“Exceeded expectations” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thistle Liverpool City Centre, Atlantic Tower

You added Thistle Liverpool City Centre, Atlantic Tower to your Saves list
Thistle Liverpool City Centre, Atlantic Tower
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Chapel Street, Liverpool L3 9RE, England (Central Liverpool)   |
Ranked #34 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Kingston upon Hull
“Exceeded expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

My partner and I recently stayed for 2 nights inc breakfast at the Atlantic Hotel which we considered to be a extremely pleasurable stay. The hotels was in a brilliant location close to Albert Dock and the shopping district. The hotel was clean, the room was superb with an excellent panoramic view of the Mersey. The breakfast was delicious with a huge selection to cater for all. However, I believe it is the staff that make this hotel, being very attentive, kind and polite which was refreshing from the usual indifference often witnessed in other establishments. In fact, the only thing that let the weekend down, was the weather!

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor to get the brilliant views!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Liverpool City Centre, Atlantic Tower, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear Gemma V,
Many thanks for your kind review and delighted that we exceeded your expectations.
The commments you made regarding the team will greatly encourage them and are much appreciated. If only we could manage the weather too!
Kindest regards,

Alistair Risk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed there with a friend on a Friday night. It was a special offer and good value for money. The hotel is a bit old style and the rooms are smallish. We booked a twin room and the beds were most disappointing. Military style, small and the mattresses are not worth mentioning. For a hotel with 4 stars one would expect a bit more but then again it was a special offer. I would have been upset had I paid the full price. Having said all this, the hotel is within walking distance of the city centre and the Beatles museum, so a good base for tourists.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Edmond_Dantes99,
Thank you for your review above.
I was pleased to see that you found the hotel to be a good base, and managed to secure a special offer. Sorry to hear your views about the beds. We have recently changed all of the beds in the hotel to Hypnos, possibly the best beds on the market for a great night's sleep. We do have a number of different room sizes, and to be honest the rate paid does have some influence on the rooms allocated if we are at high demand, however, we have invested heavily in our bedroom stock over recent years, and having recently completed the upgrade of one of our few remaining floors I am sorry that you did not have a more positive impression.
Your feedback is of course well received and thanks again for taking the time to post your review.

Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

I stayed just for one night and it was clean, comfortable but not deluxe as advertised. The staff were excellent though and couldn't do enough. The main bar has great views and the staff were very cheery but the food was quite strange, a little bit 'Happy Shopper' for my liking. The rooms were very small and disappointing. I personally like space but if you don't mind a small room then this is fine. The location is good.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room as they are bigger.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sharon-Veritas ,
Thank you for taking the time to post the above review, which I read with mixed feelings.

I was of course delighted to note that you found the staff to be excellent, and the rooms to be clean. Cheery staff in the bar is also great, but I am sorry to read of your meal experience. We do have a very good menu with a good standard, and I am sorry that this was not evident for you. We have had a short period where our kitchen was refurbished over the last few weeks which meant our menu was a little more limited, but I would be keen to understand your comments further. So sorry that it did not meet your expectations.
We do have a mixture of room sizes also, and our deluxe rooms are named as such due to the level of refurbishment rather that the size of the rooms. Do let me know personally if you are back in town and I would be keen to ensure you were allocated a corner room.
Thanks again for your feedback,

Limerick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Had a wonderful experience here from the moment we arrived. All the staff are friendly & helpful. The hotel is comfortable & clean. The standard rooms are compact yet adequate as it's right along the river & you really won't want to spend too much time inside. The bathroom is very compact yet clean, with plenty of towels & toiletries. We asked for a high floor so the views of the Mersey were spectacular. The restaurant has incredible views, a wonderful way to enjoy breakfast. Plenty of food, usual choices & good selection of hot food for veggies :) found the staff lovely even during the usual fast pace of morning breakfast. The bar is currently under renovation but still comfortable & during the good weather the enormous outdoor seating area with amazing views both day & night is a great attraction. It's a fast 10min walk to all the Shops - Liverpool one, eye in the sky etc.. & Albert Dock where lots of delicious restaurants line the dock, bars & night clubs so your closeby everything. We had read amazing reviews about Gusto - an Italian on Albert Dock, booked online before we left home & were delighted that we did. It is a Very noisy restaurant, great atmosphere & if you really want some quiet, then ask for a table upstairs! We were seated by the open to view kitchen & I found it a wonderful experience but hubby thought it was too loud! The food is simply delicious & every mouthfull a treat! There's an express Tesco only @5 min walk away, same direction as Liverpool one, handy for usual necessities! A morning stroll along the mersey is a must & Liverpool Museum only minutes away is Free entry with an incredible array of interesting shows & entertainment for the kids.. Both Young & Old :) In fact we were constantly passing kids in costumes etc so it's obviously a hotspot for families. I'm sure we'll return to Lively Liverpool again & I would be delighted to stay here! Great hotel & lovely staff... a credit to the establishment.

