“Nothing outstanding” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Lord Nelson Hotel

You added The Lord Nelson Hotel to your Saves list
The Lord Nelson Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hotham Street, Liverpool L3 5PD, England (Central Liverpool)   |
Ranked #53 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Conwy, United Kingdom
“Nothing outstanding”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

My fiance and I stayed here for two nights and we were unimpressed from the start. The girl at the reception was friendly enough but we were surprised to be informed that breakfast would only be continental. My fiance is a fan of full English! We feel that the price for the rooms per night should include full english

When we arrived at the room we noticed how sparse and cold the room was. The Window curtains are very thin and have some of the clips missing so they do not hang properly. Quite a lot of mildew on the windows. The walls and woodwork are grubby and there was hardly any furniture in the room and no wardrobe. Tea and coffee facilities were very basic and only three coffee strips and four milk cartons between two. We went to a shop and bought our own milk and coffee.

The en-suite was very small and I am smaller than my fiance, but even I had to almost sit sideways on the toilet as the sink got in the way. The bathroom wasn't as clean as it could've been and the heater in the bathroom did not work, nor did the wall heater in the bedroom. But, they had left a freestanding heater for our use which was considerate.

The throw on the bed was stained and the duvet was very thin so the nights were cold.

We noticed the signs on the lift stating it is switched off between 10pm and 7.30am to minimise noise to guests. Laughable really as there was plenty of other noise to make up for it! The hotel is on top of the train station and as the windows are so thin we could hear the trains arriving and leaving the station even at 5am! We also have taxi ranks right outside the hotel so could hear clearly night time revellers talking, shouting and arguing outside. To top it all off.....our room was right next to a fire door which slammed and banged at all hours! I thought fire doors were fitted will those soft close hinges?

Our second night was the worst as a group of stags and hens must have come for a Friday night out. I don't begrudge them having a fun night out, what I didn't like was the fact that I was kept awake hearing them going up and down the corridor outside our room knocking on each others doors, talking, shouting and laughing. At times it felt like they were in the room with us! Also I felt uneasy that the safety latch on the door did not work so I couldn't double lock the door.

We feel that this hotel is dated and needs a complete refurb and thicker doors and double glazing and soundproofing to be able to justify the accommodation prices.

Also needs to have more breakfast options

P.Sorry. Definitely will not stay here again!

Room Tip: Don't think any room would be quieter than another
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I was a bit disappointed in this hotel. Having spent a few nights at a small B'&'B in Edinburgh 3 days before I was expecting more from the breakfast than what I got. I don't mind a simple breakfast of croissants, fruit and yoghurt, but when they are of very cheap standard it doesn't quite add up. The room was great but could do with a touch of paint, new pillows and a bit of TLC in the shower room. On the plus very friendly staff and a great bar open late at night. Good for one night when exploring the city. Perfect for a solo traveller. Being right next to Lime Street Station is a bonus too.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Second stay here - would recommend it, particularly if you're going to the O2 Academy - it's right next door! And the price is unbeatable.

DON'T expect luxury, but this place is clean, and comfortable enough as a base to see Liverpool - about 2 mins from Lime Street station, and about 4 mins from coach station.

Can't comment on the breakfast, because I didn't have it; and there were "issues" with the hot water in my room on my most recent trip, but I'll forgive them - everything else suited me very well.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
County Tyrone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed here for only one night. Location is brilliant, city centre- close to Lime St station and shopping centres. Staff are friendly and helpful. Rooms are very clean however slightly lacking in furniture- no desk, chair, wardrobe- however a massive tv! Breakfast was what it said on the tin. Overall a good stay!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Amazing location. So central to everything and get the train to lime street... It's right next door. The room was ok. A little shabby decor but massive tv! The bathroom was clean and the bed looked relatively clean but it was so uncomfortable. My back is still hurting now. They need to invest in some new mattresses and better pillows. Breakfast was extremely disappointing for the money I paid. I wanted eggs and bacon but alas I settled for toast with unspreadable butter!! The breakfast room was also strange. The low chairs were not fitting for me to eat breakfast. Too many people too few tables. Overall it was fine but if I came to Liverpool again I wouldn't stay here. Also I only stayed for one night. I wouldn't stay anymore than that!

• Stayed February 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I was in town for to sing in a concert at the Philharmonic hall, and opted for an overnight stay to avoid a late night car journey. The Lord Nelson was suggested as a good value hotel near the train station (Lime Street) and I was impressed.

Pre checking in and dropping my bag off at the luggage room was easy. It meant that I could just pick up my room key and go into my room when I returned.

The room was clean and basic, but with a large ensuite bathroom with clean towels and toiletries. The bed was comfortable, with dark curtains and minimal street noise. There is a resident night porter, who will challenge non residents and maintain a quiet environment. I know because at about 3am on the Sunday morning one of the other guests was trying to persuade him that the young lady with him was his "neice". It was a great story to tell when I got home and I managed to get back to sleep again.

Breakfast was served in the bar area, and was continental buffet style.

All the staff I spoke to were friendly and helpful. A great budget hotel. Thanks for a good stay!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street can be noisy. Ask to be moved if this is a problem
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Amlwch, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Next door to the O2 and lime street station. I stayed on a Friday night to attend a gig, rooms are nice good sized tv clean staff very friendly, one young lady even lent me her iPhone charging cable. I didn't wait for breakfast but it looked nice, ideal for a city centre stay, car parking was close by at another hotel and was £6 - not unusual for a city centre hotel - would definitely stay again

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Been to The Lord Nelson Hotel? Share your experiences!