“Cheer Ball” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St. Nicholas Place | Princes Dock, Pier Head, Liverpool L3 1QW, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #22 of 99 hotels in Liverpool
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Cheer Ball”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Recently attended a function at the hotel and was really impressed with this hotel. They made us feel so welcome and the waiting / bar staff were some of the best I've encountered - they really made the night. Would recommend this place to anyone looking for somewhere to hold a function

• Stayed January 2013
CrownePlazaLiverpool, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. It gives me great pleasure to hear that our staff made your evening enjoyable and memorable. Your recommendation of the hotel to other customers looking to hold a function is greatly appreciated.

1,123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Merseyside
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Booked for the New Year's Eve Gala at a charge of £320 for the one night , arrived in the afternoon , On check in , anything I asked about , was told it is all in your letter here with your room card. Well yes the details ..ie time for meeting for dinner were included , but nothing about the spa facilities, the club lounge, afternoon tea or pre dinner drinks . We upgraded to Club expecting something extra. Would not have bothered. Key did not work in the lock of the Club Lounge , asked a member of staff if it was actually closed, he shouted across other guests " Are you entitled to use it ?" ...just as well I'm not easily embarassed . A trip to reception sorted out my key card, they were very busy by now with all the extra NYEve guests arriving , but the receptionist. multi tasking ,was very cheerful and helpful and apologised . My husband had need to go shopping so I stayed to have afternoon tea, but coffee machine in Club Lounge was not working. Very nice young gentleman from the bar suggested he bring a pot of coffee and took my order for afternoon tea. I was a little concerned about my daughter and her family arriving in Liverpool but booked in to another hotel ( because young children weren't allowed at the Gala obviously) this same member of staff, although the hotel was buzzing, found the telephone number for the other hotel via the internet , and I was able to call to find they were arrived safely.
In the evening we stepped out of the lift to be presented with some champagne , Scots piper led us to dinner The candlelit room for the Gala looked stunning ,, the tables were set beautifully and the young waiter assigned to our table could not have been more helpful, cheerful and professional in everyway. A wonderful evening , finished off with late night ( early morning) drinks in the bar .
Breakfast was as expected , a wait for a table , not too long though. Needed my coffee, but kept being told someone would bring it. A bit inconsistent here, as I was served a small cup , some tables were left a pot, my husband had to go in search of butter whilst his breakfast went cold. You have to make toast yourself on one of those infuriating machines.
Did not get time to use the spa or pool .Friends had booked a suite which they were very happy with as it had views of the Liver Buildings and the river. All in all ... a very enjoyable stay . Some things could indeed be better, especially the Club Lounge idea !! Staff are brilliant.

Room Tip: Ask about the rooms with Liver Buildings view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your New Years Eve stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre. It is a pleasure to hear that you received such outstanding service from a particular member of staff and I am delighted that overall you had a very pleasant experience with us. I have noted your comments regarding the Club Lounge. Thanks to recent constructive feedback from our guests we have been reviewing the Club Lounge operations and are instigating changes to ensure that our guests enjoy their executive experience with us. Additionally, in January we launched a new booking process to enable guests to book rooms with guaranteed views of the docks, River Mersey or the Liver Building. Once again thank you for your complimentary comments regarding the staff. I hope we see you and your family next New Years Eve.

Corwen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We have always liked to stay here and are a club
member we are looking to stay in Liverpool
next Sunday for 2 days but everywhere seemed a bit tired last time we stayed , chairs ripped near bar and spa entrance.

Room Tip: Staff have very good attitude but I thinks big upgrade is needed
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
It gives me great pleasure to hear that you have enjoyed your previous stays with us and we truly appreciate your membership with the Priority Club and your loyalty to our hotel. I acknowledge your comments on the maintenance of the hotel and will reflect upon your feedback in any future refurbishment decisions. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

West Mids UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My wife and I visited Liverpool for New Years Eve and decided to book into the Crowne Plaza. We upgraded to CP Club - which is meant to be executive or equivalent, we usually upgrade as we enjoy the lounge on an evening before going out.

The best attribute of the hotel is its' location - a short walk into the City or to the docks, but the best bits end there!

Our room was mediocre at best, it was tired and dated, lacking expected basics let alone any luxuries and lacked basic cleanliness. Examples of this are:
No in room safe - there was one once, judging by the holes in the wall and a safe instruction sticker on the rear of the wardrobe door.
No realistic view of the Mersey - as claimed for all club rooms
No towel hangers/hooks - so towels ended up thrown on the side
Poor toiletries - no shower gel or conditioner. I enquired about shower gel but was told they only have the bath foam, and as for conditioner housekeeping asked me if some from lost property would be ok....obviously not!
No in room TV guide - I had to write down on a sheet of paper which number corresponded with which channel.
Poorly cleaned - the room was dusty and ceilings were littered with cobwebs.

