“nice place for lunch” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pizza Express

Pizza Express
80-81 St Martin's Lane | Covent Garden, London WC2N 4AA, England (Covent Garden)
+44 (0)20 7836 8001
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #8,958 of 17,052 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Takeout
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Bright and modern, Pizza Express St Martin's Lane offers an exciting reinvention of Italian classics. A vibrant menu includes wholesome Romana-style pizzas with adventurous topping combinations, as well as fresh salads, an impressive range behind the bar and aromatic coffee blends. Family-friendly Pizza Express gives kids the chance to design their own pizzas.
Paris, France
“nice place for lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Had a nice lunch here on a cold Sunday afternoon. Service was very friendly. Good thin crust pizzas with nice tomatoes and fresh basil

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I took advantage of one of the 40% off deals and went for lunch on a day out to London. He had the hot pizza and I had the lasagne...both we delicious and beautifully cooked. Service was friendly and prompt.

Visited January 2013
Fleet, United Kingdom
“Much better than Prezzo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

After a poor experience at the Prezzo down the road we took our children to their favourite pizza chain. Whilst being busy, we were still treated with courtesy and shown to a table after only 2 mins. Service was good, a little slow, but they were bust and very pleasant, unlike at Prezzo. Food was as expected, so overall good experience one made all the better by the poor experience a bit earlier in the day at Prezzo. Well done Pizza Express.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“staff running around like headless chickens, customers ignored”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

my son and I went to this restaurant on Nov 2 2012 at approx 1730, it was pretty busy and we were sat on a table that was opposite the front door. Our food eventually came and I had ordered a Pollo Pancetta salad, which had salad tomatoes rather then vine tomatoes, no dressing and the pancetta was just fatty and horrible. There was no staff on hand to tell them how poor the salad was and in fact we witnessed a staff member having a go at a manager in the restaurant in front of diners. Because the staff were running around like headless chickens we were not offered any more drinks or desserts and when I eventually got the bill I wasn't asked if everything was ok with the meal. The worst thing was that the waitress saw that I had finished my meal and then hovered until my son had finished his.
Because they were so busy and I didn't want to embarrass my 13yr old by complaining there and then I gave feedback ( as requested on the bill) and the manager Benjamin called me to apologize for the service - apologize is really not the word, he said he was sorry that we 'had been left behind' that 'the restaurant is always busy at that time and in fact it was busier the following night' he also queried my knowledge of tomatoes as he said they never use salad toms and I suggested that I know what they were and that was the reason why the waiter just plonked our food on the table and walked away because he knew it was wrong. The manager has offered me a complimentary meal but to be honest with the standard of service in this particular Pizza Express being so poor I will not be visiting them again.

My suggestion to anyone thinking of going to St Martins Lane is think again there are plenty of other fantastic restaurants in the area, who value there customers - this one is not good and I am not the only one that thinks it.....

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Largely ignored”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I was on my own and largely ignored by my server. I had to ask someone else for the Bill and sat for 15 mins for someone to come and organize the payment. As no-one came I went to the Bar to pay it myself. I did not feel valued as a customer and the server was off hand and busy else where. However as I entered before the rush-hour I do not feel there is any excuse for the poor service, lack of attention and off hand manner.
I think the other reviewer who says it is only really for tourists and non-repeat service has hit it on the head. Next time I go to the Theatre in the area I will avoid this particular branch. As I like the Brand it will not put me off however.

• Visited October 2012