“Overpriced, slow service” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Overpriced, slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

We ate here in the summer and were disappointed with the service. It took us 15minutes to get seated, even though the restaurant wasn't full. We were given the menus then left to it, not even asked for a drink until they came to take the food order. We then waited a while for the main course to arrive (still no drinks). The waitress was asked twice, then the drinks turned up, but with the wrong order for my husband which had to be sent back. Although the food was nice (lamb pasta and calzone), not being given your drink until you've nearly finished your main is poor. The staff seemed to be running around not knowing who was responsible for what but kept apologising as they were short staffed. It really put me off eating here again.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

South West
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I was stuck in Leicetofttimes the night and fancied getting out of the hotel for something to eat as it was such a pleasant evening.
I remember seeing Median Park on my journey into Leicester, and as it was only 2 minutes from my hotel I decided to give it a go...the only good thing about the whole dining experience was that it was only 2 minutes from my hotel!
The house of rtaurants was that great at Median, but went for Bella Italia as I really like Italian food.
Ordering was quite difficult as nothing jumped out the menu as tasty and appealing, but to be far it was the usual Italian choices...unlike at the ever so tasty Jamie's Italian restaurant chain, where I have had nothing but fantastic food, and Jamie's menu offers nothing but exceptionally tasty food.
When I asked the waiter if the Italian sauce with the pasta dishes was made at the restaurant, she just laughed and said of course not it all comes in a container and the kitchen staff (I could not call them chef's) just heat it up.
So, I went for the £12.95 fish option, in hindsight probably a bad idea based on how far Leicester is from the sea! What a disappointment...tasteless, and it definitely did not arrive as it was described on the menu "on a bed a roasted vegetable", more like a few over cooked vegetables on the side of the plate.
I have quite a small appetite, but was left still feeling hungry after this meal, so (stupidly) I decided to go for a desert...mass produced, and I ended up leaving half of it. although this was slightly better than the main course.
I suppose you could say I am just a fussy diner, but this is not the case. This meal cost me more than at a more expensive chain (previously mentioned) or an idenpendant Italian restaurant. Maybe I would advise people to go if they got a 2-4-1 offer and were taking young kids, but I would NEVER go to any Bella Italia restaurant again.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't go here again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

Waited too long for a starter that was child's size and the presentation was shocking! Then comes the main! Well that again was a child size too. Just because I am having a lunch time meal I do not expect to have the smallest portions ever! Whilst we were here there was a group that got up and left as they hadn't even been served! We should have realised it wasn't going to be a good meal when we waited for a while to be seated and even then we had to seat ourselves! All in all this lunch was shocking! I don't rate bella Italia at all!!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“dissapointed.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I visited the new Bella Italia in Meridian Park at the start of the new year (only just signed up to tripadvisor) three days after visiting one in London and really enjoying it. We were seated immediately and the place was lively, however after being seated and ordering our drinks we waited 20 minutes for the drinks to arrive.

For starters my girlfriend ordered the Meatball as she had tried mine in London and liked the fresh beefy tasting meatball and homemade tasting sauce (polpette), however when our food arrived (30 minutes after we had ordered) it was processed pork meatballs, similar to the ones you get from Ikea, and the sauce was a completely different type, it seemed like tinned tomato soup and tasted like it also.

Once our mains arrived i was not impressed as i had ordered the pasta Pollo alla Crema which is from the oven baked selection, it hardly filled the pasta bowl it was in, was dry and had cheese put on top and grilled not baked as advertised. My girlfriend had a chicken dish with tomato sauce and cheese which was again supposed to be baked, it had been butterlied out and over grilled then had sauce and cheese added and grilled more, she also opted for the rosemary roasted vegetables so i was less than happy when it came with a few roasted onions and peppers and boiled frozen cut green beans.

I was going to ask to speak to the manager but it took half an hour for our bill to arrive so we decided to cut our losses and go home.

I am a chef myself and i understand the strain of busy restaurants and normally dont complain however on this occcassion i wrote an email to Bella Italia to inform them of our poor experience. I waited for three days for a frankly poor email back accepting responsibility after telling me there had been issues that night (none descript) which is why i have now decided to post here to warn others. I spent over £100.00 in two of their restaurants shortly after christmas but will not be spending another penny in any more.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
west midlands
“A quick food pit stop ...sadly that is all.Staff were good though!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We visited here on a Saturday, around 9.00ish in a rush for food having been turned away elsewhere due to a lack of tables, therefore, for a good review they really had only to feed us decent food. Manageress on entering was cheery and greated us immediately,told five minutes for a table, she talked to us whilst the table was prepared,nice touch, waitress was bubbly and bright,menus arrived, ordered drinks arrived, staff were attentive, not phased when i asked for a kids colouring pack for my mother in law who suffers from Dementia, can't really knock the staff effort,the bill arriving quicker would have helped but that's really being over zealous in my criticism, food was OK, it arrived quickly, more flavour is required in mine (pollo picante), everyone else enjoyed theirs, it was ok, we would visit again but it's nothing more than average, i think the food needs stronger flavours, Italian food normally doesn't lack that. 9.5 out of 10 for the staff, sadly 6 out of 10 for the food and i think that is generous, it is a nicely decorated place with good staff,maybe the kitchens letting you down.

• Visited June 2012