“Good Value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Kings Dock, Keel Wharf | City Centre, Liverpool L3 4FN, England   |
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Good Value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We visited here for my 21st birthday as a group of friends, the apartment was perfect for us and had plenty of space.
the only downfalls would be that during our stay the hot water run out and took a while to heat back up and also I think the flats would benefit from air condition as we stayed during a hot weekend on the 3rd floor and the windows did not fully open so we were boiling..

other than that, a brilliant stay and would happily return

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Hitchin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Currently staying at The Block apartments overlooking Keel Wharf in Liverpool and perfectly happy with it. Having read the TA reviews prior to booking and finding them, for the most part, positive, I decided to give it a go instead of opting for a B&B deal in a nearby hotel and a decision well taken it was too because I have saved just short of £500 overall!

The apartment I'm in costs just £240 for 4 nights, has 2 bedrooms and can sleep 4 so were it used to its capacity it would have worked out even cheaper as the cost is rated per apartment not per person. There's no breakfast provision but I fetched any "necessaries" from home with me which is what I do if I stay in a hotel anyway.

The apartment has a double room with an en-suite wet room as well as a twin room (but this can be made into a double). Some of the TA reviewers commented on the lack of a door between the bedroom/toilet and whilst I can sympathise with those whose modesty prevents them from using the loo if a partner/sharer is just a few yards away, having seen the en-suite set up for myself would just say they need to get over themselves and take 4, maybe 5 more steps and use the main bathroom instead! There were also comments re. lack of hot water but this was not the case during my visit.

Overall, whilst not entirely perfect (which can also be said of a number of the bigger, branded chains) The Block is certainly good value for money. Positives include: Good size and spacious; 2 bedrooms, one with en-suite wet room, a large bathroom with both bath and electric shower, large airy open plan fully equipped kitchen/diner/lounge with view over the keel wharf, convenient location, 24hr reception, roving security and helpful staff.

The negatives in comparison are minimal; Yes, a lick of fresh paint wouldn't go amiss, the outside of the windows could do with a clean and there was a bit of noise as people passed along the corridor on their way back in the evening; the latter of which is beyond the proprietors control but are these deal-breakers?? Of course not!

I wasn't planning on spending much time in the apartment during my visit so this was the ideal, cost-effective option for my trip. That said, it would have been an equally suitable option if I had been staying in more. I also think it would be good value for a family - certainly cheaper and more space than staying in a hotel.

I would definitely stay here (or similar) again and would probably recommend that my colleagues opt for something like this for future business-related trips.

Room Tip: Nothing in particular really. I just read the TA reviews beforehand, noted any recurring themes (in...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Stafford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

These apartments are ok, but nowhere near enough good enough for the money they ask for. If you're a first time Ikea type home buyer you might like it ... A bit "starter home-ish" for me. The only complimentary kit you'll get is a few tea bags and uht milks. Remember to take what you need yourself. Warning - cleaners only seem to get 25mins per apartment ...

Room Tip: Ask for a two bedroom apartment (but realise that one will have no window)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights for a conference, we chose the block as it was very close to the ACC and cheaper than booking hotel rooms nearby.
When we arrived we struggled to find the reception - I pointed out to the receptionist they could do with a sign from the car park to save guests from wandering around carrying luggage! (If you are going to stay here, exit the car park and turn left, the reception is round the corner and not very clearly marked)
The rooms were small, the furnishings basic and the decor tired - for a building which looks relatively new it doesn't appear to have been maintained brilliantly. The en suite wet room in the twin room doesn't have a door - not ideal for two friends sharing the room! And very odd as it would be a simple thing to add and would make the area useable.
The double bedroom was tiny and had no window making it feel a little claustrophobic.
Regarding cleanliness, it appeared to have been cleaned thoroughly however not recently - there was a layer of dust over the kitchen/living area furniture.
Small basic improvements would have made a difference - hooks in the bathroom or a towel rail for example.
Overall it served our purpose and the location was perfect for us but I would have been disappointed had I spent more than we did (£80 per night between four people).

• Stayed June 2013
Selby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed over night whilst meeting up with my partner who is in the Royal Navy & based at Albert Dock. I did find it difficult to find as both the sat nav & directions weren't very good. The staff very very helpful & friendly & supplied an information sheet with contact numbers & taxi if required. The parking is actually the multi storey next to the block but the reception gave me a discount for 25% of the cost which meant for the overnight stay, parking was £7.50. The apartment room 108 was on the first floor, a double room. The room was both clean & comfortable & in a fantastic location, being a few minute walk to Albert Dock. Tea & coffee were supplied & the apartment was well equipped. Overall a pleasant stay, close to restaurants, bars & sightseeing. I would stay here again & would recommend for anyone wanting a self catering base to visit Liverpool.

Room Tip: Away from the road & traffic noise
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for my hen do, it was a great base for the activities my chief bridesmaid had planned near Albert Dock. The apartments were clean and spacious, only drawback was the bathroom in one of the bedrooms didn't have a door! Otherwise, everything about the Block was great.

• Stayed June 2013
Bingley, West Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We booked two, 2 bedroomed apartments for 10 of us over the bank holiday weekend. The block was easy to find and parking was very convenient. On arrival, the staff were really helpful and very friendly...they had even made us little slips with the security code on in case we got split up on our night out. The apartments were very modern and clean with fabulous views onto the Albert docks. In terms of location, we were right on the docks and just a few minutes away from the bars and restaurants. We got a taxi to Alma de Cuba (the staff at the apartments ordered it for us) and it only cost £3...great! Overall, the accommodation was exactly what we needed and good value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Block? Share your experiences!