My only quibble with this hotel is that they have to resort to the notoriously expensive Q park for the guests. There was a voucher available which knocked a few pounds off the car park ticket. This was available on check-out, though at that time their computers were down, so it wasn't offered and I forgot to ask.
However, I have since written to the hotel and offered to leave the few pounds (the value of the voucher) as a tip for Ken, the concierge, who was most helpful and with whom we soon became acquainted on first name terms. No trouble was spared by any of the reception staff on our behalf. We stayed on two separate nights. On the second occasion, the receptionist was only too happy to provide a few post codes for our car's satellite navigation. She also volunteered suggestions about some of the places we planned to see. Ken also was very happy to come up to get our TV "fixed" - even though there was nothing amiss with it, as I had failed to see the button on the side of the set.
I was interested to hear his angle on the Liverpool of today, after having spent 4 years there as a student at Liverpool University some four decades ago. The staff had TIME and took TROUBLE over their guests. I found this a refreshing change from the normally more aloof and formal approach taken by hotel staff in the south of England.
Food was of fine quality; I had a superb Eggs Benedict just before leaving for the Belfast ferry. Nonetheless, I got the feeling that the restaurant staff were very young and perhaps under-trained. Common sense would dictate that used dishes should be lifted away before the next breakfast course arrives. However, we had to put these on one of the adjoining tables to help the waitress out. I also got the feeling that staff were doubling up in some of their jobs, e.g. reception and cleaning. There seemed to be very few guests around on both occasions when we had the overnight stay. Both were midweek however, so this may account for it to some extent. The waitress informed us that the hotel is a grade 3 listed building, having been a bank in its former incarnation. It is a lovely hotel and very convenient to the many activities available at the Pier Head and Albert Dock. What a pity if it were not to thrive - especially with such dedicated staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The beautiful boutique hotel, 62 Castle St. boasts one of the most enviable locations in Liverpool City Centre. Perfectly located to take in the sights, sounds and of course, shopping, the city has to offer.Whether your visit is business, leisure or pleasure, the exquisite ‘Old Bank’ building, with it’s intricate façade and grand interior, 62 Castle St., is first choice when it comes to luxury.The hotel encompasses 20 boutique suites, including the Grand Suite, for the most indulgent; our adjoining decadent gourmet restaurant and cocktail bar is the ideal place to dine, drink and we’ll ensure you dream with our plush SuperKing beds. With the most popular places of interest within walking distance, for those seeking culture and history, the Albert Docks, The Liverpool museum and of course the infamous Cavern Club are literally on your doorstep. With Liverpool One beckoning you into its vast selection of high street stores, 62 Castle St. is the number one choice when it comes to a boutique hotel in a prime central location. No stone is left unturned when it comes to each individual suite in 62 Castle Street. Equipped with the latest in: climate controls, luxury linens &toiletries, flatscreen TV, direct dial phones, high-speed Internet access, wake up services, separate lounge/sleeping areas, onsite parking, business services with meeting rooms, concierge desk, and 24-hour reception- there is little you are left wanting with – so treat yourself, try the room service and relax in ultimate indulgence at 62 Castle St. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your 62 Castle Street reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 62 Castle Street Hotel Liverpool
- 62 Castle St Liverpool
- 62 Castle St Hotel Liverpool