“Loved the Aachen” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aachen Hotel

You added Aachen Hotel to your Saves list
Aachen Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   89 - 91 Mount Pleasant, Liverpool L3 5TB, England (Central Liverpool)   |
Ranked #31 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Abingdon, Oxford
“Loved the Aachen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

I stayed at the Aachen hotel for two nights recently. What a great hotel! I found the atmosphere really relaxing and I was made to feel really welcome. The staff certainly went the "extra mile"; sorry if that sounds to cliche but it is true.

The location of the Aachen is great for trips into the lively centre of Liverpool. All the attractions are within a short walking distance but are far enough away so you can still relax.

I love my food and the breakfasts are certainly something to write home about. Would stay again if I ever re-visit Liverpool; which I am sure I will!

• Liked — Brekfast and friendly staff
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
South West England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2008

We have just returned from our third stay at the Aachen, which was a pleasure. A warm easy atmosphere, home from home.
The resent refurb of the bar and reception is lovely.

We had tickets for the Liverpool V Reading game, about a ten minute taxi ride to Anfield, a short 5 min walk to the shops (plenty of them!), it is also 5 minuted to all the bars, if you are looking for a good night out.

If you ask the hotel will give you plenty advise to assist your stay, they are also very responsive by email.

The breakfasts are large with plenty of choice.

Our room came with flat screen TV, tea, coffee and biscuits, also clean towels everyday.

Will be going back again later this year

• Liked — Staff & location
  • Disliked — Leaving to come home
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

Two adults and two children age 9 and 11 had a very good stay for 5 days at Aachen Hotel. The first floor family en suite room with an extra bed was very suitable for us. Excellent breakfast, both continental and English and additional food that is rarely offered in other smaller hotels. Good and friendly service from staff. Cleaning was good. Aachen is situated close to the city centre, only minutes to walk to shopping area, train stations and the cathedrals.

• Liked — Breakfast, service and cleanliness
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

We ended up at the Aachen Hotel only because I couldnt find a place that would book three people to a room (i.,e. Premier Inns) and I am VERY glad we did. We absolutely loved the charm of this place. True there is no elevator, yes it is more of a B&B than a hotel and yes the bathroom was small........but I have absolutely no complaints about any of it. The hosts were friendly & helpful. I thought the decor was charming and the place was more than just clean. We had a full breakfast the next morning - and being used to American "breakfast included"...which is usually coffee, pastry or a bagel....this was great. It was a few minute walk from the Lime Street Station and walkable to most of the things we wanted to do. If I ever have the treat of getting back to Liverpool I wont look to book anywhere else.

• Liked — The charm of the hotel
  • Disliked — Cant Think of a thing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

In some ways I might be seen as an awkward customer, because I am a vegan. However when the hotel were told, they contacted me to find out exactly what my requirements were; and when I arrived I found that they had purchased a number of vegan products - soya milk, margarine, rashers, chocolate dessert, yoghurt, cheese - which is the best selection I have ever come across at a non-vegetarian establishment. The staff were friendly and willing to have a joke with you, so overall I was really pleased.

There was also wireless internet that was easy to connect to, enabling me to do a bit of work as well. With it being so close to the venue I was visiting every day, the Aachen was ideal.

• Liked — Their willingness to support vegans!
Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Bolton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2008

I booked this hotel based upon 2 things. 1 I needed a hotel close to LIPA and 2 the reviews on this site. I have just spent one night at the hotel and the only thing I can say is that I am glad it was only one. I agree that the hotel is very clean. But that is about it. In reality this is not really a hotel but a B&B. The public areas, with the exception of the reception/bar area are very tired. I felt like I was in an episode of life on Mars, the decor is definitely straight from the 70s. I had a room on the top floor, to which there is no lift, the room itself was quite small, but the en suite was laughable. It was so small that if you went in forwards you had to back out. The shower was less than inviting, the washbasin was so small as to be next to useless, the loo didn't flush properly and the shaver point didn't work. After a poor nights sleep on an unbelievably hard bed I was looking forward to the wonderful breakfast talked about in the previous reviews. How disappointed I was, I was served coffee that was so strong and bitter it was undrinkable at a table that was set like a Blackpool guest house( I had never seen ketchup and brown sauce in vinegar bottles before). The service was akin to Fawlty towers and the food was dire. I left my meal, checked out and headed for a local greasy spoon where I Had a far superior full English for
£3. Would I return, never, was it worth £65 a night? I don't think so. My advice would be to spend an extra £20-£30 and book a real hotel

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2008

The Aachen hotel was located within 5 min walk from the Lime St train station. Easily accessible even with luggage.
The receptionist immediately recognized and called me by name when I walked in. Helped me with my luggage to my room.
Spacious, tastefully decoreated rooms. Wireless internet that worked. Outstanding cook-to-order breakfast; even remembered what I had the day before.
Excellent value for your money. Will return.
David Wong
Toronto

• Liked — friendliness, value
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Aachen Hotel? Share your experiences!