“A Very Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 100 hotels in Liverpool
Durham
“A Very Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza and found it to be very well appointed, easy to find and all round a very good stay.
The room was a good size with everything you'd come to expect of a hotel of its type.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful.
It was a weekday and quite quiet for guests but all the better for a good nights sleep as it was nice and peaceful.
If you are in the area and especially if you are flying from Liverpool airport I'd highly recommend it.
I didn't eat in the restaurant but had breakfast which was buffet style.
It wasn't anything flash but was functional and had everything you'd want to eat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

603 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Irvine, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed here for business 13/02/13, would say reception wasn't very welcoming and really wanted a cheery face after 5 hour train journey!! Nice big rooms, great food and had the most comfiest bed ever!! Will defo stay here again :-)

• Stayed February 2013
Mansfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I arrived early around 7.15 am and wanted to have a shower and use the gym before the rest of my family arrived. The night manager would not let me use the gym or showers and said the people from the night before were still using them. He said i could sit in the lounge! I did not expect to be given a room but at lease use of the leisure facilities which are at the David Lloyd. I refused to stay after the poor customer service and so stayed at a newer hotel.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Amanda N,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I'm deeply sorry for any inconveniences you have experienced due to the level of customer service you received. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed at the hotel because of a family funeral/ wake being held at the hotel. So we didn't make the choice to stay there, however the staff were very welcoming on arrival, and helpful throughout our 2 day stay. The room was so spacious, clean and tidy. We arrived during snow and very cold weather, and the room was warm- despite our 10pm arrival. We had breakfast both mornings which had a wide variety of choice. The staff were friendly and accommodated for our large group booking- although the restaurant was not busy, the staff gave enough attention to ensure our needs were met- however gave us the space. The bathroom was grand and both towels and surface seemed clean to a high standard. The shower was excellent- very powerful, just what you need to wake you up!! I loved the history of the building and would definitely choose to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in September and I wrote a review on how bad the housekeeping was. I was telephoned by the head hose keeper, Joanne, advised that she was relatively new and that I would notice a real difference if I came back. Assured by this, we visited this hotel again in January. As usual, reception staff were lovely. We had a good size room and the beds and bathroom were serviced in between our two nights this time. However, the surfaces were still dirty and I took photos to show the reception staff, who asked me to forward them to housekeeping which I did. Since that time I have heard nothing, so I contacted guest relations and have still heard nothing.
We had a broken light above the dressing table. It was reported on the Friday night, but could not be fixed as they don't fix things over the weekend. The final bill was wrong but was amended instantly as soon as I told them.
Service at breakfast was slow. We waited so long, we just sat down and were half way through our cereal before someone appeared. The quality of the breakfast was ok, but we were not offered tea or coffee, probably the penalty for not waiting to be seated.
I have given this tying a 3 star because the reception staff were marvellous. They were attentive and considerate, but were limited to what they could do. The room itself was a good size, but the air con heating was only full on or full off. They had a good standard of furniture bedding and curtains, but being able to draw in the dirt, is not very inspiring.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear J0lly_J0hn,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Liverpool.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Stokesley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have spent over a year going to this hotel for a night or two every week, until recently. It was just a job change that has stopped me staying there - nothing to do with the hotel itself I have to say.
I probably should have reviewed earlier, but in hindsight perhaps it is as well I didn’t as I have seen it change a little.
Firstly in all that time I have never once used the bar or had an evening meal there, so I can only really comment on the hotel in general, the rooms, the service of the staff and breakfasts.
Firstly the Hotel occupies the old terminal building of Liverpool airport which is an art deco style of architecture and they have carried this on in the interior design which looks very smart and just a little different from your average airport hotel. Poirot would be at home here, by which I don’t mean it hasn’t been decorated since the 1920’s, but rather the modern renovations have successfully captured the feel of that period. This style runs through the reception area with its coffee bar behind and continues in the bedrooms which I had to admit when I first stayed there had a certain “wow” factor with me thinking “this is really nice!”.
