“Be wary of the weekends” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel

You added Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   73 Granby St, Leicester LE1 6ES, England (Formerly Mercure Leicester City Hotel)   |
Ranked #22 of 42 Hotels in Leicester
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
“Be wary of the weekends”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed at the Mercure a weekend in September. The hotel is being redecorated and our room had just been finished. The beds were excellent but there where no bedside tables, thinking perhaps they had forgotten them I was informed that no, guests liked it that way.
You must be very careful not to stay in rooms overlooking the front of the hotel at least on the weekends, the noise was non stop all night.
Apart from the beds the furniture was extremely tired.
The breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your post.

We have secondary glazing fitted to all front facing rooms and when closed properly there is little or no noise leakage.

Most of our rooms have a bedside table and the ones that don't currently are awaiting delivery of new ones as part of the bedroom upgrade.

I was delighted to read that you found the beds and our breakfast to be excellent.

Once again thank you for your post and we hope to see you soon on your next visit to Leicester.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Spent two nights at the hotel. Checked in and was given a twin room....not what I booked. However, I went to reception and they immediately found a double room so I was booked in, moved and unpacked within 10 minutes...very impressive! Room was comfortable, spacious and clean. Only had one set of towels but a second was brought up within 5 minutes.. again very quick. Next morning, the breakfast room quiet and buffet, spartan! I asked why and was told as the hotel only had a few guests, all breakfasts would be cooked to order... which it was beautifully! Waiting staff were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. I asked for more fruit and yoghurt which came out immediately. Even the chef came out to apologise for the tardiness of no one noticing they had run out!....
Second day the hotel filled up but still the level of service was impressive. Breakfast was buffet service and all the food on offer was well cooked and the cold buffet was well stocked.
All in all, a very good experience. What impressed me most was when things weren't quite right, the staff sorted out the problem quickly and efficiently. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a great review.

It is always a pleasure to respond to such fantastic feedback. Nobodies perfect but we strive for perfection. We have instilled a believe in the team that any issue, deal with it as quickly and as professionally as possible. I was delighted to read that was the case during your stay.

Breakfast, we cook to order when there is less than 50 guests in house and that was the case Saturday morning however as you found out the complete opposite Sunday morning with 150 guests for breakfast.

Once again thank you for the kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed over for three nights and got a Privilege Room without paying extra. Large room and lots of extra's although I missed a real closet for my clothes and a personal safe.
The staff were helpful and friendly all the time. Breakfast and diner was good.

The outside of the building was being renovated. The location of the hotel is very good

I don't know why previous tripadvisor comments where so negative, but on my next trip to Leicester I will book this one with a Privilege room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thsnk you for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted you had a great stay.

I note your point regarding a traditional closet, we do have this in 5 of our 8 Privilege rooms and please do state on your return you would prefer this.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future where I am confident you will have another comfortable stay.
Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Mercure for one week.
The outside of the building is being renovated and both the Granby and Belvoir sides are covered with scaffolding.
However we enjoyed our week there.
The bedroom was comfortable.
The breakfast was good, served by the lovely Emma and Anna.
The staff overall were helpful.
Its a long time since Winston Churchill stayed in this hotel, and it must have been fabulous in 1909, but it still retains the traits of old decency.

Room Tip: I think the street rooms are not available because of the scaffolding outside.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a really nice review.

I was delighted by your headline "Splendid Victorian Hotel right in the middle of Leicester". We are currently investing a considerable amount on bringing the hotel back to its former glory. We have upgraded our bedrooms recently and we are now in the evaluation stages for our ground floor refurbishment with the theme running through the bedroom corridors. We have also taken the opportunity to rename the hotel incorporating its old name The Grand Hotel. So the new name will be Mercure Leicester, The Grand Hotel.

I was really pleased to read the comments regarding the team and particular the breakfast girls.

Yes, Winston Churchill did stay here in 1909 with his good lady.

I note your tip regarding the street facing rooms, they were fully booked hence why they were not available.

Once again thank you for your kind feedback and we hope to see you soon on your next visit to Leicester.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Based on previous tripadvisor comments I was really expecting the worst, but found this hotel to be very good. Maybe a little dated but the hotel has obvious signs of quality and great staff, and we had an excellent stay.
On arrival, we were well looked after by Annika on Reception, who changed our planned room, based on my disability.
Breakfast was great, even though there was a malfunctioning toaster.

Dear Haig

As stated in my previous reply on tripadvisor, you don't often hear from the thousands of extremely happy customers each year, so thank you for taking the time to post a really positive review.

I have past your comments on to Annika who will be put forward for employee of the month as you are the third person to mention her name in terms of great service.

The hotel is undergoing a considerable amount of investment and this will continue into 2014.

Delighted you also thought breakfast was great.

Once a thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a great review.

Been to Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!