“Terrible.... Do not go” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: African
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Terrible.... Do not go”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Shocking service by a very very moody depressed black haired woman, we were a party of 8 spending a lot of money, she was in a mood, most things were not on the menu, she said its was because it was a bank holiday...... Very Professional lol, I then asked about the chef cause I noticed a sign in the window, chef wanted, I asked has the food changed she said no, then she says the place had changed hands, the food came it was awful and portion smaller, what a shame I used to love this place, will never go back again. There is a brilliant Ghanaian resto in front of Peckham Garage go there instead and its cheaper, BTW... It's the first time in my life I have never left a tip.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“It's better downstairs.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I know quite a few people who have been to the Gold Coast restaurant and could not wait for my first experience. It was ok. There was a bar downstairs, music playing, people dancing and eating at tables with dimmed lighting that gave a rather warm atmosphere. It was full, though, so we were led upstairs, and what a difference. The room was brightly lit with just a few tables, no atmosphere at all, despite a celebration going on at the large table in the corner. Staff were polite and friendly and the Ghana food well prepared and tasty. Be warned, the pepper sauces are a little bit on the very hot side, but it's the lack of atmosphere upstairs that lets it down, in my opinion. I would go again for the food but would hope to sit downstairs.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Dreadful African food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

I've tried African food a number of times, mainly in and around se london area, I'm English so in regards to home food I had never tried it before these restaurants, my precious experiences were bad, unfortunately this wasn't to change, upon entering I was greeted by what can only be looks of distaste and sneers, I am white but I don't think I should be made to feel unwelcome in any restaurant regardless of if it's a African setting and will attract most people with that heritage, I don't get that if I go to an Indian curry house or a Chinese noodle bar so why should I get that here? Downstairs is a bar lounge area, looked quiet authentic and interesting art pieces, we were ushered upstairs that's where the eating area is, we went up it reminded me of a block of flats, not at all ashetically pleasing, we were sat down the paint was stripped on some walls, we sat down at a hugely uncomfortable table and chairs, hard wood seats that if someone had a bad back would find unbearable, now I ordered fufu and what I think was a peanut soup I can't remember the exact item, now in other places I've constantly asked for just mear no bone and no ligament as I know this is fairly common place with this type of food, again my request wasn't granted they said they'd make sure nothing prior mentioned would be here but it was all there disgusting stretchy ligament and bone in my soup, the fu fu was nice but that's incredibly hard to get wrong, all in all a bad experience , bad atmosphere and again I still can't seem to find an authentic African dining experience that I've come away feeling good about

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Great food excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Love the Gold Coast great food yam balls fried fish and pepper soup. The staff are helpful and friendly. Celebrated many birthdays and special occasion there. A must if you want good Ghanian food.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere