“Ideal location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Lord Nelson Hotel

You added The Lord Nelson Hotel to your Saves list
The Lord Nelson Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hotham Street, Liverpool L3 5PD, England (Central Liverpool)   |
Ranked #55 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Durham, United Kingdom
“Ideal location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Staying for 2 nights all we needed was somewhere to rest our heads. So i'm not slating the hotel as it did it's job, this is just some pros/cons to help. It was clean, friendly and ideally situated to the station and easy walking distance to the centre. The rooms were basic, tea/coffee facilities, no hairdryer, room telephone or remote for tv. Lifts were switched off after 10.30pm so as not to disturb guests, disco next door went quiet about 11ish and although there was signs allover for guests to be quiet...it wasn't. The bed was the most uncomfortable i have ever slept in!! Continental breakfast was available but we just went to Wetherspoons round the corner. I would go back but i would look at an alternative first.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Armagh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Booked hotel for two nights,which included breakfast,was a bit disappointed it was just cereal and toast as this was not stated,thought it would have been bacon,sausage etc
On second morning we arrive down at the same time and and this grumpy man shouts breakfast is over five mins,as we where beside the breakfast table,he started to carry everything of it and wouldn't allow us or offer us breakfast!!
There is no notice in the rooms to set breakfast time or no one told us!!
Wasn't very impressed with the manner!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Booked the hotel directly via telephone, paid £20 deposit and was told will have £100 to pay when we arrive. Fine, not a problem. Arrive at the hotel for our weekend (I was there to see my favourite band play next door at the O2 Academy) and was told we would have to pay £130. Questioned why the price has changed since I booked, couldn't explain was told that's the price it had always been. Fine, yet again, nothing was going to spoil my weekend, I had waited four years to see this band! Lovely looking hotel.. Until we got to our room. The curtains were hanging down the single pain windows that were absolutely COVERED in thick black mould. The walls were also covered in mould, which had just been repeatedly painted over. The carpet was tatty and torn around the edges where it met the wall, and the bed was more like a duvet, solid and wickedly uncomfortable. The second night, Saturday, we went out the front for a cigarette and got chatting to a guy who had flown from Dublin for the weekend. Got to talking about prices we had paid and state of room etc, was shocked to hear he had only paid £30 per night.

I went to the front desk to question and was asked how I had booked. They said that if we had gone through a 3rd party they can't offer the discounts available by booking with them direct. She said it should be £52 for Friday night and x amount for Saturday. She didn't understand our booking on the computer so I said I would come back down in an hour and see what they have to say. Going back to the room, me and my fella got to chatting and we decided that the places is a joke and we wouldn't be going back. Didn't question them again was just glad to be getting out of there. The location is spot on, everything else is a joke.

May have been a one off, don't really care.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I was in Liverpool for a conference as part of work- having stayed elsewhere last year I was on a tighter budget this time around so had to prioritise price over the bells and whistles. My philosophy being that I just needed somewhere to lay my head, I managed to find a room for two nights (which included a Friday night) for less than £80 and assumed that I would have to be prepared for really basic and possibly pretty drab surroundings, especially being that price so close to the city centre.
I was very surprised then when I checked in and saw a simple but fresh looking single room. I didn't expect the flat screen TV and the free wifi signal was very strong and worked well. It was clean and while compact, was ideally suited to my needs-in fact rather than simply being a crash pad I spent more time in the room than I had planned.

The shower and toilet facilities were clean and modern looking. Other reviews did mention the noise but to be honest I slept very well and the levels were not too high- to be fair if other guests decide to be noisy then that is hardly the fault of the hotel, and thankfully there were no real issues in relation to this. The staff were friendly and efficient and willing to help out.
So basically I would recommend this hotel to people who are on a budget and want to be close to a lot of amenities and transport options in Liverpool. Obviously if you are one of the fussier types who spends most of their stay in hotels looking for something to whine about then this may not be the place for you, but if you are level headed and don't feel the need to demand that your backside is wiped for you every time you stay somewhere, and want a basic but comfortable and honest experience for reasonable money then I would recommend The Lord Nelson.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Sevenoaks
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Good hotel for a quick visit.I stayed only one Saturday night but the staff were friendly and the room decent enough with shower room en suite.Tea and coffee making is in the room.The centre of Liverpool is a short walk away as is the railway station in Lime Street.There was an excellent continental breakfast in the morning.
The only problem I had was when coming back to my room at night I found it shaking from the beat from a nearby disco.Fortunately it stopped about midnight. I went off to sleep but was awakened by a fire alarm at 4am that turned out to be a false alarm- to be fair the hotel was in the process of bring refurbished - and the staff I met on the stairs were quick to reassure me that all was well.
A good value hotel for an overnight stop or if you are late nighters!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed with my wife for a gig at the 02 next door so the location was perfect, it was also next door to lime street station and a 5 minute walk into the city centre! We are both young and working part time so finding a reasonably priced hotel was essential and the Lord Nelson no full English was very disappointed with this i will not be stay there again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed with a friend for a gig at the 02 next door so the location was perfect, it was also next door to lime street station and a 5 minute walk into the city centre! We are both young and working part time so finding a reasonably priced hotel was essential and the Lord Nelson did a great job. The staff were lovely and friendly, the room was basic but clean and looked recently redecorated. The only qualm I had was the stain on a bath towel I'd been provided with... bit grim! Otherwise, great and the staff were helpful about the issue. Bathroom was clean too. Breakfast was basic but for the price you can't argue, it served it's purpose and the waitress was helpful and attentive to all the customers. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013

Been to The Lord Nelson Hotel? Share your experiences!