“Very kind and attentive staff” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #15 of 42 Hotels in Leicester
“Very kind and attentive staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I attended a course here at the weekend. I wish very much that I had booked to stay as well. I had a nightmarish experience at the Grafton House "Hotel" in Saxby Street and left at 6.30am on my last day, I was so desperate to get away from Grafton House. I arrived at Holiday Inn at 7am, two hours early for my course. I explained to reception staff what had happened and they welcomed me sympathetically. I had a safe, comfortable place to sit and wait for my course to begin. Staff even pointed out that I could go and have breakfast if I wanted to (although this would not have been free, of course) but all I wanted was a cup of tea when I got to the room where my course was being held.

Room Tip: I cannot rate everything as I didn't actually stay here, but one of my fellow students did and h...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I've stayed at a few holiday inn's before and generally find them ok, but wasn't as impressed with this one. First of all there is car parking but it is an NCP car park next to the hotel which cost £12. Check in was quick and easy, the rooms are clean and a good size but dated and could do with updating. No iron bad ironing board but asked for one at reception and they brought it straight up. WI FI will cost you £16 for 24 hours, don't understand why holiday inn charge you for wi if when other hotels don't, so what ever you pay for your room be aware with parking and wi if you could add another £28 to you bill. Used the gym which was not a bad size for a hotel, also have a swimming pool, hot tub and sauna as well which is a plus. Eat in the restaurant and the waitresses were very friendly and the food was ok as well (£23 for started, main and a soft drink). My real issue was the sleep quality, the Air Con in my room was very noisy, effective but very noises and the mattress was very hard. Breakfast was ok but the sausage and bacon tasted like cheap meat, once again the waitresses were really friendly. Check out was quick and easy. V

I would stay again because I thought the facilities were ok, but would maybe ask about the air con.

Room Tip: My room was 402.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leicester, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear Holmezzi,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the value of the hotel prevented you from having a fully enjoyable experience. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Bury St Edmunds, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Stayed here for multiple nights and enjoyed the comforts of the HI standards, but the hotel can do with a refit. Colours are dated and areas like the bar and leisure club are in clear need for a refurb. Staff very friendly and keen to engage, in pleasant contrast with some hotels in the chain which are very formal. The restaurant promotion in the lobby works well and the staff manning this front post do an excellent job as the hotel is within 100 mtr of a major new shopping centre with an extensive range of modern and classic restaurants and eating out is tempting. The hotel is in the middle of a busy roundabout and access during the busy rush hours is difficult, but parking is ample and adjacent to the hotel.

Room Tip: Fellow travellers suggest to avoid the 7th floor
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leicester, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Danny B,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff. We would like to apologize for the shortfalls you have experienced. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Thank you for staying and we all hope to serve you again on your next future visit.

Anthony M
Birmingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Stayed here in January for a 2 day conference meeting.

First the plus points:

The a la carte food at dinner time was tasty and service was good.
The rooms are clean and comfortable albeit basic (what you would expect from a brand hotel)
The lunch and supplies (coffee, tea, biscuits, water) for the conference were restocked frequently and were good
Staff were very friendly and helpful
Water pressure on the shower was good (this is always something that is hit and miss on larger hotels)

Now the negatives:
The "buffet" that they do on the theme night (our night was italian) just looked absolutely unappealing and though it had been left out for a while.....
The air con in both the bedroom and in the conference room were unbelievably noisy - we had to turn it off in the conference room and open the doors and windows, which isn't great in January....
Getting into the car park off the island is difficult in rush hour to say the least - could do with improving signage
A few areas in the hotel look a bit tired. The lobby and restaurant/bar are nice but some of the hallways/stairwell look a bit grubby

In summary, it's a nice hotel but could do with a few touches here and there just to bring it up to standard.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leicester, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Mike H,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. It is lovely to hear you liked your room accommodations and found the rooms clean and comfortable. However, we regret letting you down on some aspects of your stay. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note of your valuable comments regarding the air conditioning unit and we will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Canewdon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Booked 1 night for a business. a little on the expensive side but the company was paying.

room was very spacious, with 2 very lage beds in the twin room, i received a complentary mars bar and bottle of water.
the room was very clean, with plenty of towels in the bathroom with toiletries included.. Room had TV and kettle with plenty of tea and coffee.
Breakfast and dinner was very nice with a good choice.
Overall a very nice stay.

the staff were all very pleasant and couldn't do enough for you.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Northampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed here last weekend for a works nightout. Great location near the centre of town. Checked in at 3pm on a Friday, no waiting to check in, sorted out in a few minutes. Was a bit concerned to start with that my Executive Room was right outside the lifts. There was a bit of noise around midnight when the wedding guests turned in but overall it wasn't as bad as I thought. I use earplugs anyway! The bed was huge and very comfortable with a nice choice of pillows. The shower was excellent with fantastic water pressure. Overall very clean too.
Complimentary mineral water was nice as was the couple of chocolate bars too. Breakfast was pretty good quality for the self serve kind, all the hot food like eggs and sausages were nice and hot.

A very pleasant stay with good service. If I'm every in Leicester again for a night out then I'll be staying here again, but just asking for a room away from the lifts maybe.

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor with the aircon units outside, although this didn't disturb me it may do...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Booked one night so we could look round Leicester where I went to college. Had a nice meal and a few drinks in the restaurant on the Sat night. It was ok - we didnt want to bother going back out again.
Not a good night sleep wise. We were in 223 which overlooks a roof with air con gear which rumbled away all night.
Breakfast in the morning. OK plenty to be had and well cooked. Overall, would probably stay again but not on floor 2

Room Tip: Previous reviewer stayed on floor 7 which would be better
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Leicester? Share your experiences!