“Optimistic web site” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mill on the Soar

Mill on the Soar
You added Mill on the Soar to your Saves list
Mill on the Soar
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Coventry Road | Broughton Astley, Leicester LE9 6QA, England   |
Ranked #33 of 42 Hotels in Leicester
Essex
“Optimistic web site”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

From the web site it looks like a nice country hotel with extensive pleasant grounds.

In fact it's a pub and fast food resturant with 20+ rooms to let. (not in the same building. and a lot of unkempt grounds. No separate lounge to sit other thar in the bar.

Breakfast was good, once we got some spoons and some clean knives and forks, but that's about all you can say.

• Tips/Secrets — don't bother
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2005

This is not one of your major hotels such as the Hinckley Island so you can not start to compare the two!
I stayed at the Mill on the weekend and I found it quite nice. The food has gone up in my opinion and the staff are like any other minor hotel. Everyone is human and some have off days, if unlike me you recieved bad C/S you should tell the manager not come onto the web site and moan! Sort it out there and then.

Overall the hotel was fine and the food was nice. The fishing lake and surrounding fields are nice to walk around.

• Stayed March 2005
staffordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2005

I have just had 2 nights here from the 26th feb...i was a little worried about the reviews on here, i had a friend who lives not far from there so i asked him to check it out, he found the staff very helpful and they showed him the room which i had booked. He told me that the staff were very helpful.
We checked in just after 3pm the room was warm, very thing was in place,plenty of bottled water and tea/coffee. The bathroom was very clean even the plastic cups by the washand basin was wraped in film. The towel were very white and soft and the bedding was very clean, carpet well hovered.
The Breakfast was very filling, plenty to choose from and the evening meal was basic menu, which was very enjoyable and severed by freindly staff.
The grounds very clean, and the childrens play area was kept well
Thanks to the new owners for putting it back on the right track.
anyone can email me on mscowbag@yahoo.co.uk to ask more questions.
joy and ian

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2005

Poor restaurant, poor staff, very poor service/help from the management.

I stayed here for the weekend, Friday - Sunday. On Friday night I ate at the restaurant attached to the guest house which was very poor - a tiny selection, with almost no vegetarian choices.

On Saturday, we decided to go out and about. When we asked at reception what there was to do or see, the manager's response was 'I don't know, I am not from around here'. After further requests, someone local was brought out to help, although they were not very helpful. In the evening, we wanted to visit a Chinese restaurant for dinner. When we asked at reception, we were met with the same 'I don't know'. When we asked if someone local could help us, the reply was 'we don't advertise other restaurants'. When I pointed out that as part of the hotel service they should help us, as the restaurant was not suitable for us, we were left waiting for 15minutes, only to have a girl come and tell us the nearest Italian (although we asked for Chinese), was in Leicester. Eventually she directed us to a Chinese a short drive away. When we got there it was a take-away restaurant. When I asked them for help, they directed us to a Chinese restaurant very near to the Mill on the Soar. On the same road in fact.

On Sunday, obviously not learning my lesson, I went to ask if there was a nice village to walk around nearby. The response? You've guessed it; 'I don't know, I'm not from round here'. A different person. It must be part of the training!

All in all not very helpful. Although the room was fine!

• Stayed January 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2005

Had a few too many to drink, stayed late - a realy good night out with friends. I asked a bartender if there were rooms and they directed me to Hotel Reception who sold me one at discounted rate as it was late and they were about to close, the room was only £35 ish to start with!

I am from Birmingham so I dont know the history, but aparently it has been well and trully out of its 'apparent' bad patch for some months. As I undestand from my friends who are local and took me there, there was a foul Manageress who may have been responsible for this, I understand that she has been replaced by someone else. This may be linked to the 'bad patch'.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2004

I stayed there, not by choice, but had nowhere else. But.....I think that a big brewer had just bought the place in June 04 and a new manager seems to have it sorted. Yep, the bathroom is 70's green, but I found it cheap and cheerful - I have stayed since. The Food is realy good now too. Hope this is of use if you're in the area.

If you need any info, email me!

Hamilton, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2004

Stayed here in May 2004 for one night on a journey up the country and we had a really rough time. We'd seen the hotel's website boasting a fishing lake, a seating area outside with a stream running through, excellent food and visible original mill wheel - all sounded lovely. But in reality: the restaurant was extremely smoky, the "pie specialities" made me violently sick for the following 18 hours and the room we were in had large patches of mould and hanging spider webs in the 1970s green bathroom. The bed had no oversheet just a sticky feeling duvet cover, the carpet was very worn and dirty, the tv was only 14" and the remote control was stuck together with sellotape. Don't let your worst enemy stay in this place.

Been to Mill on the Soar? Share your experiences!