“A great destination for coffee & cake” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8,470 of 17,041 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
London, United Kingdom
“A great destination for coffee & cake”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Having visited the Gallery in December, I became aware of the Cafe and decided to return to try it out today. The staff were extremely friendly and provided an efficient service so I was surprised to find so many negative comments about the service online. They were clearly well acquainted with regular customers and ushered to help those with prams. The cafe was not too busy and with large windows, it was lovely to look out on to the gallery and surrounding gardens. Also, Dulwich Park is just across the road with parking.

I had the coley main course and it was delicious. The portion size was a little too big for me but I do prefer smaller lighter meals to most. I didn't manage dessert (although the cakes looked enormous and tasty) but I did have a latte. As a coffee connoisseur, I can highly recommend their coffee. They are also large and of high quality. In total, it was a little expensive but I will definitely return for coffee and cake when the new exhibition opens!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, England
“Dopey waiting staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

They open before the Gallery does, which is good, but the staff were still half-asleep. I didn't like the coffee and the croissant was generic-poor. West end prices, inattentive staff but a service charge is added. Until they improve, take your own and sit in the gardens, instead!

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Farnham, United Kingdom
“A pleasant suprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

We visited tyhe Picture Galley to see the Whistler Exhibition and travelled by bus from Bixton on the P4, when we arrived we were in need of refreshment so had coffee and cake before going to the exhibition.
The coffee was excellent and the cake we shared as it was quite large!!
After the exhibition we were lucky to have a table for lunch as people were beginning to queue.
The vegetarian starter was good and I had the fish whicha although a small portin was quite adequate for lunch. My wife had the goats cheese salad which was excellent and too much for her to mange so I helped out.
The service was good so I was surprised to read some of the negative comments, don't people consider complaining at the time rather than later??

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, England, United Kingdom
“Overpriced cold coffee”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I visited the café yesterday morning and my friend ordered a flat white and I ordered a cappuccino. We had to wait at least 15 minutes although the café was not very busy. When it eventually arrived my friend's flat white was in a very small cup and mine was in a bigger cup but only had about 4 minute specs of chocolate (maybe, there wasn't enough to taste) and was luke warm. My friend's coffee was also not hot and we thought about sending it back but realized that this would involve another long delay and by then we were keen to see an exhibition in the gallery. Each coffee cost £2.95 which puts them amongst some of the most expensive in London. Unfortunately they were also the worst in terms of value for money, taste and service.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Kent, England, United Kingdom
“Nice location shame about the rest!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I had high hopes of this as the location is great and I quite like the boutique feel of the restaurant. However we were very disappointed by the food. We obtained a table very easily as we arrived by 12 and were shown the lunch menu. One of our friends had the belly pork which looked very dry but had no sauce there were probably 3 small slices of sauteed potato and a tiny helping of cavolo nero. Our other friend had the hake and again it was a very small helping with very little to accompany it. We do not belong to the school of quantity over quality but the amount of food provided should have been reflected by a lower price. We shared a meat platter as we were eating later that night but the meat was not of great quality. Whilst the staff were friendly I was very surprised to note that our waitress did not appear to have been shown that food should be served from behind rather than by leaning across one diner to serve another, almost tipping the food onto the table in the process. We went elsewhere for our dessert!

• Visited October 2013