“A Little Piece of Paradise in the UK!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 93 Attractions in Liverpool
Type: Beaches, Outdoors
Lancashire
27 attraction reviews
“A Little Piece of Paradise in the UK!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

It's rare to get decent "go to the beach" weather in the UK, but when we do I always head to Formby Beach, its peaceful and easy to get to, well away from the hustle of Southport Beach. Plenty of space not to be bothered by people!

On a sunny day I'd advise to get there early, the car park fills up (£5 for the day) though you can park in the surrounding streets for free, but again, soon fills up and it can be a trek to the actual beach.

Facilities wise..well..there are loo's as you go into the car park, small cafe and an ice-cream van in the car park..but that's it! It's up to you to bring what you need..but PLEASE take your rubbish home with you or put in the bin bags provided. Otherwise chill out and enjoy!

Interesting fact, used Christmas trees are planted in the dunes to stop them disintergratng..they turn bright red and are actually quite stunning against the sand (they take the decorations off!)

Ormskirk, United Kingdom
43 attraction reviews
“Good day out.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Easy to get to and important easy to park. Plenty of space in the dunes. The dogs love it . They can have a good run or/and a good splash in the water.

North West England
“5* beach sadly spoilt by moron litterbugs”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was born & raised in nearby Southport so was brought up on this coastline & used it as my playground throughout my childhood. Sadly how times have changed... I returned to Formby beach for first time in few years at appx 5pm on Fri 19th July 2013 - we were still in the midst of a heatwave and kids had broken up from school, so we were looking forward to starting the summer hols in style with some family fun on the beach and BBQ in the dunes watching the sunset over the sea...

Everything was perfect... weather sunny appx 23 degrees with only a light breeze, sea temperature warmer then usual at appx 18 degrees & it felt lovely with no icy shock when first entering, miles of golden sandy beaches backed by majestic scenic sand dunes with pine forest behind that - all completely SPOILT by the *** RUBBISH LITTERED EVERYWHERE *** - cans, bottles, chip wrappers, plastic sandwich cartons, spent disposible BBQs, nappies, etc etc - even some towels and other items that looked perfectly ok just left - mainly all picnic food & drink rubbish that visitors had just discarded - no exaggeration, it was as if someone had emptied an endless number of bin bags everywhere.

What a shame, because if the litter problem was resolved, this would easily be a 5* beach that Formby and it's residents could be truly proud of, neigh, one that the whole UK could be proud of - instead, if I were a Formby resident, I'd be completely ashamed of it, and would like to string the culprits up from the nearby pine trees and ram all the rubbish on the beach right back up their f***** ar**s.

Come on council, NT, beach users, parents, everyone alike, lets get this awful disgrace sorted. Wouldn't mind if it was a hard problem to solve like the middle east crisis, the economic downturn, or Liverpool FC's inability to win the league title in 23 years, etc, but all the visitors have to do is take their rubbish home with them or stick it in the g.damn bins !!!

Got the same problem on my local village green - all the teenagers go down there .on warm evenings and leave all their cr*p - and I mean ALL of them, not just the uncouth minority - and these are all supposed to be well brought up teenagers from very respectable families - leads me to believe it's a national curse.

Anyhow, apart from that Formby beach is great :-)

Formby
“dont believe the hype”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

on a good day its crowded , dirty and remote , dont expect to park close to the beach and its quite a walk to the shore unless you get in a car park , and must be achieved very early on as they fill very quickly and cars are then turned away , parking officers are now patrolling and traffic q's to get into Formby stretch for miles throu Thornton ...

“Cut foot on glass!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I visited Formby Beach with my partner on 13th July, we arrived at about 11am and it was very busy as the weather was so nice so it was "one out, one in" in the car park. Queued for about 30-40 mins and paid our £5 fee. After about 15mins of being on the beach we decided to go and sit on the sand dunes as they looked like the cleanest part from a distance. As we were walking up the sand dunes, my partner stepped on a broken piece of glass slicing his foot quite deep. It was gushing with blood and there was no one around who worked at the beach and not a single person that was walking past offered to help or ask if he was ok even with a pool of blood around him. There was no bins in sight only the odd full bin bag which I assume was from the public. We went to go and seek help but the only first aider was at the main entrance, I left my partner in the car while I went to explain the situation and rather than them coming to help us they made my partner go to them even though they knew he couldn't walk! I am just writing this review to tell you to beware of hidden dangers, this is definitely not a clean and safe beach and we certainly won't be going back!