There is some parking at the front of the hotel but this gets full quite quickly so you are lucky to get a space there until after 5pm (people like me who park there and work within walking distance) but there is ample room to the rear of the hotel on the old runway which is used as the overflow, where you can park amongst the discarded sections of old aircraft (an interesting sight to start with).
The rooms vary quite a bit but all I have used have comfortable beds with thick duvets and plenty of pillows. There is also plenty of accessible power sockets for people like me that have gadgets galore to plug in. Some rooms have a fridge in them (which I believe you can ask to be stocked as a mini bar if you want) but not all, which for me was a pain every now and then when they didn’t, as I often “dined” in my room having visiting the M&S Simply Food across in the shopping centre on the opposite side of the road to the hotel. When you are there a few nights, it was nice to be able to keep stuff chilled. Another random item was a sitting chair (as opposed to the desk chair) which again some rooms had and others didn’t, and again when you are there so often is nice to have as when reading I’d prefer to sit in a chair than on the bed.
If I recall correctly I think every room had a bath in the bathroom rather than just a shower which I was glad of as the showers themselves I found to be rubbish – they looked nice, in the sense that they were in keeping with the deco style, but they were fixed to the wall and I like to be able to hold a shower head to point water where I want it rather than just stand under a not so powerful flow. Other than that the bathrooms were usually fine but again varied from room to room (it’s an old building so by it’s nature rooms are different sizes to fit in) with some having quite limited space by the sink to unload all your toilet gear – but that’s a fairly minor point.
I have heard a few people say they think the rooms should get renovated as some still had tube TVs rather than flat screen, but that didn’t bother me in the slightest – where I felt they should start with renovations was the desk chair as in many rooms I had this was old, wearing thin and quite uncomfortable to sit in. It was however the only thing that was consistently noticeable as in need of refurbishment from my view though. Other than the only recurring problem I had was the plumbing in many rooms which certainly had issues with the sink draining water very, very slowly.
Breakfast is a help yourself buffet affair which is nothing special but also nothing really wrong with it. However, here is where having stayed here for over a year I have seen things change as when I first stayed coffee was brought to your table fresh in a pot when you came in and ordered, and also there was a menu selection of breakfast items you could order fresh such as (one of my favourites) Eggs Benedict, but by the time I last went (December 2012) you had to help yourself to the coffee from the urn and the fresh menu had disappeared.
Service in the mornings at breakfast could be a little hit and miss in terms of speed so actually being able to help yourself is probably an improvement on some mornings sadly.
In general terms service from the staff was always very good throughout the hotel and reception was friendly and helpful virtually the whole time I was there.
All in all, given that being away from home on a regular basis is never a fun activity; I have to say that this Hotel made the experience an awful lot more pleasurable than it could have been. It’s a comfy night’s sleep, in a really pleasant atmosphere with interesting décor, and the staff are great. No it’s not perfect, but it’s getting a lot more right than it’s getting wrong.

Room Tip: Avoid 260/2/4 as there seems to be machinery somewhere that really vibrates in these rooms - I had r...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza this weekend gone (2nd to 3rd Feb) and I must say it was a very nice hotel. The room we stayed in (room 208) was large, clean and excellently presented. The art deco styling was very tasteful and made for a pleasant environment. If I have criticism is that the beds were too soft, although this is purely my opinion as some people do like soft beds. The room cost 80 pounds, which for the standard I was happy to pay, especially in Liverpool.

We paid the extra 10 pounds each for breakfast and although I thought it was slightly pricey when paying, the food was of good standard and the selection was plentiful so I no complaints there. The restaurant area was very stylish and although we only ate breakfast there, I can imagine the night time atmosphere being good.

Another good feature is check out being 12 o clock so there's no need to rush. Staff seemed friendly enough and they arranged a taxi into town for us. It was £10 to get into town which I didn't think was too bad.

You are also given free access to the David Lloyd gym next door, and although we didn't use it, it was a good plus point.

Room Tip: 208 was quiet, clean, pleasant and large
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport? Share your experiences!