I asked for a bottle opener for our room as there wasn't one, after about half an hour a receptionist came to the room with one, but then said asked me to use it there and then as she had to take it back to the bar - it was apparently the only bottle opener in the hotel.

CLUB LOUNGE:
Don't waste your money or expect anything remotely decent, I'm not sure exactly which club your upgrade at this hotel brings you membership for, but it's certainly not an executive one.. The lounge was poorly stocked and lacked any sign of service. Soft drinks consisted of empty fridges with only tonic water, diet coke and lemonade. There was rarely a stock of glasses or cups, nor afternoon snacks.
On an evening I was even more disappointed - staff had stocked a fridge with some beers, but the beers they used were fresh from the box and warm.

We struggled to find much to compliment here and in my wife's words we felt the hotel was 'playing at it'. The hotel felt like it's being run into the ground and I'd happily put money on it being closed down shortly, or I hope re-furbished!

Come on CP you can do better than this.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaLiverpool, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre. I am disappointed to hear of your experiences. Please accept my sincere apologies that on this occasion we did not provide you with the high quality standards of service you have come to expect from the Crowne Plaza. I have communicated your comments regarding the cleanliness of the rooms, its amenities and the club lounge facilities to the relevant departments for review and will be investigating these matters further, to establish how we can improve the service we provide to our executive guests. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by these oversights and will be endeavoring to ensure that these errors are not repeated in the future. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future, as we would love the opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to improving customer service.

General Manager.
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Great location. lovely reception and bar area. nice staff. clean,modern,spacious,luxurious and nice view from room over the dock.
10minute walk to echo arena or short taxi ride into the centre.
Would stay again and like to experience using the spa facilities.
highly recommended. great value and good breakfast!!

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am delighted to hear that your stay at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre was a luxurious and enjoyable one. If you are interested in our spa facilities there are some spa packages available on our website which may appeal to you. We look forward to having you back in the near future. Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night to attend a meeting h next day. Room was comfy, bar nice and friendly and spacious with nice views over th docks. We used the pool and it had really god extras like the sauna and steam room which we made use of. Breakfast was ok with a wide range hot and cold choices. Centrally located within easy reach of the docks/echo arena and shops.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre. Your comments regarding the rooms, hotel facilities and our convenient location are all greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of our hotel with other travelers.

Lincolnshire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the last few months whilst on business in the city.

The rooms are OK and are typical Crowne Plaza although the ventilation is a bit temperamental to say the least. It's also noticeable that the the rooms are a bit on the small side and the standard rooms are missing essentials for a hotel of this grade such as an in room safe

Breakfast is billed as the best breakfast in town! Now I am afraid that this is simply not true as the best breakfast in town is to be had in the Liver Building next door but I digress.

Breakfast is your typical death by heat lamp with average ingredients sitting around buffet style. If this is not included in your room rate, it isn't worth paying extra for but it's OK.

The bar area is spacious and comfortable although service can be a bit slow even when it isn't busy. Best to just go to the bar yourself rather than wait to get served.

But there are 2 things that really annoy me about this hotel.

Firstly parking is chargeable which in itself is fine but it claims £10 per day for residents. What isn't made clear is that a day is from mid day to mid day. So if you arrive at 8pm in the evening and then don't leave the car park until 5pm the following day (less than 24 hours), there is an additional charge. Clearly a Liverpool day is shorter than the rest of the UK

Secondly is the surcharge for certain credit cards in particular American Express.

At no point when you book the hotel, be it via the Crowne Plaza website or by phone is there any indication that the hotel levies a surcharge for certain credit cards. It is only when you arrive at the front desk that there is a very small sign tucked away at one end stating that a £3 charge will be levied on American Express cards. Because this is not declared at the point of booking, this falls under the category of SCAM! I am told by the front desk staff that this is common with many hotels in Liverpool. Unfortunately it is not something I have ever come across at any other Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Intercontinental Hotel, Hilton or Marriott anywhere else in the world.

So an average hotel that is trying to eek out that little bit of extra cash out of it's guests which leaves a bitter taste ion the mouth the first time you get stung by this.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing your experiences with the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre. Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you by our hotel procedures. At the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre we are keen to provide our guests with good quality service and value; therefore I am disappointed to hear that you have not been satisfied with the service you have received. Please be assured that I have acknowledged your feedback regarding the breakfast, car parking facilities and American Express surcharges and communicated your opinions to the relevant teams within the hotel for review. Constructive feedback like this is greatly appreciated as it informs any future decisions we make when reflecting upon potential areas of development.

Once again, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this feedback and thank you for your continued loyalty to the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Stephen Roberts

Been to Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre? Share your experiences!