+44 (0)20 7247 4110
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The English Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,015 of 17,879 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: English
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Spitalfields
Description: English restaurant housed in seventeenth century building with authentic all-wood interior. Traditional recipes and cooking always and only from fresh ingredients with a chef's brigade of six.Open seven days for breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. Lively bar and live jazz music on Wednesday and Friday evenings.Hosting events and parties for up to eighty people and private dining in fully-panelled room for up to sixteen.Full drinks license, fine wines and draught beers at the bar.
“What more could you want?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This restaurant came recommended to me and I absolutely see why. I have read some reviews claiming the portions here are small. By comparison to what? I hadn't eaten since midday and the steak and chips I ordered was absolutely filling enough. The menu was great, the salmon or pork belly will be for me next time. The value is great too. £28 for 3 courses of quality food in an atmosphere like this in The City isn't easy to find. Whoever sources stock for the restaurant also deserves complimenting - the quality of the meat was excellent. The range of accompanying ales was also delightful. Fantastic attention from Tom and Hannah, who went above and beyond to provide warm conversation and personable service. Hannah's advice to order the steamed lemon pudding dessert was also well received! Go and try this place, it's a must-have. I will definitely be returning.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food doesn't come cheap.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Delicious fresh scallops and french black pudding starter cost as much as a steak main course in most places but if you want the best, you have to pay for it. The house red was our choice to accompany calves liver for my main and steak and kidney pudding for my friend, Both were very tasty (we tried each others) and well presented but alas not the best I have had. The desserts were lovely but not as impacting as the prices. For Spitalfields Market area, I suppose the bill was always going to be higher but I would not rush back. Try it if you have £50.00 for a 3 course lunch, you may just think it was worth it!

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good English food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I was pleased to come across an English themed restaurant, as in London there are surprisingly few of them.

Traditional English cuisine is my all time favorite type of food and in terms of taste, this place delivered - oxtail stew with butter beans that had clearly been slow cooking all day so the meat fell off the bone, with a side of sourdough bread - mmm!

Loses marks on a few points - but after talking with the owners (who seem like genuine, honest people) I understand that this restaurant is still "ironing out the kinks" and i genuinely believe that once it does, it will be more than capable of earning its fifth star.

Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit for a meal or a party”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have visited the English Restaurant a few times in the past month, for a business lunch, an evening meal with a friend and finally to celebrate my birthday with 50 friends in the upstairs function room. On each occasion I had an excellent experience with complaints. If you are looking for standard chain restaurant fare, this place might be on the quirky side, but if you are prepared to take the time to discuss the food and wine with the owners and staff, and take their recommendations, you will enjoy a great meal. The function room is long and thin but full of character, and worked very well for a drinks party with a small band. The restaurant organised food, drink, a cake and decorations for me, and would have fixed up a band had I not already had one in mind. There is no room charge - just what you consume. Go on, give it a try!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Somerset
“OK, if you are not really hungry”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Staying in the East End I walked for a good 25 minutes through curry land to Spitalfields. Passing the endless, pricey, up-market burger bars I was pleased to find "The English Restaurant". The menu looked good, the welcome was warm. Scrubbed wooden floor, reasonable lighting, nice tablecloths, linen and glasses.
I was a bit surprised to find only French wine on the list but was told this was traditional in English restaurants.
I ordered and a small amuse bouche of aubergine wrapped round goats cheese with dill came; very tasty. The lack of bread was noticeable but I suppose traditionally English? A nice carafe of tap water. The devilled whitebait appeared with a yellow mayo, not much taste. They were crisp, very salty and not noticeably devilled. A glass of Touraine sauvignon blanc went well.
The pigeon breast was on the minimal side. Four small bites with beetroot crisps, some sliced mushroom and small whole mushrooms. No warning of the need for hearty side orders. Again the house red, a Marcillac from midi Pyrenees was quite acceptable.
I finished with a double espresso, reasonable size but not too warm, which came without sugar which you might have expected.
The bill was not too bad for this part of London, but I was tempted by the drive through burger place on the walk back. The 10% service charge was added with no real option to choose, though to be honest the service was quite good.
I might try it again if I was feeling generous but there must be places where you would feel you had had a decent dinner and were not fantasising about huge puddings to finish.

• Visited February 2013