“All was perfect until right at the last minute” 3 of 5 stars

62 Castle Street
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   62 Castle Street, Liverpool L2 7LQ, England   |
Ranked #41 of 100 Hotels in Liverpool
Derby, England, United Kingdom
“All was perfect until right at the last minute”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at 62 Castle Street with my partner for his birthday. It's an excellent location for the main shopping areas and bars. Check in was slick and first impressions was good. Upon entering our room - we were blown away. Both of us agreed that it was the best room we had ever stayed in (and we've stayed in some lovely places). So much so that we didn't really want to leave.

The bathroom was amazing. It would have been perfect if it had a bath but everything else was wonderful. Full length windows opened up to a bustling square outside and streams of sun burst in the room. I loved the mezzanine area for the huge bed. The panels in the hallways and bouncy carpet just reaffirmed you were in a boutique hotel.

We had only booked for one night (we wish we could have stayed longer) so to make full advantage of the room, we decided to have breakfast in our room. One full English and one veggie breakfast. We called room service to order it. After 30mins of waiting I called again. Eventually it arrived but both were full English and no tea had been provided. At this point we had waited so long that it was getting very close to check out. I called to explain that they had not provided a veggie breakfast. The waitress tried to persuade me that it was a veggie breakfast!!! I was furious. When another waitress arrived with the tea, I told her that my other half had to have breakfast alone and I had nothing to eat. She was apologetic and took away the uneaten breakfast.

When we checked out, they tried to charge us for both breakfasts. After some debate, the receptionist took both off the bill.

Apart from the breakfast incident, the stay was lovely and we would probably stay again but this time, go out for breakfast.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Castle62, General Manager at 62 Castle Street, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
I am thrilled to hear you were impressed with our beautiful hotel & we have to agree, our location is most enviable!

Many apologies regarding breakfast, we go out of our way to provide for all dietary requirements & since your stay in October, rest assured our F&B team are all fully rehearsed in room service & our growing positive comments hopefully reflect this.

I would love to have you both back & for you to enjoy our full continental & English breakfast - we do provide some delicious vegetarian options which I'm sure you would enjoy!

Emma Wright

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was lovely ....

The room was huge clean and stylish! The windows were huge and overlooked the Main Street.

We had a sofa and table and chairs to eat our room service and watch a film at night.

The bathroom was very clean and the rooms spelt like they had just been cleaned.

Great location and brilliant price.

Will be staying again in the future I'm sure.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for such a glowing report!

My team & I are thrilled you thought our hotel to be as superb as it truly is.

We have to agree, our location is fabulous & perfect to see the sights & sounds of Liverpool.

We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon - perhaps join us for Afternoon Tea in our bar & restaurant - it truly is a wonderful affair.

Todmorden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Having very much enjoyed a previous visit to Castle Street in June 2012, my only real complaint had been the noise from adjoining rooms and the docks (though we had stayed the night the Olympic torch arrived in town!) We returned to Liverpool to catch the Turner/Monet/Twombly exhibition at the Tate in late October and this time requested a quiet room. We were allocated a room that was even more spacious than the one we had stayed in on our previous visit, with a seating area (including a comfortable leather sofa and table) and a large bathroom. Best of all, thanks to the peace and quiet and a wonderfully comfortable super king size bed, we slept so soundly we almost missed check out! In addition to this, the staff were attentive, efficient and friendly. In all, 62 Castle Street offers a great boutique hotel experience at a very reasonable price - I'm very glad we decided to make a return visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We are glad you returned to visit us again!

We hope you enjoyed the exhibition & also our beautiful & spacious room!

My staff & I are always willing to accommodate any requirement as best we can & I am glad we met and exceeded your expectations once again!

Please do visit us again soon, it looks set to be a great year for Liverpool & its growing arts & culture industry.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My wife booked us in here as my birthday present, no doubt after carrying out her usual in depth research, and what a great choice she made.
The location is great as it is very close to James St Station and only a 10 minute walk from Lime St Station. L1 and the other main shopping streets are nearby, as are Albert Dock and Matthew Street. If you don't mind a bit of a longer walk, it's not that far to walk to the Cathedrals and most of the other sites as Liverpool centre is relatively compact.
The hotel is very welcoming with very nice public areas and helpful staff. Our room was spotless and very roomy with a split level area with a comfortable sofa. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in.
We had an excellent stay in Liverpool thanks to our hotel and the friendliness of the city as a whole.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I am thrilled to hear you and your partner has a wonderful stay in our hotel in such a wonderful city as Liverpool.

I'm glad you both received a warm reception & I hope you choose us again, the next time you decide to visit.

Perhaps, join us for our excellent breakfast in our onsite Restaurant & Bar - we hear the sausages are amazing!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We only had a one night stay, wished it was longer. Central position close to L1 shops, restaurants and James Street train station. Lovely good sized room with a huge, very comfortable bed, quality bedding and furnishings, we had everything we needed and the staff were efficient and helpful.
Would definetly stay again, excellent value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
We wished you'd stayed longer too!

I am thrilled to hear you were impressed with our standards, service & of course, our beautiful rooms & enviable location.

Our value for money is always competitive - keep an eye out for our up & coming offers this year!

Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Excellent location near shops and restaurants (and The Cavern). However our room (204) overlooked Derby Square which is very noisy from very early and the room was draughty. On arrival the room was very cold as a large mirror had been placed to toally block the only radiator in the room ! The desk phone did not work and the TV had no reception. When we reported these things, a fan heater was brought, we were told to use the bedside phone and the TV was restored.The bathroom was awful - the light over the mirror to shave was set so that one side of my face was in darkness, there was mould in the cheap plastic shower tray, the toilet seat did not fit - it was cheap plastic, the shower was cramped and with a poor flow of water,amenities were not renewed, the tissue box was empty and the towels were thin. There were no dressing gowns. In common with the rest of the hotel, our room and bathroom had been modernised on the cheap. There was peeling paint much in evidence and many lights had been replaced with inappropriate bulbs.Breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Do not choose room 204. Ask for a quiet room (if there is one!) and check the standard of housekeepi...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I had our Christmas treat at 62 Castle Street this weekend. We have been here a few times before and I have to say that this time, I did some research, came prepared and we had a fantastic night.

After speaking to reception a few weeks ago, we asked for the insider view of which was the best room available and 306 was suggested. This room is on the corner of the building and has a split level with the bed on one level and a seating area below.

The room was wonderfully warm on arrival on a cold day in Liverpool and the bed was to die for from a comfort perspective.

This was the perfect room and I would advise getting some advice from the hotel prior to arriving to make sure you get a good room as we have been given rooms that were not suitable in the past.

I only have 2 gripes though. The first is that you do get street noise early in the morning as bottles are emptied from the bar and secondly, the bar itself just inst very good and we struggled to get 2 glasses of Baileys!!! The music in the bar early on was also too loud and I am not a fan of loud music in scarcely occupied areas!!!

The hotel itself though, 10/10, well done 62 Castle Street and see you again very soon!!

Room Tip: We had room 306 which was lovely but book your hotel and then speak to them to reserve a room of you...