My Sister and I stumbled across Merchants Bar in 62 Castle Street whilst trying to escape from the hustle and bustle of a busy shopping day in Liverpool. I'd seen lots of advertisement on Facebook about their afternoon tea and just had to try it. My sister remembered the hotel as "Trials", a hive of activity in the 80's - where people queued round the block to get into and was eager to go inside to see what I was like.
Upon entry to the very grand dning room we were greeted by a very friendly and personable gentleman called Joe and his appearance gave us the immediate impression that we were somewhere special and we werent disappointed. The restaurant was a very very grande room with a massive domed ceiling with lots of period features yet decorated with a very modern twist of blacks and greys and the music was very pleasing to the ear. We were offered our choice of table and once seated were immediately offered 2 glasses of prosecco that were served to us on a tray in sparkling glasses. The afternoon tea was lovely. The sandwiches were on perfectly fresh bread and the selection was much more appetising that some previous afternoon tea's we've sampled and the cakes were mouthwatering - however the roulade did look a bit like a tuna mayo wrap. Thankfully it tasted absolutely delicious and the appearance was soon forgotten. We found the staff were very attentive but not too "in your face" and whenever called they were very quick to carry out our request and even asked for our feedback as they're doing their upmost to ensure they are offering a service second to none. By the time we were in the throws of our visit (which was that good that we stayed for almost 3 hours), the restauarant was buzzing with tables of "ladies who lunch", business people, families and couples and the atmosphere was filled with laughter. I managed to take a sneaky peak at some of the meals that were being presented to the other diners and they looked absolutely delicious - substantial and well presented and the proof of the pudding is in the eating and there were a lot of empty plates being collected from the tables!
I would highly recommend The Merchants Bar at 62 Castle Street and can't wait to go back and sample their cocktails!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The beautiful boutique hotel, 62 Castle St. boasts one of the most enviable locations in Liverpool City Centre. Perfectly located to take in the sights, sounds and of course, shopping, the city has to offer.Whether your visit is business, leisure or pleasure, the exquisite ‘Old Bank’ building, with it’s intricate façade and grand interior, 62 Castle St., is first choice when it comes to luxury.The hotel encompasses 20 boutique suites, including the Grand Suite, for the most indulgent; our adjoining decadent gourmet restaurant and cocktail bar is the ideal place to dine, drink and we’ll ensure you dream with our plush SuperKing beds. With the most popular places of interest within walking distance, for those seeking culture and history, the Albert Docks, The Liverpool museum and of course the infamous Cavern Club are literally on your doorstep. With Liverpool One beckoning you into its vast selection of high street stores, 62 Castle St. is the number one choice when it comes to a boutique hotel in a prime central location. No stone is left unturned when it comes to each individual suite in 62 Castle Street. Equipped with the latest in: climate controls, luxury linens &toiletries, flatscreen TV, direct dial phones, high-speed Internet access, wake up services, separate lounge/sleeping areas, onsite parking, business services with meeting rooms, concierge desk, and 24-hour reception- there is little you are left wanting with – so treat yourself, try the room service and relax in ultimate indulgence at 62 Castle St. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your 62 Castle Street reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 62 Castle Street Hotel Liverpool
- 62 Castle St Liverpool
- 62 Castle St Hotel Liverpool