“Very different, but very nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Malmaison Liverpool

You added Malmaison Liverpool to your Saves list
Malmaison Liverpool
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   William Jessop Way | Princes Dock, Liverpool L3 1QZ, England   |
Ranked #25 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
London, United Kingdom
“Very different, but very nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed here on business one time and it was a very nice hotel. It certainly was a change from the norm. The hotel is full of dark colours and decor, so I wouldn't recommend to anyone who wouldn't like to stay in a "dark" hotel. It was very nice though, I liked it because it was different. I liked the way the bathroom was laid out. Big bath, nice over head shower. The bed was comfy but I had a bit of a problem with the pillows. 1 wasn't high enough, 2 was too high but other than that it was a comfy sleep. Room had mini bar and hair dryer. The toiletries supplied were plentiful and they encourage you to take them home, including the soap, it's just a shame they don't supply you with a little bag or something to put the soap in. I didn't have breakfast at the hotel but did have 1 dinner and the food was quite nice. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is perfect for a weekend get away. Stayed here for two nights at the beginning of February with my partner and thoroughly enjoyed it. Close to the city centre with Liverpool One shopping centre within 10 minutes. Staff were helpful, calling taxi's for us while we waited in the comfort of the hotel bar. The staff kindly stored our luggage free of charge before check in and also when we checked out so we were able to make the most of our last day. The rooms were clean and well kept with a lovely big bed. Bathroom was the main highlight with a deep tub and huge shower, wish I could have taken them home! Overall we had a great stay with Malmaison and I would definately recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed February 2013
Lancaster, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Got this room at an absolute bargain price, so wasn't complaining either way.

Entrance to the hotel is dark and almost sinister- deliberately so, with a very modern fire in the centre of the foyer.

The hotel is very dark throughout: furniture, carpet and walls, in an almost sensual theme. The literature provided being very suggestive, bath big enough for 3, and a great walk in shower...brilliant after a heavy night!

Would feel cheated if I had paid any more as it completely relies on this them and there is not a lot more to it.

Very clean, staff very polite and courteous, standards very high. Only downside is the medium walk down the quays into Liverpool One, which if the weather is being British, isn't all that fun!

Worth a stay for the right price!!

Room Tip: Quay side room!!!
north wales, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Decided to treat the hubby to a night away as a late valentines gift and after trawling through website after website found the Malmaison.

you have heard all the 'what they have as you walk in' before, but I will say the reception is lovely.. The hotel building is quite a sight too.. so yep was pleased. Staff lovely and told us we could check in early.

We step out on the 5th floor and the corridors are very dark... not a problem as I hate generic, clinical looking hotels so this just added to the charm. Room was great, liked the dark decor and the deep tub and was quite amused to see the toilet in the same part as the shower... still not a problem for me or the hubby though so can't whinge about that. So!! some people like to moan about a scuff on the wall or a scratch on the furniture.. please remember people this is a hotel and not your personal bedroom. It was perfect for us and like most hotels we go to, we checked it out, dumped the bags and headed on out to walk along the waterfront. Which when we did, saw that directly opposite was the HMS illustrious.

After an afternoon of getting fish and chips from the chippie on Albert dock (you won't be disappointed) and then letting the hubby spend some money at Liverpool one. We headed back, got ready and headed down to the bar. I like that you sit and they come over and get your order.. yes! the cocktails can get pricey, but work your way through the list.. they are lovely and if your not going to splurge on your night away then rent a movie and get a take away and stay at home.

So basically I have nothing to whinge or moan about when it comes to the Malmaison, it suited us and I will go back there and stay. There was a wedding on this weekend and I know that people can moan about such happy occasions ruining their stay,... well It never ruined our stay in the slightest. To be honest, I think its a quirky venue for a wedding. Can't comment about the restaurant but after our experience at where we went (A different review and that is a polite moan) I wish we had stayed in and ate there... but then again its good to get out!..

Carovigno, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Booked in here for our wedding reception which also involved me staying here for 2 nights. The staff couldn't do enough for us, they really were stars.
The rooms (one night a standard twin, second night superior double) were fantastic, loads of space and comfy beds. Well stocked minibar and lots of smellies in the bathroom! And the bathrooms are the crowning glory in my opinion - the bathtubs really are enormous! Then wetroom style shower. Really did make it seem more like a 5 star hotel.
The breakfast was fab too - although if you book for a wedding party and there aren't soo many of you I wouldn't take up the offer to have a private breakfast in a seperate room as it will be standard buffet fayre, not with the choices you get in the main restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Peterborough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed in the Malmaison for 2 nights, the Saturday night was part of a Thomas Cook Sport package to watch the Everton/Aston Villa game.
It has got a nice feel as you walk into the reception, vey modern with mood lighing. The reception staff could not find my booking initially but after giving them the confirmation in writing they found it and we were able to check into our room. The rooms are nice, our room was not a large room and did not have good views but it was clean, comfortable and the bed was huge!
The bathroom was really nice, lovely walk in shower and a big bath. We were disapointed when we came back from the football on Saturday and ran the bath (it is all I had been thinking about through the 2nd half of the game!) and the water was lukewarm coming out of the hot tap, the shower was unfortunately the same. My boyfriend reported it to reception and they called us straight back to advise there was a problem and it would be fixed in 15 minutes, we did not have time to wait as we had a table booked and needed to get ready. The heating in the room was also not very good, I am quite a cold person so I do like a nice warm room.
The hotel is a short walk from the city centre but quite a way from Goodison Park for the football.
We had a drink in the bar which was ok, quite expensive which you would expect. The restaurant is great (have done a seperate review for the evening meal) we had breakfast both days, good service and a good choice of food, all the hot food is served to order to your table and was delicious both days.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay apart from a few minor things but there is no reason why we would not stay here again but would probably chose a cheaper alternative.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Leicestershire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

A great Valentine's Stay at Malmaison.

We booked for dinner, bed & breakfast. The food was first rate....the chateaubriand in particular was amazing. We were especially impressed as we didn't sit down to eat until about 9:30pm, but the quality of the food and the service was still very good. It would have been easy for the staff to rush us at this late hour, but we received as good a service as if we were the first people in! (Thank you to Jess, who also served us for breakfast in the morning !!!)

Usual Malmaison style...dark, lots of black, red & purple decor and moody lighting, but this is Mal's style, so, to all the people complaining about this, please book somewhere else if you want magnolia walls. I'm not trying to be rude, but Mal has a particular style and it would be disappointing if it didn't live up to it.

Other plus points include:
excellent spot right on the waterfront ( views of HMS Illustrious from our window!)
waiter service in the bar
multi-storey car park right next door
all the friendly staff

So, why not a score of 5??
Although Malmaison was otherwise very clean.... the black thong we found on the bathroom floor was not ours!!! Eeewww!!!

Thanks, Malmaison, we thoroughly recommend all your hotels...and we will return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Malmaison Liverpool? Share your experiences!