“a nice stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   73 Granby St, Leicester LE1 6ES, England (Formerly Mercure Leicester City Hotel)   |
Ranked #22 of 41 hotels in Leicester
Leicester
“a nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and i stayed here on our wedding night, as we had a meal there (after our wedding ceremony) in a private dining room; which was really lovely. Everyone enjoyed the meal and the service was excellent.
The bedroom was a superior room and it was nice and roomy, with a comfy bed and all the facilities you'd expect.
The only complaint we had was after going out for drinks, we arrived back at approx 12.10am and there was clearly a party going on in one of their function rooms - and it felt like we were right above it. I rang reception and was told there was a party with a disco, and they'd brought some large Indian drums with them. Then was told it would only last for another 50 minutes.. I was exhausted after the wedding, so was rather annoyed at the noise. I feel that the hotel should have mentioned this when we checked in.
The breakfast was nice; not a massive choice, but we enjoyed what we ate.

Room Tip: Just don't have a room above or close to the function room!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I was delighted you enjoyed your wedding with us and the service was excellent.

In relation to the other party that was taking place, we were not informed that they would be drumming at that time of the evening. My team did pull the plug on the event as we had no prior notice so we could not inform other guests.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review.

271 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

When you do see the picture of the hotel you do think, wow, impressive building and there should be a big square opposite of it to take the shot. If I would have visited street view, I would have seen that it is in a shopping street! Although the building is impressive, this picture toke some artwork to create.
The hotel itself is offering good parking places for a reasonable fee of £5/night and is, as mentioned in the middle of Leicester, convenient for shopping and going out for a beer or dinner. I had a so called "Sky Suite" in this hotel and it is on the top floor, but a suite is something else (in my opinion) These rooms are nice, silent, nice bathroom but not more or less. Offering free tea making facilities etc. just what you are familiar with when you know the Mercure Hotels.
I didn't enjoy the left over hair in the bathroom sink, but that can happen, although it is the 1st time I have experienced this in a hotel. Conclusion, a good business hotel in the middle of the city, you can got stuck in morning traffic if you need to visit companies which are outside the centre, but also this is common in Europe nowadays.
One very positive remark, I was welcomed by an exceptionable friendly young woman, great in her communication and I suppose she will have a great future in this Industry, one of a kind you do not find so frequently nowadays.

Room Tip: If you want it quite, take a "SKy Suite" on the 5th floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I was disappointed to read the comment regarding the bathroom sink as it normally doesn't happen here as my housekeeping team are pretty consistant at delivering excellent cleanliness.

On a real positive note I was delighted to read your conclusion and the feedback regarding one of my reception team.

Once again thank you for posting a detailed review.
Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I have just stayed here for one night having , and overall we were very impressed. The room was large, clean and pleasant, with all the facilities you would expect including tea and coffee making facilities, iron and ironing board, hairdryer and TV. The king-size bed was not only huge, but very comfortable, and the blackout curtains kept all the light out so we both enjoyed a very good night's sleep! The view from our room wasn't great, but that didn't matter to us. The location of the hotel is perfect, just minutes walk from the train station and right in the middle of Leicester. The staff were also friendly and professional.

The only thing that let it down was the bathroom... it was very small and cramped (especially in comparison to our room, which was so spacious) - but this wouldn't have mattered if everything had worked okay. As it was, there was definitely something wrong with the plumbing - the hot tap sputtered so badly that it was almost impossible to use it (both in the sink and the bath/shower) and the water from the 'cold' tap was, at best, lukewarm, which was a shame as it meant we couldn't really drink it. As we only stayed for one night, this wasn't a huge issue and more just an inconvenience, but if we'd been staying for longer it would've become very annoying. Not sure if this is a problem affecting the whole hotel our just our room, but hopefully it will be sorted out soon as it's the only thing stopping the hotel from being worthy of its 4 stars.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

In relation to the plumbing, this seems to have been an isolated incident as we had no other comments regarding the issue you encountered. I have instructed my Mainteneance team to do a check of every room today to ensure that your concerns are taken care of.

We have just invested some monies into some of our bedrooms and the room you discribe as large and spacious is one of the bedrooms that have had a new bed. I was delighted you found this very comfortable.

Our location as stated is perfect for a city break in Leicester, just being minutes from the train station, Curve Theatre and the shopping areas.

May I express my thanks for the feedback regarding the team as they are very friendly and professional.

Once again thank you for posting a positive review, the plumbing aside and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

stayed here recently for business. room was upgraded on check in to a lovely sky suite, which was clean, comfortable and spacious. bed was very comfy and non feather pillows were provided immediately on request.
great location in city centre and nice warm place to come back to and relax in room.
only downside was quality of food and service in the lounge bar. our group stayed two nights and had several issues with incorrect orders, food arriving up to 30 mins apart for group eating together and overcooked food, a burger which was so crispy it was inedible!
overall good hotel...just eat out!

• Stayed March 2013
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I was disappointed to read the comments regarding the food and service. As you can see from most other Tripadvisor comments, if there is one thing my team are good at is looking after customers. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies.

On a postive note I was glad to read your feedback regarding the bedroom. Most of our bedrooms are as you discribe.

I was also delighted to read that your request for non feather pillows were delivered immediately.

Once again thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review and stating overall we are a good hotel.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The walls in these rooms are wafer thin.
We could hear every single word clearly being spoken by our neighbours.
think the old architecture of the hotel although may preserve an element of history, still needs to understand privacy and comfort for guests stay.

Room Tip: ask for no guests on either side. the walls are way to thin
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was disappointed to read your stay was marred by fellow guests. I can assure that what you experienced is not the norm and had you informed my team they would have reacted to it straight away.

We have keep alot of the original Victorian features due to being Grade 11 listed.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Been to Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!