“Fantastic in every way!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 1,153 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Grill room in an intimate local restaurant on the border of West Derby. It is family run headed by locally renowned chef Stewart St John and his wife Maisie offering contemporary British cooking from fresh locally sourced produce in a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Fantastic in every way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Just celebrated my birthday with my family in the best restaurant in Liverpool. Had such a wonderful time it's prompted me to write my first review on Tripadvisor! The staff are so friendly and make you feel very welcome. The food was excellent, everything cooked to perfection and full of flavour. My husband said his seafood risotto starter was to die for! My mum really enjoyed her salt cod fishcakes and my son finished his goosnargh chicken by mopping the plate clean with the complimentary bread. Surprised somebody has written they had to pay £2.50 for chips to go with the steak because my eldest son had steak and it came with chips, mushroom and grilled tomato. Makes you wonder if this person has actually visited this restaurant? There were 6 in our party and we all agreed it was a fantastic meal and a great evening out. Will definitely be going to the Grill Room again soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“"A Hidden Gem"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We went to this place a few weeks back, just haven't had chance to write a review... Alls I can say is 'wowza guys - not to be drove past!' This is a truly little hidden gem.. The place itself is beautifully decored, the ambience is fab, and the staff and owner Stuart are amazing.!!!
My hubby and I had a really lovely night, his steak was awesome and my chicken with couscous was real tasty .. With being a pub restaurant manager myself I am very choosy and picky.. And I can honestly say this ticked all boxes.. I did mention to my hubby the lighting could be lowered as it seemed a little bright .., then amazingly the lights were lowered which they must do through service.. The dark haired lady who served us (think her name was Cecile.) was lovely and Stuart was an amazing host and chef.. Well done guys.. Keep it up.!! and we'll certainly be returning soon.. Danny and Shell :-)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“very average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

nice place ,nice staff but make sure you take salt because the food is bland ,the food just never had any flavour. I personally thought it was over priced don,t like it when you have to pay £2.50 for chips to go with a £16 pound steak . Average pub food at restaurant prices.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Liverpool
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We were planning a meal out for my birthday but was unsure of where to go. After consulting trip advisor I chose The grill room for two reason, reviews and it is 5 minutes from where I live! Wow what a find! Firstly restaurant was full with dining customers which is always a good sign. Food was served really quickly by very helpful and friendly staff. I had salt & pepper ribs, my husband tomato soup- beautiful. For mains salmon with seafood risotto which was delicious and my husband had steak which was cooked to perfection(med/rare). Both we're piping hot and freshly cooked. They had evil offers on of two course for £12.95 or three course for 15.95. Food was that nice we stayed for ice cream sundae!!! This was my first visit here even though I live locally but one thing for sure it will not be my last! By the way they do Sunday lunch too! Proprietors, despite restaurant being really busy still took time to chat, lovely touch. Fab fab fab, a must for all .

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
liverpool
“Great Food Great Price Hidden Gem! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Dont argue over whos cooking tea!!!! Just go the grill rooms 2 courses for £12.95 !! I almost needed rolling home, Fab fresh food, lovely little atmosphere going on, staff are so friendly!!! Cost us less than £40 for 2 courses & a few drinks each PLUS we didn't have to wash the dishes or worry about parking in town!!! Highly recommended very welcoming. Will be returning soon!!!