“Superb in every respect ...” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 1,153 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: European
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Superb in every respect ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

... a birthday treat booked thanks to online reviews like this one! My home city did not disappoint after a 30 year absence - great food, from a menu that I was completely spoilt for choice from - (pigeon breast to start, followed by monk fish in a fabulous sauce, then pannacotta with apple puree and salted caramel ice cream - and then St Peter opened the gates and said 'Welcome to Heaven!'). The friendly and knowledgeable staff were the icing on the cake, so to speak, and made the whole experience a total pleasure.

wigan
“Couldn't be faulted”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Went for a birthday meal here on a Saturday night. The journey there was further then we thought but well worth it. We were greeted by very friendly front of house. Started with a nice bottle of Shiraz. The pigeon breast to start which was very succulent. Followed by main of Lancashire salt marsh lamb which was fantastic. And a gorgeous cheese cake to finish. I cannot recommend this restaurant enough.

“Everything about this place is amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

I have never written a review about anything on trip advisor but feel I have to about this place. The staff are so friendly and welcoming and the service is brilliant.

We were served by the waitresses and by one of the owners and all of them were so lovely and and nothing we asked was to much trouble.

We ate from the eay bird menu and the food was amazing. In fact the rump steak I had was nicer than any fillet I have ever had elsewhere and my wife loved the lamb shoulder.

I was a little disappointed the menu doesn't have the chocolate fondant on but whilst speaking to the owner he said he could do that for me and I have to say words could not do it justice it was the nicest desert I have ever eaten.

My wife and visited liverpool for a couple of days Xmas shopping and this place made the stay extra special and we will definitely be returning.

I can guarantee you will not have a better meal anywhere in Liverpool.

Thank you again for a lovely evening.

heswall
“The food, the food...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

First visit last night with my wife and daughter for my birthday. A real treat. Quite a horrendous trip to get there, through storms, tempests and main roads that ruined my car's suspension. But a very cosy and welcoming atmosphere, friendly and obliging table service, and a great front-of -house man, who could not have been more personable. And the food, the food... We forewent the starters, to ensure that we could all do justice to the desserts. For Mains we had the lemon sole (quite exceptional), the fillet steak (melting in your mouth), and the finest chicken any of had tasted (we did a bit of sharing) in many a long day. The desserts, chocolate fondue, panacotta, and cheesecake with a lovely orange tang, were of such quality that we were already planning our next visit before we had finished them.

A touch we particularly appreciated was that my 13 year -old daughter was a little uncertain about some things on the menu that she had not seen before. She was able to have her chicken with her own customised accompaniments. Nothing , it seemed, was too much trouble. And this on a busy Saturday night.

Many thanks to the chef and all of the staff for giving me such a memorable birthday experience ( and to my wife who paid for it ).

The American gentleman who gave this restaurant a single star is indeed from another country. Since I am sure he is no Anglophobe, may I recommend to him a chain of Scottish restaurants that seem to be doing quite well in America and may be more to his taste.Try McDonalds.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Early doors, excellent food and value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We visited on a Tuesday evening, every table was taken and there was a large party seated upstairs. The number of covers did not impact on the service we received though, the staff were friendly and attentive. We had starters of Mackeral fishcake and calamari followed by thai chicken curry and steak with chips. We finished this off with cheese with crackers and jaffa cheesecake. The food was top quality considering it was an early doors menu, would recommend and will visit again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere