“Great food awful spa area!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Britannia Adelphi Hotel

You added Britannia Adelphi Hotel to your Saves list
Britannia Adelphi Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ranelagh Place, Liverpool L3 5UL, England (Central Liverpool)   |
Ranked #63 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Great food awful spa area!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Bought a Groupon 1 night deal for £59 for 2 people including 3 course meal and bottle of wine, breakfast and use of spa. Fantastic value! Hotel looks amazing from outside and so close to city centre great for shopping etc. Checked in no problem male receptionist very helpful and friendly. Huge hotel large corridors bit old fashioned, twin room was ok fine for 1 night. Went down to use spa before supper..... WHAT A MISTAKE!! Woman receptionist very rude demanded we prove we were staying at the hotel showed her our room key, not good enough her attitude being we could be anybody!! She insisted we pay I just kept saying we had free use of the spa! But her customer service was zero!!! Got in to spa area it was so dirty it was unbelievable really we were in the swimming pool for 2 min then went to use the sauna which was pointless as the door had a huge gap at the bottom of it!! Nearly ran back to our hotel room to get dry and get clean!! Absolutely horrendous experience!! Anyway went to restaurant very very worried we might have another bad experience. But it was fine lovely staff, friendly and helpful. Food was great and had amazing bottle of rose wine and vegetarian main meal. I can not speak highly enough about the food and the good value deal we had. Breakfast was ok bit busy as didn't realise coach party would be coming down so late, but staff were working hard to clear tables and the choice of food was great. Overall a happy stay but DO NOT USE SPA awful experience, the member of staff Blonde lady called Jean needs some training.

Room Tip: Good for shopping as very central
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Britannia Adelphi Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Hello and thank you for your comments following your stay with us as part of the Groupon ofer. This was an amazing deal, I agree with you. But how disappointing that your lovely stay was spoilt by your visit to the leisure club. I will let the leisure club manager know of your comments and staff attitude and I know she will certainly take your complaint seriously. Thank you for letting us know.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (964)
Ayrshire scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

We booked two rooms in this hotel for two nights on arrival we arrived in the rooms the one on the lower floor was a nice twin room and seemed to be of a generally clean standard.On arrival at the double room it was instantly noticable that the room was dirty.Black dust above the doors tops of mirrors and walls were very dusty.The bathroom walls had not been washed down and were filthy.I dont think the radiators had ever been clean what was in them was just disgusting.The carpets were dirty and the room smelt.
I returned to the front desk and the very nice and pleasant staff offered to send a cleaner to clean the room.Due to the standard I refused as I felt it needed a deep clean not just a quick wipe.I asked for another room and could i check it before we accepted.At first I was told I couldnt do this as they were busy and would need to book someone else into the room(so much for cleaning it !!!) I stood my ground at front desk till they allowed me to look at the next room.
The next room was also well below par but a lot cleaner. However my partner refused to use the shower the floors as the walls were dirty.The rest of the hotel was also very below par in certain places and the supply of dusters to staff could go a long way.
We did book the adelphi due to its lcallity to town and were not looking for great fixtures and fittings but cleanliness was well below par and needs to be addressed throughout the hotel.
As the weekend progressed several areas were of concern and several residents commented on the cleanliness.On the Saturday I asked if I could have an iron and was told none was available and when was available it would be bought to our room !!!! none arrived and as a result were were not able to iron shirts for a formal dinner and had to wear jumpers as the shops had closed and we were unable to buy an iron or shirts.We knocked on all the doors on the sixth floor and were not able to locate a iron from any of the rooms or from other family in the hotel.
In general this hotel has a lot to offer cheap rates and pleasant staff but is let down by standards.I would never stay here again.Liverpool has a unemployment problem try employing some staff and train them to clean..........

Room Tip: Try and get rooms on lower floors they appear bigger with better standards and you dont have to que...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review following your recent stay here. I am really sorry that you were disappointed and aplogise that you found faults with your first bedroom, I will let housekeeping know of your comments. We have many irons and ironing boards in housekeeping and I do not understand why one couldnt have been made available to you, I am sorry you had to wear jumpers to a formal dinner, that must have been very uncomfortable for you and your partner. I am sorry you would not stay with us again.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

Must have been a beautiful hotel once upon a time but sadly no longer. The lay out of the dining room made it feel like a works canteen. Bathroom v grubby. Breakfast uneatable. Good central location though.

• Stayed January 2014
Thankyou for your comments following your stay with us in January. I am sorry you feel the layout of the restaurant resembles a canteen, this style of seating is for convenience for our guests so we can dine more groups together. I shall let housekeeping know your comment regarding the bathroom and many thanks for taking the time to write it.
Bradford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

The Adelphi living off its old art decor past. Huge reception rooms and corridors lead to the rooms. If you look past the tired state they still have most of the original features which would have been wonderful in the 20's.
The room was clean, warm and comfortable.
That's the good bits now the the food.......canteen standard is being generous. Evening meal was all self service from packet type soup, fruit cocktail under cling film. Main course was bland beyond belief with a shortage of most items, what was there was missing a key ingredient....taste.
Breakfast was equally poor standard and if you asked for a cup of tea a waitress came round with a large pot then was never to be seen again.
The hotel has the potential to great once more but of course it won't be cheap to do......but I do think it would be worth it.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your stay with us recently. I am sorry you were unhappy with the quality of the food at dinner and breakfast. I hope this wont deter you from using us again, as so many guests return to us time and again and seem to enjoy the food. Many thanks
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I stayed for 3 nights with my partner and would highly recommend a visit from environmental health!!! I booked a double room and received a twin room even though I was told at reception it was a double. Upon entering the room noticed black fluff on the floor which I thought may have come from my shoes. As I inspected rest of room found it to be all over and made a note to speak to reception. Later that evening I returned and dropped my watch off the night stand I bent down to pick it up and found to my horror a toenail under the bed !!!!
I them noticed a feather boa and dust you could write your name In !!!
I reported this to reception the next day and was promised it would be cleaned properly to
My horror that night the items on the floor were still there !!! I again complained and nothing was done
My partner used a hotel towel to dry herself after a shower and since our stay a week ago has suffered from a very irritating rash which was caused by the linen in the room. One night we actually got stuck in the lift for about 10 mins and was told by reception that happens as it's an old lift !!'
I have since complained to the customer services email and I am awaiting the general manager to return his response to me
My advice do not stay here as it's not clean

• Stayed February 2014
Scarborough
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed at the Adelphi Liverpool as part of our National Coach Holiday. 20th-24th January.
Upon our arrival we were quickly in our room on the 6th floor, it was a standard Britannia room,
worn and tired with the odd bit of wallpaper hanging off. but I must say clean.

Dinner was at 5.30 bit early for me but there were 5 Coaches in. Dinner was on a buffet basis, with a good choice of starter dinner and sweet. it was a bit busy, but nothing too much.

Breakfast was a buffet again with the usual, nothing special, had to chase the tea and coffee as it was brought around by the waitress. near the end of the meal, instead of the start.

The lift on the 6th floor call button did not work, it was reported to reception, on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. with the same inept answer we Know. bearing in mind the Hotel was full of elderly people, not very good.

We used the swimming pool as part of the deal. This was run by Spindles. whom ran the Gym as well. Had to have Injections before I entered the changing rooms dirty, piles of used towels and dirt all over. The swimming pool needed cleaning, as the Marble sides had slime on them. it was very poorly lit. not at all like the hotel brochure.

The hotel was very central, which afforded many music pubs close by, quite a bit of noise at night from traffic, as it was a busy part of town, would I go back again, for what I paid yes, as it was Liverpool we came to experience.

Room Tip: an inside room at the rear would be a bit quieter.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Britannia Adelphi Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for your comments after staying with us as part of National Coach party. We try to work around everyone with timings for dinner and breakfast and theses times are agreed with the coach operator. Unfortunately, the maintenance of the lift is out of our hands and we are reliant on the contracted lift company and despite many telephone calls they did eventually repair it. However, we are aware of the inconvenience this caused our guests and we do apologise for this. I am sorry you found Spindles to be dirty and untidy, I will let the manager know of your comments and again I apologise. I am pleased your experience would not deter you from using us again.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

This hotel is situated right in the middle of Liverpool, close to all shops theatres the rooms are basic could do with an up grade staff are great meals, breakfast is buffet you have wifi in the public lounges the act we went to see was Kings of Queen this act took off Freddie great if you are reading this and a Queen fan you will like this.

Room Tip: don't go at the back of hotel as they have a nice view of the bust bins but don't thet that...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for your review after staying with us in January. I am pleased that overal you appear to have enjoyed your stay, however felt the rooms could be upgraded. We do have many executive rooms, along with jacuzzi rooms and 4 posters, which guests can always pay a supplement to stay in. Maybe if you return to us sometime you can bear this in mind. Wifi is also complimentary and available in hotel bedrooms. Many thanks once again.

Been to Britannia Adelphi Hotel? Share your experiences!