“Nice atmosphere great beer garden” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #132 of 811 restaurants in Leicester
Cuisines: Vegetarian, Pub, Sandwiches, cuisine.name.191
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Late Night
Description: Friends, Ben Hings and Pugsy Smith (otherwise known as Gareth by his mother) got let down at the last minute and failed to open a Bar in Goa. We were still passionate about opening a bar so after getting over this disappointment we went for something closer to home. Leicester – In 1997 it was a vibrant town where we both lived, but we thought we could create something that was ideal for us and our all our mates.We took the first pub we saw, which was really run down and on a deserted end of the high st.Although the Haunch of Vension was it’s traditional name, we felt it didn’t quite fit with our offer so after a few days in the records office (no internet then!) we found a pub called the orange tree that used to be just 100 yards away from our site. Both the name and the building worked perfectly as we filled it with vinyl, beers and friends, bright colours and old sofas.
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Nice atmosphere great beer garden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We don't get away from the kids often but I always find It to have a lovely atmosphere & great cocktails

Visited October 2013
Nikki M, Manager at Orange Tree, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
We're glad you like to visit us on your breaks from the kids! Thank you!

77% Recommend
Leicester UK
“Excellent Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Went for team meal - A lovely city centre pub with a varied menu. Order/pay at bar and food comes to your table.

Most of the team ordered the £5.99 meal deal (sandwich and a drink) whereas I went for the falefal burger/chips.

The food came out to our table after a short wait and they were all generous portions. Everyone liked their food. Mine came out on a board with relish (moreish), coleslaw (excellent) and hand-cut chips (divine but not enough of them!).

We were all 'stuffed' and so no desserts were possible!

Very nice experience - good food and service - Will return!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Never a disappointment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Orange Tree is relaxed, with a mixed crowd, nice drinks, nice food, good prices and art works all around - fantastic place to have in Leiceste

Visited September 2013
Nikki M, Manager at Orange Tree, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We're glad you like our food and cocktails as we pride ourselves on delivering good honest food. I'll let the chef know your thoughts on the vegetarian sausage sandwich (I'm sad it's gone to!)
Leicester England Uk
“Nice food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

I had a Sunday lunch meal at the Orange tree today with my partner, my son and daughter in law. It was the 2nd time I've eaten here. I had the vegetarian roast meal and it was very nice. The vegetables were served separate and were very hot on arrival. We thought the veg was lovely but could have done with an extra minute steaming as quite crunchy. I do like my veg crunchy but it was just a little to much. Nothing to complain about, and the service was great.
I had 2 lovely cocktails from the great drinks menu.
I love the bar and it's decor with the fabulous hanging art.

Visited September 2013
Nikki M, Manager at Orange Tree, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Hi there, thank you for visiting the Orange Tree. We're flattered by your comments and appreciate the pointers with the veg. I shall forward your comments about the veg to the chef so hopefully when you visit us next your roast is spot on!
“Pub Grub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Great food, generous portions, A nice variety, not just usual pub grub but at same time not trying to be to fancy. Great beer garden and nice mix of people. Can be a bit of a wait for food a busy times but bar staff very good at advising you on this.

On a personal note a real shame they removed vegetarian sausage sandwich it was amazing and I'm not even a veggie.

• Visited September 2013