“Big portions” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Leicester
“Big portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I came here with two of my work colleagues and it did not disappoint. The bar maid was lovely and very helpful. The wait on food was about half an hour but it was well worth waiting for. The portions were large (especially the pork ribs) and everything was freshly cooked and what you would expect from a decent village pub. I would definately come here again when I am in need of a big hearty meal. Oh and did I mention the nice homely burning fire and free wi fi? :)

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Leicester, UK
“Never Again!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

We used to go to the Bulls Head in Ratby around 10 years ago, for birthdays and such like. We thought we'd go back this January, so called to book for a table of 12 for Sunday lunch. And that's when it all started. I was asked on the phone if my order could be taken there as it "makes it easier for them". I've never been asked this on the phone, and wasn't prepared to call the other 11 people to ask what they wanted!

So we turned up on the Sunday to a newly refurbished Everards pub and restaurant. It was nice and modern.

So for Sunday lunch, the only meats on the menu is Chicken and Beef. It was a good job the majority of us wanted beef anyway. Despite the restaurant being clearly a separate part of the building, we all then had to go and order our meals at the bar!! It would have been much easier for someone to come and take our order, and give us a bill at the end to pay. So at 2pm on a normal Sunday lunchtime, I asked for four beef roasts only to be told they had ran out of Beef and only chicken was available. No beef at 2pm?! Four chicken roasts it was, and after the bar tender disappeared to the kitchen, a request for Yorkshire puddings was made to feel like a difficult request.

Everytime we wanted another drink it was of course, another trip to the bar. Service was just awful.

After a 45 minute wait the food trickled in, with some of us half way through meals before the last arrived. When the chicken arrived, we were all disappointed. What was thought to be a child's portion was given to the 5 year old amongst us, only to be taken back when an even smaller chicken (the real child's portion) was served to us. The chicken was horrendous!! Watery and flavourless. If this was going to be eaten, we'd need some sauces. So we asked for some horseradish (which would have gone nicely with the beef we should of been eating) only to be told they had ran out and they would have to go to the shop for some. It was quite frankly becoming a bit a joke. Although they did go and fetch some, our food was getting colder by the minute.

By the end of this nightmare I told the waiter the food was substandard and requested a refund. The waiter apologised, took the food back to the kitchen, where for the next five minutes I could see through the serving hatch several 'cooks' deliberating over what to do. The waiter returned and told me the chef apologies and asked if we wanted anything else. I would have been suprised if they had anything else left, and instead asked for our money back.

Having looked at the tables around us, most other people had over half of their plates left of uneaten food. I dont usually complain when I dont enjoy my meal or the service isn't up to standard, but i just couldn't quite believe how many failures seemed to have ruined a birthday meal. In all, the service was awful, the young bar lady was rude, and the food was horrendous. It's such a shame that the management have let an Everards pub end up in this shameful situation, and I defiantely will not be returning.