“A Run Down Hotel Hiding Behind A Brand - Disappointing!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre

You added Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St. Nicholas Place | Princes Dock, Pier Head, Liverpool L3 1QW, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #23 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
West Mids UK
“A Run Down Hotel Hiding Behind A Brand - Disappointing!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My wife and I visited Liverpool for New Years Eve and decided to book into the Crowne Plaza. We upgraded to CP Club - which is meant to be executive or equivalent, we usually upgrade as we enjoy the lounge on an evening before going out.

The best attribute of the hotel is its' location - a short walk into the City or to the docks, but the best bits end there!

Our room was mediocre at best, it was tired and dated, lacking expected basics let alone any luxuries and lacked basic cleanliness. Examples of this are:
No in room safe - there was one once, judging by the holes in the wall and a safe instruction sticker on the rear of the wardrobe door.
No realistic view of the Mersey - as claimed for all club rooms
No towel hangers/hooks - so towels ended up thrown on the side
Poor toiletries - no shower gel or conditioner. I enquired about shower gel but was told they only have the bath foam, and as for conditioner housekeeping asked me if some from lost property would be ok....obviously not!
No in room TV guide - I had to write down on a sheet of paper which number corresponded with which channel.
Poorly cleaned - the room was dusty and ceilings were littered with cobwebs.

I asked for a bottle opener for our room as there wasn't one, after about half an hour a receptionist came to the room with one, but then said asked me to use it there and then as she had to take it back to the bar - it was apparently the only bottle opener in the hotel.

CLUB LOUNGE:
Don't waste your money or expect anything remotely decent, I'm not sure exactly which club your upgrade at this hotel brings you membership for, but it's certainly not an executive one.. The lounge was poorly stocked and lacked any sign of service. Soft drinks consisted of empty fridges with only tonic water, diet coke and lemonade. There was rarely a stock of glasses or cups, nor afternoon snacks.
On an evening I was even more disappointed - staff had stocked a fridge with some beers, but the beers they used were fresh from the box and warm.

We struggled to find much to compliment here and in my wife's words we felt the hotel was 'playing at it'. The hotel felt like it's being run into the ground and I'd happily put money on it being closed down shortly, or I hope re-furbished!

Come on CP you can do better than this.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaLiverpool, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre. I am disappointed to hear of your experiences. Please accept my sincere apologies that on this occasion we did not provide you with the high quality standards of service you have come to expect from the Crowne Plaza. I have communicated your comments regarding the cleanliness of the rooms, its amenities and the club lounge facilities to the relevant departments for review and will be investigating these matters further, to establish how we can improve the service we provide to our executive guests. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by these oversights and will be endeavoring to ensure that these errors are not repeated in the future. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future, as we would love the opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to improving customer service.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Great location. lovely reception and bar area. nice staff. clean,modern,spacious,luxurious and nice view from room over the dock.
10minute walk to echo arena or short taxi ride into the centre.
Would stay again and like to experience using the spa facilities.
highly recommended. great value and good breakfast!!

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am delighted to hear that your stay at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre was a luxurious and enjoyable one. If you are interested in our spa facilities there are some spa packages available on our website which may appeal to you. We look forward to having you back in the near future. Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night to attend a meeting h next day. Room was comfy, bar nice and friendly and spacious with nice views over th docks. We used the pool and it had really god extras like the sauna and steam room which we made use of. Breakfast was ok with a wide range hot and cold choices. Centrally located within easy reach of the docks/echo arena and shops.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre. Your comments regarding the rooms, hotel facilities and our convenient location are all greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of our hotel with other travelers.

Lincolnshire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the last few months whilst on business in the city.

The rooms are OK and are typical Crowne Plaza although the ventilation is a bit temperamental to say the least. It's also noticeable that the the rooms are a bit on the small side and the standard rooms are missing essentials for a hotel of this grade such as an in room safe

Breakfast is billed as the best breakfast in town! Now I am afraid that this is simply not true as the best breakfast in town is to be had in the Liver Building next door but I digress.

