“Don't be put off from the outside!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Bickley, United Kingdom
“Don't be put off from the outside!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Someone suggested that we pay this Portuguese tapas bar in Leicester a visit, and after my initial misgivings when first viewing it, I was delighted that we decided to stay.

The restaurant, which appears tiny from the outside, is located in the rather underwhelming Woodgate, in a short and rather shabby parade of shops. Parking could be difficult, although on closer inspection there is the car park for the local Aldi opposite.

The restaurant serves tapas and a variety of specials, all of which are extremely well priced.

We had 5 or 6 different dishes (spanish omelette, sardines, grilled Portuguese sausages, meatballs and roasted aubergine) all of which were freshly made and bursting with flavour. The kitchen is visible from the eating area and seemed to be run exclusively by the wife of the proprietor. She cooked up a storm, and prepared what we thought was amongst the best Tapas we had eaten in the UK. My only regret was that we were not hungrier as I would loved to have sampled more, particularly the house specials which will have to wait until next time.

Lastly, the drinks are amazingly cheap, and the whole bill for 3 people, including 2 glasses of wine and a pint of Portuguese beer came to £45.

Do yourself a favour and pay this place a visit if you fancy an informal, great value and tasty meal. I will certainly be going back there soon!

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Nice little authentic portugease resturant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I liked this restaurant, it is small but it has a nice selection on the food and drinks menus. I was very impressed with my flaming sausage - and the Portuguese paella was good lots of flavour, good size. The house red wasn’t bad either. The service was not flashy but it was genuine, like the food.
It has a med feel to it, the cocktail bar was new but some other parts look old. And when we were there were a quite a few Portuguese people there which i take to be a good sign and it had a nice relaxed casual family feel to it which some people like. I wouldn’t say it was average (3 stars) but i wouldn’t say it was very good either (4 stars) I would say it was good overall, we had an enjoyable night and i would defiantly go back there for some genuine Portuguese food.

Visited April 2012