“all round great experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Malmaison Liverpool

Save Saved
You added Malmaison Liverpool to your Saves list
Malmaison Liverpool
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   William Jessop Way | Princes Dock, Liverpool L3 1QZ, England   |
Ranked #23 of 100 Hotels in Liverpool
Carovigno, Italy
“all round great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Booked in here for our wedding reception which also involved me staying here for 2 nights. The staff couldn't do enough for us, they really were stars.
The rooms (one night a standard twin, second night superior double) were fantastic, loads of space and comfy beds. Well stocked minibar and lots of smellies in the bathroom! And the bathrooms are the crowning glory in my opinion - the bathtubs really are enormous! Then wetroom style shower. Really did make it seem more like a 5 star hotel.
The breakfast was fab too - although if you book for a wedding party and there aren't soo many of you I wouldn't take up the offer to have a private breakfast in a seperate room as it will be standard buffet fayre, not with the choices you get in the main restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Peterborough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed in the Malmaison for 2 nights, the Saturday night was part of a Thomas Cook Sport package to watch the Everton/Aston Villa game.
It has got a nice feel as you walk into the reception, vey modern with mood lighing. The reception staff could not find my booking initially but after giving them the confirmation in writing they found it and we were able to check into our room. The rooms are nice, our room was not a large room and did not have good views but it was clean, comfortable and the bed was huge!
The bathroom was really nice, lovely walk in shower and a big bath. We were disapointed when we came back from the football on Saturday and ran the bath (it is all I had been thinking about through the 2nd half of the game!) and the water was lukewarm coming out of the hot tap, the shower was unfortunately the same. My boyfriend reported it to reception and they called us straight back to advise there was a problem and it would be fixed in 15 minutes, we did not have time to wait as we had a table booked and needed to get ready. The heating in the room was also not very good, I am quite a cold person so I do like a nice warm room.
The hotel is a short walk from the city centre but quite a way from Goodison Park for the football.
We had a drink in the bar which was ok, quite expensive which you would expect. The restaurant is great (have done a seperate review for the evening meal) we had breakfast both days, good service and a good choice of food, all the hot food is served to order to your table and was delicious both days.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay apart from a few minor things but there is no reason why we would not stay here again but would probably chose a cheaper alternative.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Leicestershire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

A great Valentine's Stay at Malmaison.

We booked for dinner, bed & breakfast. The food was first rate....the chateaubriand in particular was amazing. We were especially impressed as we didn't sit down to eat until about 9:30pm, but the quality of the food and the service was still very good. It would have been easy for the staff to rush us at this late hour, but we received as good a service as if we were the first people in! (Thank you to Jess, who also served us for breakfast in the morning !!!)

Usual Malmaison style...dark, lots of black, red & purple decor and moody lighting, but this is Mal's style, so, to all the people complaining about this, please book somewhere else if you want magnolia walls. I'm not trying to be rude, but Mal has a particular style and it would be disappointing if it didn't live up to it.

Other plus points include:
excellent spot right on the waterfront ( views of HMS Illustrious from our window!)
waiter service in the bar
multi-storey car park right next door
all the friendly staff

So, why not a score of 5??
Although Malmaison was otherwise very clean.... the black thong we found on the bathroom floor was not ours!!! Eeewww!!!

Thanks, Malmaison, we thoroughly recommend all your hotels...and we will return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Wrexham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Came here to stay on a saturday night, loved the modern dark theme of the hotel, stayed in a riverside view room on the 4th floor, room was really clean, it has a MASSIVE bath tub that we spent most of the night in, also had a big shower. The room itself was great with a flat screen tv, it had a comfy big bed. Bar was pretty quiet and was expensive so didnt stay in there long, but really enjoyed the night overall, worth the money, would definitely go again. Also parking was just next door and only cost us £5 for over 24 hours.

Excellent getaway!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed at the Malmaison in Liverpool on business. The hotel is modern and tastefully decorated and as it's on the waterfront I had a great view from my room, across Princes' Dock to the Mersey river. The staff are friendly and helpful. My room was large and the bathroom had a lovely walk-in shower with an impressive range of toiletries. However I hardly slept at all as the bed was like a rock. When asked next morning if everything had been OK, I told the receptionist about the bed and she admitted that some beds were 'very firm', and said I should have rung down and they would have moved me. However, by the time I realised it was so uncomfortable, I was in my pyjamas and thought I would probably sleep - but I didn't! I also needed 'breakfast to go' and the choice on the buffet was very limited - croissants, pain au chocolat, yoghourts and some fresh fruit (apples and oranges). I imagine you can order savoury dishes if you're eating in, but it would have been good to see some cheese, ham, rolls etc. Altogether rather disappointing that I had a terrible night's sleep and not much of a breakfast at such an attractive hotel. I've always stayed at the Premier Inn in central Liverpool on previous trips and I will be back there again next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks over the river as there's a main road behind the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

we stayed at hotel on sat 9/2/13, twenty of us on a hen party. my friend and i were in room 529, the lighting is a bit dingy,bedspread had dirty marks on it , and valance was ripped. bathroom was very nice with fluffy towels and lovely toiletries my neice stayed in room 301, she paid extra ha she was told it was an executive room. the morning after she came down to our room, to find it was exactly the same room.we asked receptionist what the difference was, but she didnt seem to know.we found her very unhelpful, but i dont think she knew what she was doing, and there did nt seem to be any body else about .the waitress in the bar restaurant was lovely and friendly and very efficient, a credit to the hotel.all in all a very nice stay though.our cheaper room had side view of the river, while exec room had a lovely view of the car park.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

2 weeks ago i stayed at the mal in manchester wich was fab, i loved it so much i booked to stay at the mal in liverpool for last weekend, i had updated from the standard room to a spacious superior plus ,this was around 40:00 more , on entry to the room it was smaller than that in manchester, the only thing different was the bath was round, we booked a meal in the restaurant for 8:30 we had ordered straight away and by 9:45 was getting a little fed up , the service in the restaurant was very slow, i must say my stay at liverpool was not as good as manchester, on check out i asked why the room was smaller when i had paid for a spaciouse room and was told that manchester have bigger rooms and they market the rooms as spacious, apparently i had paid to get complimentary water wich we did not have as i was not informed of this till check out, if i go back to the mal at liverpool i would just book a standard room and a restraunt elswere.

Room Tip: the rooms where very quiet
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Malmaison Liverpool? Share your experiences!