“Excellent customer service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Excellent customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I booked this hotel as a present for my daughter and son in law for their wedding night. I spoke to the staff beforehand to tell them what it was for and they said they would give them a really nice room.
They didn't disappoint, my daughter was delighted with the room and the service from the staff.
She said everything was excellent including the breakfast

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Castle62, General Manager at 62 Castle Street, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments, we are delighted we made your daughter and son-in-laws stay with us such a good one. Please feel free to come back and try out some of the other rooms in the hotel. I will share your feedback with the team here at the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to 62 Castle St very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
nailsworth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Not sure where to begin......we stayed here this weekend coming to Liverpool for a family wedding. My husband and I stayed 2 nights my two boys came for 1 night cost £650 all together.
Before we arrived I noticed that the hotel restaurant and bar was closed if you look on there website the photos of the bar and restaurant are the main feature of this hotel. This will be run as a completely separate entity when it reopens in May. the current hotel website is therefore grossly misleading.The images on the website were my reasons for booking.
I emailed the manager before we arrived with my concerns that half the hotel was closed should there be a reduction in the room rate ! She wrote back that when I booked 2 months before it was on the there website that the bar and restaurant was closed.
I am not interested in the money its the life style I always look for and the enjoyment of staying in a beautiful boutique hotels in a beautiful city like Liverpool so all v disappointing to say the least. When we arrived on Friday night we were told we had to pay in full by the night porter which was not a good start to a customer relelionship.We did not, but tried to go on line to find another hotel for the sat night. The wifi didn't work on second floor. I was told that it only worked on ground floor, but actually it did not work there either.
The room was large, a bit on the grubby side,aircon noisy and we could not open windows ! Very dark definitely needs decorating.
In the morning we found the temporary lounge where they were serving breakfast. found out we were not on a B and B tariff and so had to pay for it on top.Again the room so tired and need of decorating.staff friendly . For breakfast we would have been better off going over the road to Pret !
I know this hotel is owned by a large company from Ireland. I am not the complaining type but feel there was no goodwill to us by the manager, who we were unable to meet face to face. We always try to choose lovely hotels, as it enhances the enjoyment of the city we are visiting. Liverpool is great though!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience here at 62 Castle St. Firstly I would just like to confirm that you contacted the hotel on the day you were arriving to ask for a discount off the rate you had already booked, I checked and you made your original reservation a month after the Bar & Restaurant was closed so this information was clear on the website at this time, I refused to discount your rate as the Bar & Restaurant is not a package deal, however I did, as a gesture of good will offer to cancel your bookings at no charge so you could book alternative accommodation to ensure you had an enjoyable stay in Liverpool, which you declined. It is also on both the website and your booking confirmation that wifi is only available in the public areas and internet access in the guest rooms is hard wire connection. Whilst checking your booking I noted that you booked and received confirmation that you had chosen to book a Room Only rate so were charged for the breakfast taken. The hotel endeavours to give our guests a great experience whilst visiting the City so to make up for your disappointment that the restaurant was closed, I supplied you with an extensive list of the quality bars and restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the hotel so you could make a reservation if you wished. I am sorry you feel that you were not shown goodwill by me discounting money off your stay but as the I have already mentioned, the bar & restaurant were not a package so I think my response to you was fair. The Bar & Restaurant is now open so I do hope you return to us to try it.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Location fantastic, room was lovely but absolutely too hot! The air con was neither use nor ornament and the windows were locked shut. So we had to sleep on the bed rather than in it!

The cooked breakfast looked lovely but both of us had an upset tummy after we had eaten it. I had one bite of the sausage and left the rest and the scrambled egg was greasy and very runny! Better quality food needed to say the hotel is priced highly.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Castle62, General Manager at 62 Castle Street, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Thank you for writing your feedback, I would have liked to have heard from you during your stay with regard to the quality of breakfast so that we could have corrected things whilst you were still here with us at the hotel. I can only apologise for the heat in the rooms, as I have mentioned in other reviews the air con units are being serviced and new parts ordered, unfortunately not as quickly as we would like. I hope that your experience here has not put you off coming back to 62 Castle St.
Leicester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Brilliant location, layout of the reception and the rooms. Something special. But the execution and the fashion of which it is maintained is appalling for a hotel that markets itself as a boutique hotel. Checked in that was fine, we then started to unpack and I noticed the air conditioning unit was open and half repaired as if the workmen had just left. The plug mechanism was fully dismantled, I love going to hotels putting them back together unfortunately I couldn't mend the shower that dripped continuously, I then noticed that a bulb had gone as well. I raised this with reception and they offered me a fan as the air con throughout the whole hotel had been down since Thursday and an engineer would not be out until next week. That is not acceptable. The other items were unexplained how a room could be signed off to be ready with all those things wrong. For the bulb I was told to leave a note for the maids and they would change the bulb, the next day the maids had just moved my note next to the lamp and hadn't actioned. I then looked around the rest of the hotel and noticed paint peeling from the walls with the hotel actually looking tired, it was really disappointing. Two final points is that wifi is not available in the rooms which is not what you expect from top hotels, which I thought this was, finally the car park is discounted at Q-park - I walked there around 10 minute walk with all our luggage to then place the discount card in the machine for it to be rejected. As I was in a rush for a flight I didn't have time to mess around with this hotel any longer, really disappointed for weekend that was hampered by a hotel that could be something great but instead is no better than £30 a night hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your stay with us at 62 Castle St. I can only apologise for the air con unit, if we have contractors in the rooms they don't always leave them as we like and with the hotel being so busy this has obviously been overlooked and not check prior to your arrival. With regard to the bulb, I have spoken to each of my team and no one can remember this conversation, we have a supply of bulbs at reception and the team will change the bulb if they are notified, never would they suggest you leave a note for housekeeping. We have internet in the guest bedrooms and wifi in the public areas, this is in the information on our website and also on booking confirmation to make guests aware of this prior to their stay. I can not comment on the reason your ticket was rejected, I know that reception give clear instructions on which ticket to put in first, unfortunately there is nothing that the hotel can do about this but thank you for mentioning it.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

