“Nice hotel, lovely staff, shame about the food” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale - From £59
Ranked #15 of 41 hotels in Leicester
London
“Nice hotel, lovely staff, shame about the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I was looked after well, my request for a sheet and blanket and foam pillows was acted on in advance, and the room was well appointed. The breakfast was good, nice to see poached eggs on a buffet, but the dinners were poor, especially the Indian buffet the second night, which offered quite the worst and most tasteless curry ever, at least they removed the charge from my bill. The first morning there was a lack of any really hot water in my bathroom, otherwise it was fine.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor after your recent stay. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I was however sorry to hear of your disappointing meal and lack of hot water on your departing day. Both of these comments have been shared with our team to investigate further and so that action can be taken to prevent further occurences. I hope this will not prevent you from staying with us again in the future.

549 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at the Hilton Leicester for four nights/five days earlier this month, and it was absolutely amazing! We booked via the Alton Towers website as part of the one-day pass inclusive with Alton Towers, and got the four nights/five days for a bargain 260 pound!

Once you've negotiated the spaghetti roads leading up to the Hilton and indeed, throughout the whole of Leicester, it truly is a spectacular hotel. Ive never stayed at a Hilton before so maybe I was just a little awe-inspired, but it is truly lovely. There is a secure car park which hotel guests obtain a keycard for, to come in and out of the barrier at will (no curfew), although a major flaw to this is that it's a hefty five pound per night for your car's parking space. Even with the Alton Towers deal, we thought this was steep! Once you enter the Hilton from the front entrance, it is absolutely beautiful. There is a large seating area, decorated in red and gold design, with the receiption to the direct left, and a computer area to the left behind you as you enter (they also charge you for the computer use, but not for the Wi-Fi connection for the nifty ones who remember their own technology). It was very busy when we arrived at 9pm, but nothing was too much trouble for the receptionist, who even offered a concierge to take my bags to our room for us, as she could see I was overladen, and my partner useless!

Now, due to us being on the Alton Towers deal, I didn't expect the greatest of rooms, but room 184 was to my surprise, lovely. It had a gorgeous double bed, which I had, as promised on the headboard sign, the best night's sleep of my life, and the bathroom facilities were wonderful. Also, just down the corridor was the Living Well gym and spa, which has a hot tub, heated swimming pool, and small but seemingly fully equipped gym - again, free for us hotel guests to use, and with complimentary fluffy white towels. The only downside to this was the view from our room, which was of seventeen (yes, I counted them) bins - of all kinds, general waste, food waste, and laundry bins. Every night at 11pm they are emptied by the room attendants, Id know, I had full view of this while lay on my bed.

During our stay, we ate the complimentary all-you-can-eat breakfast, aswell as ordered room service for the second evening. The breakfast is good, and there is a wide variety of continental and freshly cooked full English breakfasts. Also, you see the chefs coming out and topping up the food, in their clean white uniform, which is always reassuring. The room service is incredibly expensive - with a five pound 'tray' charge! We paid over fifty pound for two meals - a fillet steak and a tandoori curry, with no drinks - which I thought very steep, and then to pay for a tray aswell.

Overall however we had a wonderful stay, and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the East Midlands area, or who partakes in the Alton Towers deal! It is situated just off the motorway, so it makes for excellent travel connections - and aswell as of course the theme park, there is many local and county-wide attractions for the guest. We visited Leicester city centre and the Guildhall, including the exhibition of Richard the Third, aswell as outerlying towns such as Market Harborough and Melton Mowbray. The Space Station aswell in Leicester is definitely worth a day trip!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and had time to make full use of the hotels facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel for 2 nights with my partner. The rooms are lovely and we had clean towels and fresh bedding on the second day! The hotel itself has excellent facilities with the use of the swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room & gym all included in the price. The location of the hotel is good with a shopping park just over a mile away and also close by is an industrial estate which includes bowling, cinema and about a dozen restaurants. My only thing to mention bad would be that the room didn't have a fridge and also our package didn't include breakfast which we expected. Overall a fabulous place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor after your recent stay with us here at Hilton Leicester. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to make the most of the facilities we provide. Thank you again for your kind comments.
East Midlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were given a Hilton restaurant voucher as a Christmas gift and decided to use it at the Leicester Hilton, as this is the closest to where we live. We know the hotel as we have stayed there before and have previously used the hotel for business related activities. Well... We arrived at the hotel and the reception area was as usual smart, well organised and the staff were lovely and polite. We were shown to our table and we duly ordered our food. The first courses were just about ok. But it sadly went down hill from there! I would urge somebody senior within the Hilton chain to take a close look at the menu and the actual quality of the food. A dish that was advertised as Prawn risotto, was actually a pile of stodgy rice with what looked like microwaved prawns sat on top, this was served with half a plate of horrible supposed Ratatouille etc. The beef dish was strips of beef that in fairness was ok, but served on an enormous bed of rocket, wih raw onions and tomatoes! The sweets were Creme Brûlée which was truly awful and looked and tasted like vomit. The cheese and biscuits was ok( difficult to ruin that!) but the cheese, grapes etc was so cold you could hardly taste any flavour. All of this cost the princely sum of £50.00 We were really upset about the whole experience and had to lie to our daughter (who had bought us the voucher) that we had a lovely meal! It's a real shame because the staff were lovely and in fairness the food was served nicely and the service was good. We like the Hilton Group, so much so, we are booked in for b&b next Month in Liverpool, but thankfully we won't be eating dinner! Come on Hilton group, sort your food quality out.... You owe it to the staff who work for you!!!!!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. May I in the first instance extend our sincere apologies for your disappointing meal you had with us. Please be assured this is not our usual standard.
I have shared your feedback with our Head Chef for him to further investigate and to take the neccessay action to ensure there is no repetition.
May I thank you for bringing your feedback to our attention. I hope that you and your wife have an enjoyable stay at our hotel in Liverpool .
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here 2 years ago and just last week, April 2013. This last visit was during a busy week for the hotel.
Pros
Location
Fitness club
Reception and fitness staff
Cleanliness of room
Breakfasts were delicious, though sme of the cold sections change daily so daughters favourites were missing day 2
Cons
Lack of waiting staff a breakfast: In Hilton honours area the tables weren't cleared very quickly and one beside us was full of old plates for the whole time we ate there. The next day we ate in main dinng room and whilst here were more staff, they were very busy so again plates were often left.
Prior to check in I had requested allergy friendly pillows, reception confirmed this but they we not and we had to wait when son was very sleepy for them to be brought to us.
Room was cleaned well But required maintenance as the wall was scratched and needed a repaint plus the sofa had seen better days. One of the beds needs replacing.

We went on a stay play explore offer so good value but I spoke to a lady in the pool area and she was disgusted a the amount her husband had paid for such basic accommodation.

Would I return- maybe- I guess I'd ask for a refurbished room

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor after your recent stay. I have shared your comments with the relevant heads of department to reiew, and to ensure no future repetition. Please be assured this is not our usual standard. I hope these incidents will not deter you from staying with us again.
Faversham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have stayed here before and it is a good hotel with most of the staff being helpful and interested in whether you are having a good visit. My room was spacious and comfortable and the food was good. The breakfasts are particularly good and the irish chef who does the breakfasts is great. Have the birch muesli - never had this before and it tastes good.
The swimming pool and facilities are fine. The lift is irritating as it is at the back of the hotel and you seem to walk a long way to it.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: 229 had two double beds and a sofa so lots of room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor after your recent stay. It is great to hear that you enjoy your stays with us especially our Hilton Breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Excellent value for money for a family 2 night stay. Great facilities - pool with sauna, steam, jacuzzi and well equipped gym. We stayed in a clean spacious double double ensuite bedroom. We had breakfast included in the price and tickets to 3 local attractions. Lovely meal in the hotel with attentive staff. Overall a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor, after your recent stay with us here at Hilton Leicester. It is great to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and made full use of the hotels facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Been to Hilton Leicester? Share your experiences!