“Wedding 23rd December 2012” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel

You added Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   73 Granby St, Leicester LE1 6ES, England (Formerly Mercure Leicester City Hotel)   |
Ranked #22 of 42 Hotels in Leicester
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Wedding 23rd December 2012”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I held my wedding ceremony & reception at the Mercure Leicester City Hotel on the 23rd December 2012 & was the best & most perfect day of our lives. The reason that the day was so perfect was down to the commitment, help and support recieved from every member of staff at the hotel. There was nothing that they couldnt and wouldnt do to make the day as it was & made me feel like a princess. Not only is the service, the best I have ever recieved, the hotel (Kings Hall is absolutly stunning) I can not fault the hotel, location, staff and service at all & can not thank them enough for everything they do to make my wedding so special & perfect. I highly recommend the hotel to anyone looking to stay in leicester. All wedding guests also commented on how beautiful the hotel is and how amazing and tasty the food was.

Room Tip: As the hotel is in the city centre, I imagine it can be noisy but the elegance, features and service...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear SarahS, thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to post a review regarding your wedding held with us on the 23rd December.

I was delighted to read that your day was so special and I am glad that we played our part in making it so.

My team do work extremely hard to provide the high quality of food and service you received on the day to every single guest and often do not get recognised for it.

Thank you for the room tip also, however you will be delighted to know that every front facing bedroom has had secondary glazing fitted last week and therefore any previous noise issues that customers may have experienced will be dramatically reduced or eradicated.

Once again thank you for posting a very positive review and I wish you and Mr Smith a very happy and fruitful life together.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Placed in the centre of town with loads of parking spaces on site which is included in the price. Ideal for a night out or business as there is plenty of places to eat. Hotel is a three star plus with friendly staff some rooms are dated but not all and believe the price balances this out. The place is always warm and bright , have never eaten here only had breakfast but restaurant always busy . If your a family looking for an hotel it's ideal

• Stayed January 2013
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

It is always a pleasure to respond to such nice comments regarding the team and hotel.

We are centrally located with 120 car park spaces which is a great asset for a city centre hotel.

One again thank you for posting a review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Loving historic hotels I wanted to like this hotel. It's gorgeous on the outside and has some cool interior features like it's well preserved ballroom. But to say the public room furniture is tired is a complete understatement. The arms of every couch are grubby and strangely deflated. Which brings me to the beds....these mattresses were the worse... cheap, with noisy wires on the two different beds we slept on. Speaking of wires, the wireless in the lobby is completely unreliable. The staff are friendly and the hotel is historic but the bad beds and shabby furnishings really are problems.

• Stayed January 2013
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted you found my team to be friendly.

We have replaced most of our beds in the last year and you will be delighted to hear the rest are due to be done in the next few months.

The public areas are also highlighted for a revamp however the couches are clean and not grubby as stated.
The outside of the hotel is stunning, with all the victorian character still preserved.

Once again thank you for posting a review
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for two nights ,the reception staff were first rate and very helpfully .My room was very comfortable and quiet .I ate in the hotel bar area and the food was fine though it did take a long time from ordering to getting my food .Breakfast was excellent good choise and a pleasant waitres as well.Overall it's a good hotel in a very central location .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I was delighted to read you found our hotel to be excellent.

May I also thank you for the kind comments regarding the team as they all do at every ocassion try to provide excellent service to every guest.

Once again thank you for posting a review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The outside of the hotel and public rooms is mainly Victorian in style and we loved this. The receptionist was helpful and pleasant when we arrived and we were made to feel welcome. We had booked a sky room which is described as superior. It was a large room but we felt it was aimed at the business market as it was functional with modern styling but lack any original features which we found disappointing. That said it was very clean as was the bathroom, though the water pressure in the shower was lower than I would normally expect but still useable.

Most of the sky rooms are located on the 5th floor and the lift only goes to the 4th floor so may cause a problem for those who find stairs difficult - it wasn't a problem for us.

Breakfast in the hotel was pleasant with a reasonable selection from the buffet. It's cheaper if you pay in advance and this can be done the night before.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We are as stated in a good location right in the heart of Leicester City Centre.

Our lift does only go to the 4th floor however the same receptionists who gave you the very warm welcome would ask the question on arrival if you mind the few stairs or ask you would you like help with your luggage.

The rooms on the 5th floor are quite modern however that was purposely done with the business guest in mind. There is one room that has the original sink and tiles in the bathroom from 1898 which we have preserved very well. On your next visit please request 319.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My partner and I have stayed in this hotel on several occasions. Once again we really enjoyed our stay. Some people state that the building is old and dated, but I would completely disagree with this. In fact its up to date and vibrant. The staff and the management were particularly helpful and couldnt do enough to help out.

I would recommend this hotel 100%.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for posting a very postitive review.

I was delighted by your comments regarding the hotel and the team.

Guests are entitled to their opinion and as a regular customer I was glad to read that you find the hotel up to date and vibrant. As a Grade 11 listed building we have to be very sympathetic to the age and character of the hotel.

Once again thank you for posting a very postive review and we hope to see you soon on your next visit to Leicester.
Mansfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed overnight for a customers works party in Leicester. Hotel very nice and decor in keeping with style of building. Location to the city centre is perfect. Staff very pleasant and helpful. However I appreciate the need to hire out rooms for functions but more thought must be applied to your paying guests who most of would want to get some sleep not be kept awake by the booming bass coming from downstairs until 2am. Totally ruined my stay. For this reason I would not use this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

Our location is as stated superb, right in the heart of the city.

In relation to the bass from the function rooms, we are a very popular eventing hotel and particularly at this time of year. We do where possible allocate bed rooms to guest's who are not attending the party in rooms away from the function which finished at 1am. Had we known on arrival that you where not attending one of the events then my team would have quite gladly allocated you a bed room that would have experienced no noise.

On a positive note I was glad to read you found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful.

Once again thank you for posting a review.

Been to Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!