Breakfast is your typical death by heat lamp with average ingredients sitting around buffet style. If this is not included in your room rate, it isn't worth paying extra for but it's OK.

The bar area is spacious and comfortable although service can be a bit slow even when it isn't busy. Best to just go to the bar yourself rather than wait to get served.

But there are 2 things that really annoy me about this hotel.

Firstly parking is chargeable which in itself is fine but it claims £10 per day for residents. What isn't made clear is that a day is from mid day to mid day. So if you arrive at 8pm in the evening and then don't leave the car park until 5pm the following day (less than 24 hours), there is an additional charge. Clearly a Liverpool day is shorter than the rest of the UK

Secondly is the surcharge for certain credit cards in particular American Express.

At no point when you book the hotel, be it via the Crowne Plaza website or by phone is there any indication that the hotel levies a surcharge for certain credit cards. It is only when you arrive at the front desk that there is a very small sign tucked away at one end stating that a £3 charge will be levied on American Express cards. Because this is not declared at the point of booking, this falls under the category of SCAM! I am told by the front desk staff that this is common with many hotels in Liverpool. Unfortunately it is not something I have ever come across at any other Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Intercontinental Hotel, Hilton or Marriott anywhere else in the world.

So an average hotel that is trying to eek out that little bit of extra cash out of it's guests which leaves a bitter taste ion the mouth the first time you get stung by this.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing your experiences with the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre. Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you by our hotel procedures. At the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre we are keen to provide our guests with good quality service and value; therefore I am disappointed to hear that you have not been satisfied with the service you have received. Please be assured that I have acknowledged your feedback regarding the breakfast, car parking facilities and American Express surcharges and communicated your opinions to the relevant teams within the hotel for review. Constructive feedback like this is greatly appreciated as it informs any future decisions we make when reflecting upon potential areas of development.

Once again, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this feedback and thank you for your continued loyalty to the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Merseyside
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was the 3rd NYE Ball we had attended with an overnight stay, and we had booked it after assurances that some issues/problems we experienced last year would be resolved. We were given an upgraded room with a river view and access to the Club Lounge, if we wanted it, which was very nice. All went well- check in very efficient and polite- and we looked forward to our evening. Unfortunately, things started to go wrong from when we were seated at out table. Unfortunately, we were seated right by the kitchen entrance. This was like sitting on a busy road- every time the staff went in or out of the kitchen ( which was obviously quite a lot ), there was a really strong draft which blew our candles all over the place, not to mention how cold it was. Also, several of the waiting staff knocked the back of my wife`s chair quite frequently, as they went backwards and forwards. The main thing that irritated us though was the difficulty in getting some tap water. We had put a note on our pre ordered drinks form requesting a jug of tap water as well as our wine but there was nothing on our table. When we mentioned this to a waiter, he said there were no jugs but he would bring us 2 glasses. We did eventually get the water -- after asking 8 times ! Last year, we had had difficulty in charging drinks to our room and we were assured that this would not happen again. In fact, on check in , we mentioned this and were told it was OK. This was shown to be arranged when we charged 2 drinks to out room in the afternoon with no problem. However, when ordering at the bar after the meal, I was told that I hadn`t had my card authorised by Reception. This only happened the first time but it is embarrassing. One of the things we like on New Years Day is the late breakfast and check out ( 12 oclock ). However, this year Reception telephoned our room to ask when we would be leaving as check out should have been 11 as usual. This was at 11 45am and Reception was packed with other guests checking out. If the check out was actually 11 am, did Reception ring every room of those checking out late ? I am sure they didn`t. Why have breakfast until 11 30 if you do not extend check out until 12 ? We have noticed that some other Crowne Plaza hotels have a normal check out of 12 ( though Liverpool is not one of them ) so why would they not make a special late check out on New Years Day ? Also, on checking the bill, our wine from dinner was showing on it even though we had paid for it in advance. The receptionist took it off without question- but without apology. This all said, we had a really nice night though nowhere near as good as the 2 previous years. The DJ this year was not any where near as good as the previous one, and the group, though pleasant, were not as `professional`. ( this is not just our opinion but that of a few people on the night ). Not sure at the moment if we will be booking this New Year at Crowne Plaza Liverpool.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your New Years Eve party. Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties you experienced during your stay. I am disappointed to hear that you had a few issues, though it is reassuring that despite these problems you still note that you had an enjoyable evening. At the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, we are eager to improve the service we deliver to our customers, so we are very grateful for constructive feedback like this, as it enables us to identify areas requiring improvement and make the appropriate amendments. Consequently I have discussed your comments with our Events, Reception and Food & Beverage departments, highlighting the areas requiring review and further training. We shall take these comments into consideration when planning future events. I sincerely hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel next New Years Eve.

Northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We were on a 2 night break with an organised group of friends and basically enjoyed our stay on a DBB basis. Checkin and friendliness of service were excellent. Rooms a reasonable size for a city, and very comfortable beds and towels.

No problems with housekeeping but disappointed that our room did not face the docks. I am a very light sleeper and thought that the traffic would keep me awake but luckily the roads were not too busy over the holiday period. We were surprised and disappointed by the number of noisy children in the hotel and at mealtimes in particular.

My two bugbears....parking expensive at £10 per night even after our discount, and not a good wifi service. There was supposed to get a free slow service for basic use, which should have sufficed, but after the first connection it did not work for the rest of the break. Both should be free for guests in a top class hotel.

Food was generally good although there were a few inconsistencies between the menu and what arrived on our second night..... mackerel fillets instead of pate, no crackling on the pork, and baked cod that was overpowered by unadvertised tomato sauce (drat, wrong option chosen!). Our meal on the first night was superb, and breakfast was good and topped up until fairly late.

Bar prices were not as high as we feared for beer, but the cheapest house wine was £19.50.

Basically a good stay and we would definitely go to this ideally placed hotel again. But the above factors stop it being a 5 from me.

Room Tip: Ask for a dock view room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
CrownePlazaLiverpool, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for providing us with feedback on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre. I am delighted to hear that despite experiencing a few problems during your stay, your overall impression of the hotel was a positive one and you would return to us in the future. I have passed your feedback regarding your evening meals to our food and beverage teams for review, to avoid any reoccurrence of the experiences you had on your second night dining with us and am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
On the 2nd January 2013, we introduced a new reservation system, so that guests can book a room with a guaranteed view of the docks. Therefore you can be assured that you will not be disturbed by traffic noise when staying with us in the future. Also, you mentioned that you were unable to connect to the WiFi in the bedrooms. Unfortunately we do not offer WiFi in the rooms at the moment, though it is available for free on the ground floor, which may explain the problems you experienced. However, in the bedrooms we offer free internet connection through an Ethernet cable, which is sufficient for browsing online. As you mentioned we also have an onsite car park which is convenient for our guests and although we do charge £10.00 a night it is competitively priced and cheaper than many of the hotels and car parks in the city centre. However, I have taken your feedback regarding the price onboard and it will contribute to any future decisions we make about our car parking facility.
Once again, thank you for your kind remarks on the rooms and staff service. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Nice clean,well decorated hotel.
We had a problem with a movie we ordered however reception were able to sort this to our satisfaction.
Enjoyed the swimming pool and the lovely warm jacuzzi. no extra charge,so take advantage! There are times when children are not allowed in.
Good view over the river

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay and it is reassuring that although you had a problem with the in-room movie, our staff were able to resolve the matter for you. I am glad to hear that you made good use of our Harbour Club leisure facilities which are complimentary for guests. We are very fortunate to be able to offer the pool, gym and jacuzzi to our guests as a great way to relax during their stay with us. Once again, thank you for recommending our services to other visitors, your comments are greatly appreciated.

Stephen Roberts

Been to Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre? Share your experiences!