“Phantom of the Opera and annoying member of the orchestra” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 93 Attractions in Liverpool
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Phantom of the Opera and annoying member of the orchestra”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We went to see Phantom of the Opera last night (2nd March) - excellent show and the stage setting marvelous. However, seated in the lower circle, could not help but be distracted from the performance by the young flute/recorder player in the orchestra. She had long hair and whenever she was not playing she was messing and twiddling with her hair constantly in such a furious and manic fashion I am amazed the conductor and rest of the orchestra didn't want to throttle her because my husband and I certainly did.

St Helens, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful old style theatre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

It has been quite a few years since I have been to the Empire and I had forgotten just how beautiful a theatre it really is. We went to see a matinee performance of Phantom of the Opera and it was excellent.
We had good comfortable circle seats that had an excellent view.( I didn't realise you could still get pound in the slot opera glasses!!!). The theatre inside has been well restored and ornate with its gold and red paint. The circle bar is a very nice area to meet and have a drink prior to the performance although, for older citizens, there isn't much seating available.
I do understand what some reviewers have mentioned with regards to sound quality. It did sometimes become a little difficult to hear low volume voices. I couldn't determine if this was accoustics or just poor sound mixing. There were times when the orchestra seemed to overwhelm the voices so I wonder if this is more to do with the sound mixing. This said, it did not detract from my enjoyment of the performance.
Having driven to Liverpool, I found parking pretty easy at the Liverpool Lime St. Station long stay car park right next door to the theatre (£5 all day at weekends; £5 for 4 hours weekdays).
We enjoyed ourseves so much that we have decided to go and see Hairspray in April. I think we will make the Empire a more regular visit from now on!

liverpool
19 attraction reviews
“excellent threatre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

went to see cindrella was amazing every seat in the empire has a really good view brilliant atmosphere stage sets were brilliant easy to reach by public transport train station next door main bus depo out side ,rally good choice of diffent shows available to watch xx

Visited December 2012
Wigan, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“Phantom of the Opera”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Fantastic - the theatre is a beautiful venue.

We saw Phantom of the Opera at the Empire on 1st March 2013 and can seriously recommend it. The cast are fabulous and the set great.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Harry Hill Sausage Time Tour”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Extremely disappointing. Lots of rambling and not at all funny. People leaving at the interval. Appeared to be a queue of people with various complaints wanting to talk to the General Manager. I was one of them and was promised a phone call back twice. No call ever came. I have been to made comedy shows in Liverpool but Harry Hill was not one of them.

Visited February 2013