“A great place for good traditional food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Lincoln
“A great place for good traditional food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I visited the pub on a Mystery Bus Tour so didn't know where we were going until we drew up outside. There were over 30 of us but I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the drinks were served at the bar. We had three longs tables in the restaurant and it was our choice because of our time constraints, to pre - order just either Ham Salad or Cheese Salad.

I have to admit that I am not a great salad fan but the ham was very good - what I would call proper ham and the salad was just right. The restaurant provided bowls of lovely crisp chips for the non salad lovers amongst us. Again, we limited to ourselves to a choice of four simple desserts, ice cream, roulade, black forest gateau and a crumble, all of which were well received, followed by tea or coffee and a mini chocolate.

The service was prompt and good and unfailingly polite and helpful. If you like traditional 'English' home cooked food in pleasant surroundings either in a small group or a large party I would be very surpised if you don't enjoy either or indeed both as I now have.

On our way out, we went through the garden where there are around 5 tables on a paved area and also a similar number of wooden trestle tables on the large grassy area. I certainly admired and was envious of the lovely fuschia hanging baskets and trailing begonia tubs among others at the side.

In summary, a really lovely country pub/restaurant although only 5/6 miles out of Lincoln.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“supurb food and dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

this is my favourite place to eat in Lincolnshire, been her many times, always had a great meal and not expensive either. Excellent choice of menu, the staff are very friendly and the beer is good too, i strongly recommend this pub for a meal.

Visited May 2012
Lincoln
“A great restaurant for excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

I visited the restaurant on a mid December evening and it was absolutely packed. It has an excellent local reputation having won an award from a Lincolnshire magazine.

It has a nice lounge bar next to the restaurant where you can study the fixed menu whilst having a pre dinner drink - also there is an incredibly wide choice on the specials board. I am quite a fussy eater but would have been quite happy with 7/8 off the specials board but in the end opted for lemon sole whilst my friends respectively had salmon and swordfish.

If you like excellent home cooked, 'English' food from locally sourced produce then this is worth trying. This was our third visit and we have always had a very good meal served in an efficent and friendly manner. To back this up, we were slightly late in going to our table although we hadn't noticed but at the end of the evening the owner/chef came and apologised for this. This wasn't necessary but nevertheless it was a nice touch.

Can thoroughly recommend it.

• Visited December 2011