I have been quite bemused and confused by the negative comments about 62 Castle street and cannot recommend this as a place to stay, highly enough. It is a wonderful hotel, charming and full of character. It's housekeeping is to a very high standard, it is perfectly placed in the city centre just minutes away from the Liverpool 1 shopping complex, yet with its secondary glazing and beautiful soft lighting you could easily be in a remote country hotel. Our room was gorgeous with a huge comfortable bed and all in-room amenities. I felt very safe staying here, with staff available 24 hours a day and a secure door system which many hotels do not have. The staff are extremely professional and friendly and the manageress Elaine clearly takes pride and pleasure in the guests experience, thank you to all of the staff who made our stay here so lovely, especially the housekeeper who serviced our room beautifully each morning, we will definitely be visiting again and highly recommend 62 Castle Street to others.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to put your experience at 62 Castle St on here and also for your positive comments about the hotel and the team here. We pride our selves on interacting with our guests and it was a delighted to speak with you both about your time here in the city and to try and make recommendations to make the most of your stay. I do hope you will both return very soon to us here at 62 and to continue to explore Liverpool !
Hertfordshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

When I originally booked this hotel, the reviews were all good. With a few weeks to go, I had concerns. The reviews weren't great. Mainly due to lack of cleanliness.
First impressions- Location is great, just off Liverpool one and 10 minute walk to the Albert Docks. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. Our room was on the 2nd floor, overlooking the Law Courts. The executive suite was great. Very spacious, a lovely clean bathroom, with a great shower, and the most comfortable bed ever, with crisp,clean and white sheets. The lighting was great during daylight hours. At night the room was lit by various lighting means, very cosy, but not great for applying makeup. Our only moan was the poor condition of the windows and the design of the sink tap. The tap was so close to the sink, not only was it difficult to wash hands, it was virtually impossible to fill the kettle. These were minor issues. The first morning we went out for breakfast. The second morning we had breakfast in the restaurant. The restaurant and waitress were very nice, but the breakfast is overpriced.
Our main reason for visiting Liverpool, was to watch a game at Anfield. Awesome, Liverpool won. Very easy to get a bus to the ground. Shopping and eating in the city centre is great. I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at 62 Castle St. As you are probably aware the hotel is a Grade II listed building and unfortunately the maintenance is never ending, the windows are on the list to update as the current windows have been permanently fixed due to health and safety, unfortunately the design of the sink taps is another matter and for this I can only apologise. I hope that these issues will not stop you returning to 62 Castle St.
Gateshead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Amazing location, could not have asked for better.
Building, reception and staircase was really nice. Room at first glance was lovely also, but after the first day I started to notice that it wasn't as shiny as I first thought. For example it was clean but the likes of skirting boards radiators etc had a a thick layer of dust. The windows were rotten inside and out. The sealant round the bath was worn away and tiles on the floor were all worn which I couldn't tell if it was dirt or scratches! The room wasn't lit very well, it could do with either more lamps or more light fittings in the ceiling (I dont think there were any at all). Was surprised there was no mini fridge?!
However the bed was a dream, literally. The staff were so friendly and helpful, could not fault them at all.
I just think for a boutique hotel and the price there could have been a little more attention to detail.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Castle62, General Manager at 62 Castle Street, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with us here at 62 Castle St.
I note your comments about the dust in the rooms and have spoken with our housekeeping department to ensure that it doesn't happen again, I can only apologise for this error. We are currently working our way through refreshing the rooms but with a listed building it has its difficulties such as existing windows, however we have, before Christmas, retiled all the bathroom floors so I think the marks are the grout that have not been removed completely. I thank you for your positive comments about the team and will certainly share them with them as it is good to have nice feedback on the service we deliver. I hope that you do come back to the hotel at some point in the future to see the improvements.

Been to 62 Castle Street? Share your experiences!