Room Tip: Choose a High floor as views are definitely better.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear EHMkm ,

Thanks you so much for your kind review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that the team were friendly and helpful and that you had such a great view!
Looks like you made the most of your visit to Liverpool too!
Hope to see you back in town again soon,

Thanks again,

Warrington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012 via mobile

Very hard to get to traffic wise. I didn't realise that it catered for a lot of hen and stag parties, which made check in very long and hard work. It took 25 minutes to get to the check in. The room had a fantastic view but was dirty. The sink was cracked in 3 places, there were smears of what looked like blood on the wall. Stains on the carpet, blood droplets on the bedding, rubbish in the drawers. I didn't complain when I was there as we were in a rush to get to a works party, and it was only for 1 night. The breakfast the next morning was crammed and noisy, and the food wasn't great. Basically what I thought was gong to be a classy hotel, wasn't. Very disappointed. If you want a cheap, vibrant loud hotel then this is for you. I paid £59 for 1 night which they say was reduced from £179, and an extra £10 each breakfast. Itis definitely not worth the full price. On checking out the receptionist didn't even make eye contact. The lady in charge of breakfast just barked "room number!" absolutely no manners in this establishment. As mentioned at the start, the view from the room was amazing, facing the Liver building and docks. Don't like to leave negative comments and try to see the good points but sadly there weren't many. Coming down for breakfast we were greeted by drunk people still drinking in the foyer, being quite rowdy, whilst the receptionist ate her breakfast at the desk joking with them, and flirting. She even served me with a mouth full of food! Never again!

Stayed April 2012
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Liverpool City Centre, Atlantic Tower, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Dear helmamma,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I am very sorry to read of what seems to have been a far from satisfactory experience, and offer my sincere apologies.
Friday and Saturday do tend to be busy days for check in, however, we do try to ensure we have at least 3 receptionists on duty to help manage the guests arrival as quickly as possible.
We do cater to some degree for the stag and hen parties, but try to keep the groups to fairly small numbers and on the same floors to ensure other guests are not disturbed.
I am particularly concerned about your comments regarding the room cleanliness and the member of staff on reception. I will endeavour to establish which room you stayed in and follow up with our Housekeeping team and our Reception manager, however, I would be grateful if you could contact me directly at the hotel so that I can get some more details and therefore follow it up effectively.
Clearly your experience was not to our usual or expected standards, and I am keen to resolve the matter both from a service delivery follow up and to restore your faith in us.
Do please make contact. It would be much appreciated.
Kindest regards,

Preston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

One night stay for a concert at the Echo Arena, room ready when we arrived at mid-day, small room but everything we needed (except ironing board - but this was sent up within 30 minutes of request). Bed very comfy - I slept very well and I usually don't so I was happy. ~Our 'noisy' neighbours were just going out as we were settling down for the night (11.30pm) and I was worried they'd wake us at 5am - but I didn't hear them thankfully. We didn't have breakfast so I can't comment. Rooms clean, public areas nice, staff friendly, good location.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Katellen,

Thank you for your kind review, which is much appreciated. I am delighted to note that you found the hotel to your satisfaction and in particular the staff friendly and a good standard of cleanliness.
Hope to see you in town again soon,

Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We stayed for two nights bed breakfast and had a lovely time. The view was superb over the river mersey, room clean and everything we needed. (if a touch small) We had dinner on the first night and wernt dissappointed. Food and service good.. We would recommend Atlactic tower to anyone wanting to be central for the front and a good standard of hospitality.

Room Tip: high room had the good view of the mersey and was quiet
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear patricia66666,

Thank you for your kind review. Delighted that all went well and it's great to see that you would recommend us.
In fact, you have already done so online, so thank you very much indeed.
I hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Alistair

Been to Thistle Liverpool City Centre, Atlantic Tower? Share your experiences!