“Style over substance” 2 of 5 stars

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Street Food
“Style over substance”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We popped in out of the cold for a warming meal of "pieminster" pie, peas, mash & gravy. We ordered 2 "chicken of aragon" pies & 1 "moo moo " british beef pie. When the order was served at the table, the girl said "2 chicken?" & we eagerly started to tuck in. Unfortunatly, my chicken pie turned out to be beef! I was disappointed, as I don't normally eat beef, but thought I'd eat it anyway as I don't like making a fuss. after a bite of it though & it was tasteless so I mentioned it to my family who said to tell the waitress so I could change it for a chicken pie as ordered. The waitresses immediate response was that we ordered 2 beef pies & 1 chicken, when she was asked to look at the order, she said she hadn't written it down. No apology or offer to change the pie was offered, in fact she just walked away & no more was said. I swapped with my Daughter so I could have her chicken pie but this wasn't the point. This was also bland.
During the meal, my Daughters glass was dirty - it had lipstick on it - luckily she had used a straw up to then but she then left the rest of the drink. I used the toilet, which was hard to find I had to ask. There was toilet paper in one of the 3 toilets, which looked like they needed a good wash down, including the walls & floors. Then the hand dryer didn't work so I had to dry my hands with toilet paper.
Not impressed in this - it was disappointing, especially as we are local & hate to complain about our local amenities. It looks great when you walk in, all check floors & bold art work, modern & you feel it will be sumptous. Unfortunatly, the experience left us with a nasty taste in our mouths & we won't be going back - pity.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Lazy Sunday afternoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We wandered into the Lodge after a discovery stroll of the area having recently moved in. We had the Sunday roasts and several pints of the real ale on draught. We couldn't fault it, absolutely outstanding food and drink. Great pub, unusual style. A real gem.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Beer served with a scowl”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Seriusly, come here if you like a flat beer served with a scowl. Your more than welcome here if you don't bother the staff with silly requests for a pint or any sort of service.

Rude staff, forgotton food orders, ignored at bar, horriible toilets and did I mention the sour-baked staff who are clearly in the wrong industry.

No idea what's going on in this hole but best avoided. Alarm bells should have signalled when they were still advertising Christmas dinner ( in February) Clearly the owner /manager couldn't give a fiddlers what goes on.

Do yourself a favour and go anywhere else.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Standard pub with standard pies”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Me and a couple of mates went here for the 'Pieminster' pies and a couple of pints.

Standard pies a little on the expensive side with peas that tasted of mint, and gravy and mash. Selection of drinks is alright, but if you want a proper selection then head down to Bier (a partner company of the Lodge sometimes serving the same Pieminster pies).

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Liverpool
“Don't Bother”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I don't know what is worse, the service, the food or the toilets. As someone who lives just off Lark Lane it pains me to criticize a local establishment & I've been a few times in the hope of improvement but it just gets worse. Won't be returning unless a change of management occurs.

• Visited January 2013