“i can understand the bad reviews but ..........................” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Tapas
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Leicester, United Kingdom
“i can understand the bad reviews but ..........................”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Taps is not the best at romantic evenings, Taps is not the best for a family meal. But get a group of friends your own larger tap on every table good selection of tapas and you have all the inredients for a great night. There are loads of alcoves so you dont affend anyone if you make to much noise. decor is fantastic and you will be talking about it for weeks.

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Leicester
“Would love to be more enthusiastic!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

We visited Taps for the first time on a Tuesday evening using a Groupon voucher for 2 to include 3 courses and a glass of wine each. We had previously used the restaurant when it was the upmarket Opera House so knew the setting is unusual (old cellars and a crypt like environment).The place was virtually empty,only 4 couples but it was a Tuesday and apparently busier at weekends.
The drinking possibiliteis are numerous,adventurous and imaginative especially if you like unusual beers.The tables also allow you your own beer taps and have a guage to tot up at the end of the night how much has been consumed.
The waiter/bartender was lovely and very helpful. i have to avoid salt due to Menieres Disease and asked for no extra salt to be added to my meal.As the dishes were pre seasoned ,which i usually have to put with, the chef made my main course up from scratch instead which was kind and appreciated.
The menu is small,mains are pork,beef,chicken,salmon and 2 veggie choices.I would have liked a further fish choice as the salmon came with prawns which I'm not keen on.My partner enjoyed his steak.I had stuffed aubergine. This was tasty but a very small dish-an aubergine stuffed with 4 chickpeas,3 olives and 1 sundried tomato.It definately needed rice,potatoes,fries or pasta alongside even if you had to order that on top. There was also no bread offered on the table and therefore, my meal was finished very quickly and not substantial enough,although tasty as stated.
The starters and sweets were fine.
I would have liked to score Taps higher as the staff were so helpful,the drinks great and the setting is interesting but I felt the eating experience was limited and a few touches like being offered bread and water on the table would improved things and helped to fill me up!
I would imagine the beer taps would be fun in a larger group of friends

• Visited May 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Interesting venue, attentive service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

We dined courtesy of a groupon voucher. No restrictions, just pleasant and helpful service. We were offered Merlot or Chardonnay house wine. I can't stand Chardonnay (I think it's because I hear a thousand chavs screaming it out as a name to some snotty-nosed child). The waiter offered me another wine as an alternative, which was considerate of him. As it happened I opted for Merlot and it was delicious. And so was the food. Lots of it, all beautifully presented, all tasty, fresh and appetising.

The restaurant is in an old part of the city, away from the noise of passers-by. The building is quite fascinating and the decor is in keeping with the older style, whilst also being clean and fresh. Very well done.

I am severely sight impaired so need to sit somewhere well-lit and this was considered when we were taken to our table. Before my sight loss I was a restaurant critic so I can say with absolute truth - I definitely recommend this venue! I will return, even at the real price it's good value for money.

Visited April 2011
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Sounds Great, means well butgets it sowrong - a real shame!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

Thought this place was amazing when I first discovered it. Trendy decor, high end bar and interesting looking restaurant menu full of innovative dishes. Local ingredients, organics, etc etc - you get the idea. Friendly staff too.
BUT - have been there now three times and at best food and service is mediocre - at worst - awful!!! Wated ages when we went there with a group of friends and food was cold when it arrived,some of the order was forgotten and at quite high prices it was just dreadful value for meny. Another time they got the bill mixed up! I do think so much more could be3 done with this place with consistent effort from all the staff - some look like they'd rather be anywhere else than working at this place - though the manager is al;ways friendly and polite.
I would say its days are limited -don't be tempted - I gave it a fair shot and remain disappointed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere