“Excellent Cocktail Class” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
“Excellent Cocktail Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend brought me a cocktail making lesson at maiyango for Valentines day. It was a complete surprise as he had booked it over the phone and paid the week before. We arranged it for a Sunday afternoon when we thought it would be quiet. Well when we arrived at Maiyango, there was just us and Paul out bartender for the afternoon!! He made the experience very personal and we had his full attention for 2 hours. We got to make 6 different cocktails, all our choosing with some direction and Paul's expert advise. We loved being able to go behind the bar and muddle, mix,shake and sieve our cocktails. The flavours and ingredients were really inventive and tasted great and looked professional. We got to make a pineapple mohjito and raspberry daiquiri off the menu and then some more inventive cocktails. We chose to make a violet margarita and an espresso martini. We then got to create our own cocktails and had the chance to experiment with our own flavour combinations and they turned out very well. I loved getting to drink really nice cocktails there what not diluted with lemonade! Paul is very passionate and expert in what he does and he made our afternoon so enjoyable. He answered lots of our questions and even sent us the recipes by email afterwards. I would recommend this cocktail class to anybody who is curious and wants to experience shaking cocktails like a pro. It was great value for money (£25) each I think and we would pay that for 3 cocktails normally anyway. Perfect as a gift and works with groups from 2 and up depending on the occasion. Maiyango is a real gem in leicester.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly suprised and will definatiley be going back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I had read a couple of bad reviews on here so was a touch apprehensive about Maiyango however me and my Dad had to attend a business event close to the restaurant so I duly booked us for dinner afterwards.

The décor has a decidedly Morocco feel and very ambient making this an ideal location for couples, especially with the option of a more private dining experience in one of their booths.

There was a short wait of 15 minutes before being seated but the bar and waiting area is quite large and comfortable so not a problem and allowed us to get a pre-meal drink.

After being seated we were presented with a choice of bread (always nice to get a choice!) to go with our green olive oil (neat touch of humour). We were also presented a pre-starter of winters soup served in a espresso mug which was not only really tasty but a great little freebie to get us on side.

*I won't go into detail about our course choices as the menu changes seasonally*

The first course was really nice with well chosen seasonal ingredients, cooked to perfection and presented in a very modern/contemporary way. There was also a degree of molecular gastronomy which goes towards to feeling of excellent value for money. I went for the ham hock, Guinea fowl and mango terrine which was a dish that really worked well in my opinion. Dad chose the wood pigeon which looked nice and which he described as being very tasty, if a little gamy for his personal preference.

Another small surprise was the lime and basil (I think) plate cleanser. As before, cheap for the chef to produce and easy to store and serve but a really nice touch! It's these little freebies which customers remember so well done to the management again on this one.

For the mains I opted to push the boat out for the beef dish - this really was absolutely worth every penny of the £5 supplement. The fillet steak was cooked as requested with some light charring to add flavour and texture. The slow roasted blade was so incredibly tender; it just fell apart as soon as you touched it. The mustard mash and mushroom jus provided contrast to cut through the flavours and helped to provide a feeling of content with every mouthful - an excellent plate of food. Father went for the sea-bass which (again) looked nice and the mouthful I tried tasted great... he was happy with it so can't complain.

The dessert was an easy choice... I like to try lots of different things and the "assiette" of desserts allows you to try a bit of everything. A option seemingly designed specifically for the smart guy planning a first date is the option for "two people" to share this - DO IT!
Each dessert is probably lovely in it's own right but they seem to merge together a bit when brought out and placed on to a single board; in the end it was a free-for-all of tastes and textures but you just go with it... perfect way to finish.

The food was fantastic, the service was almost just as good (our particular waitress knew very little about the food she was serving and made a couple of mistakes but the unexpected freebies helped to recover this) and the whole experience was excellent value for money and it's obvious to see why Maiyango is so popular with the locals - the competition should take notes.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have eaten here on many occasions and never been disappointed , on arrival there is an bar area which serves delicious unusual and reasonably priced cocktails, this gives you time to look through a good size menu, there is a really great taster menu which is the cheapest taster menu i have ever seen. its all beautifully prepared and cooked the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. they also have a great wine list. This is a special restaurant that deserves further recognition.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Love it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I love the booths and the sense of occassion eating at Maiyango's gives me. The food is always interesting and although it never looks like a great deal of food it is always satisfying.

Visited March 2012
leicester
“Definitely worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have been here twice. The first time was absolutely brilliant! We paid under £30 per person for three relatively large and extremely lovely courses plus fresh bread and dipping oil, a bonus mini soup and a lovely sorbet. Great value for money and I loved the little surprise treats in between the courses. But due to the small number of dishes available I felt I had to leave it a while before returning. The second time unfortunately, I found it hard to pick anything i particularly fancied and found my eventually chosen lamb was quite over cooked, but still very tasty. This is the only reason why I have given 4 and not 5 out of 5 stars. I am sure next time it will be as good as the first time i went.

Visited January 2013