“Great place to stay and explore Liverpool” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Liverpool

You added Novotel Liverpool to your Saves list
Novotel Liverpool
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40 Hanover St / Gradwell Street, Liverpool L1 4LN, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 40% OFF THIS WINTER
Ranked #27 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay and explore Liverpool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We have stayed at quite a few Novotel's and this has to be one of the best. The first thing is the location. It is in the heart of the city and although Liverpool is a quite compact city, it's location gives quick access to the docks area and the main shopping area. It is also very handy for a real tour of the city, as we discovered.
The rooms, we upgraded and stayed in an executive room, are standard Accor fare at novotel level. The addition for executive rooms appears to be coffee maker, towelling robes and slippers together with free bottled water. There was also an extra area with a table which was nice to sit and drink the very nice coffee. As we had a room on the top, 11th, floor we had excellent views of the city.
The staff were very friendly and extremely efficient. Given the hotels location we did not try either the restaurant or bar, but we did note that the bar had four beers from a small local micro brewery another nice touch.

Room Tip: Get a room as high up as possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Polish first
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have held an Accor loyalty card for over 15 years, and many the time I have wondered why. In too many Accor hotels, my loyalty didn’t seemed to be appreciated as evidenced by some of my more negative experiences previously published in TA.

However, a recent 2-night stay at this hotel has restored my faith in Accor’s Novotel brand – at least in Liverpool! Nowadays, the Novotels are usually beyond the reach of our pensions, but when we were alerted to an advanced booking special earlier this year, we booked two double rooms at a greatly reduced rate. Sadly, our plans ran into trouble when one of our party was diagnosed with cancer and unable to travel. Several emails later, the Novotel Liverpool management agreed to refund that person’s share of the booking – this is customer service at its best, and our thanks go to reservations manager, Nathalie, for her understanding and assistance.

When we arrived we were shown to our executive room on the second floor. Joy! A spacious room, with separate WC and en-suite, and – thank-you Novotel – a quiet, effective air-conditioner and even a room fridge, Hooray! But wait, there’s more! There was also a Nespresso coffee machine in our room so at last we could enjoy a decent coffee. (And no, I’m not joking, most coffee in the UK is universally horrible...)

We had pre-paid for our dinners in the restaurant, and our waitress (Magdelena) looked after us with that unique blend of efficiency and friendliness which is typical (so I’m told) of Liverpudlian hospitality. The dinner menu was more than extensive and I’m pleased to say the wine pricing was not totally over-the-top, otherwise we would have just been on the tap water. Both our meals were well-presented; my wife had the “Indian Tastes” which she said was superb; I had the steak which I thought I had ordered as medium-rare but which unfortunately, emerged as well-done. When I mentioned this to our waitress Magdelena she reported back to the chef who came immediately to our table. After a brief but cordial exchange it transpired that I had actually asked for “no-blood”, which in Australia means medium-rare. The Chef of course, unfamiliar to Aussie colloquialisms, took this instruction literally. Anyway, I was offered a complimentary drink which I was pleased to accept. Next night I managed to place my order correctly!

Similarly, we had pre-paid for our breakfasts, and on both mornings we found the range of cold buffet choices was more than ample. There was also a good range of hot foods, and thanks to a special heat-lamp arrangement, they were really hot. And, if you wanted any variations such as poached eggs, the chef was pleased to comply.

All-in-all, the facilities on offer (and we didn’t try the pool nor the gym) combined with the helpfulness of the staff, made our stay one of our best on this trip to the UK. The only minor grouch was that the internet speed was a bit slow, but otherwise, well done Liverpool Novotel.
I have decided to keep my loyalty card!
I hope that one day we can return - but sadly, I fear our ages are against us.

Room Tip: If you like good coffee, book an executive room!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
NovotelLiverpoolGM, General Manager at Novotel Liverpool, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear oncebittenmelbourne,
Thank you for such an extensive review. I am very pleased to hear of some of the positive interactions with our team and our response to your requests.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back next time you visit Liverpool.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

What a fantastic location for a hen party. The hotel staff were very firendly and helpful. Our rooms were excellent and clean. As we booked well in advanced, we found the standard really high for what we paid.
The hotel was in walking distance from Liverpool 1.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Ginge1972,
Glad to hear you enjoyed your weekend with your friends and found us well located for Liverpool 1.
We hope to welcome you back next time you visit Liverpool.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

My partner and i enjoyed one nights stay at this great hotel. The friendly welcome from the receptionist set us off on a good foot!

The room was lovely, we went for an executive. It was clean, spacious, quiet and comfy. Nice bed and lovely modern bathroom. Fab coffee facilities too!

The pool and gym area was clean and luckily wasn't busy so we enjoyed the steam room and pool on our own.

There was a good choice of local ales at the bar, which was nice to see.

Breakfast was very good. Friendly staff and a nice selection of things to eat!

The location is really great, close to anything you'd want.

Would highly recommend a stay here. Modern, professional and a high standard.

• Stayed August 2013
NovotelLiverpoolGM, General Manager at Novotel Liverpool, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Foodielouise123,
Thank you for your fantastic and detailed review. I am very pleased to hear you had such a good stay with us with your partner.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel on your next trip to Liverpool.
Roving Brit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed elsewhere but eat at the restaurant on Saturday evening. We were looking for somewhere quiet and with good food. This filled the bill in all respects. I started with the Indian selection which was very well presented and tasty but the chicken satay was rather tough. I commented on this at the time.
This was followed by a steak which was perfect!
We would recommend.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bryb_the_great,
Thank you for your review of our restaurant. Sorry to hear you disliked the chicken. I have passed these comments to our Head chef and also that you liked your steak.
We hope that you will look to also stay with us next time you visit Liverpool.
Matt Brett

Been to Novotel Liverpool? Share your experiences!