“Good find, different” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Abeno

Abeno
47 Museum Street, London WC1A 1LY, England (Bloomsbury)
(020)-7405-3211
Neighborhood: Bloomsbury
Southeast USA
“Good find, different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stumbled on this restaurant near our hotel. First time we tried okonomi-yaki and really enjoyed these japanese pancakes prepared right in front of us. No silly theatrics needed, just a cook focused on cooking and with a quality end result. Mine was stuffed with octopus, the special of the night. I added a delicious seaweed salad and washed it down with a quality cold saki.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

• Indonesian first
York, United Kingdom
“An excellent and authentic Japanese meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I've been twice in the last month to this small but excellent Japanese restaurant in Museum Street and have enjoyed it enormously. The Okonami-yaki - I think best described as somewhere between an omelette and a pancake - which is cooked in front of you is delicious and fresh and comes with various fillings (meat, fish and vegetarian). I'm told that the chicken yaki-soba (which I believe has noodles) is also good. The 'side orders' which I've had as starters are wonderful - particularly the edamame, kimchi, kimpira goboh (which I recall is carrot and burdock) and the chicken kushikatsu. The puddings - ice cream and others - are also very tempting. Service is courteous and efficient but booking is necessary.

London, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

People need to be a bit more realistic when they write reviews. Abeno is trying to compete with Benihana and there is no comparison. I went with a group of 8 for someone's belated birthday and I personally will never return. Abeno is very small and your hair and clothes will smell of fried oil when you leave this place. The staff are very pleasant but the menu is completely over priced for what you get. I spent £16 on thier 'speciality dish' which was essentially an over priced small 1egg tasteless omelette that had 3 'tiny' bits of chicken and I never found the asparagus. It was the most expensive omelette I have ever paid for and £3 for a can of lemonade that was flat!! If you have to eat here then know what you are ordering. Better still just Go to Benihana for a better experience with better food.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Montserrat W.I.
“outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We wanted a quick and interesting lunch before the B. Museum and this place was excellent. Very good service, really wide range of choices, food cooked at the table on a hotplate. We had Okonomiyaki pancakes and wished we had longer to savour the experience. We will definitely be going back for more.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Authentic and unusual”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stumbled upon this on the way to a show - it is unassuming from the kerb but worth going in for something a bit different from the norm. Authentic Japanese food, cooked at your table by staff. We had tempura kakiage, salmon teppan-yaki and pork, prawn and squid okonomi-yaki. All fantastic and freshly cooked in front of us.

Recommend booking - we were lucky to get a table on a Saturday evening, but were only given it for one hour. Was full of Japanese locals, which must be a good sign!

• Visited February 2013