“Warming atmosphere, great friendly staff but not briliant food.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Warming atmosphere, great friendly staff but not briliant food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I went for lunch here today and I was hoping to have a nice steak , kidney and ale pie but insted I received a load of gravy with steak and kidney in it with a disappointing square of pastry floating on top. However the staff were really friendly and the service was very good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Great mid week carvery, limited for vegetarians”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Very good value, lovely location. Smashing mid week carvery. No good for vegetarians, also with small children only getting meal for £1 less than adults, they need to do some thinking there.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leicester, United Kingdom
“What a shame it's so popular!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Our visit was for Sunday lunch, a birthday treat for Mother-in-law and her friend. We had quite a mixed experience partly due to the place being over-busy. Friendly staff seated us and took a drinks order then forgot about us! After 20 minutes my husband went to find out why it was taking so long. We'd been patient up until then as we could see they were rushed off their feet.
Sincere apologies and speedy service followed, the food was excellent and pentiful.
Unfortunately some of the other diners close by were very rowdy, they had a large family of children that kept flitting about up and down the restaurant. This spoilt the atmosphere for our experience, but obviously it wasn't the fault of the management! Really the food was the only good part!

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Best carvery by far.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I was taken out for lunch by the in-laws a few weeks back for a sunday lunch. From the moment I walking in the staff were being polite and saying help. All the staff were lovely. The feeling about the place was warm and friendly. Once we had sat down and went up for our food you could smell all the fresh meat that had been cooked. All the veg was fresh and they are always bring out fresh food all the time. I had the beef and gammon for my meats. Both very tender and beautiful cooked. But you have to try the cauliflower in cheese sauce. It's out this world it so creamy and beautiful it just melts in your mouth. I will defo be returning here and taking my side of the family because i loved every min of the meal and my time in the restaurant.

You wont believe how beautiful the food is untilll you have been its out this world

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal to celebrate our anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

I have been to the Shires for a carvery before and unlike some other reviewers I felt that the carvery food was well cooked, tasty and for the size of the portion was value for money. I was considering where to go for our wedding anniversary and wanted to try The Shires again. The a la carte menu is not cheap, average £15 for main course, but I believe you get what you pay for and we were not disappointed. The food was all freshly cooked. which accounted for the wait we had for our main course, but when it came it was well worth the wait. We had beef medallions in a port and Stilton sauce and lamb rump in a mushroom and Madeira sauce, served with dauphinoise potatoes, boiled new potatoes, a medley of vegetables which weren't soggy or overdone and a bowl of chips as well. The food was excellent , the service was friendly and the staff were accommodating. My partner wanted a cheeseboard, which wasn't on the dessert menu, but they created one using 4 different cheeses, apple, grapes, butter and cheese biscuits and for what we considered to be a reasonable cost, given the variety and amount of cheese. Well done and will definitely be going back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere