“A BLACKPOOL GEM” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #396 of 897 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“A BLACKPOOL GEM”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Travelled by train to Blackpool from Essex with my Mum for her Birthday weekend. Am SO pleased we booked The Wallace Hotel. Were given a lovely warm welcome from owner John on arrival which was really nice, especially after such a long journey. Helped us with our cases & saw us settled into our room which was clean, comfortable & quiet. Lovely sun lounge downstairs overlooking promenade is the ideal place to watch the illuminated trams go by in warmth and comfort! ( Having said that , we were actually very lucky with the weather! ). Remembering I'd said it was my Mum's birthday, John surprised us with a pot of tea on the house which was a lovely gesture. It is little touches like this that make all the difference to a stay (...that and a really tasty Full English breakfast! Thanks again John! ) Overalll, The Wallace has a truly relaxed & friendly atmosphere, tastefully decorated and with the added bonus of being within a short walk ( or a couple of tram stops ) away from the main attractions... The Tower, Sealife, Tussauds etc. I would not hesitate to recommend The Wallace to anyone looking for a peaceful stay in the heart of Blackpool! Will definitely be looking to book again. Mum and I had a great weekend...and a BIG part of that was down to this GEM of a hotel! Thanks again John :o) ( Carol & Mum ! )

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
John T, Owner at Wallace Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for your kind review, it was a pleasure having you and your mum with us and what a fantastic lady your mum is !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Had a weekend away we the family an friends! Very child friendly as we had two toddlers and a 7 year old! For a man that runs a hotel by himself he deserves a medal! Breakfast was brill!
Have been staying in Blackpool for over 20 years and was a brill hotel will defo b coming back! Made to feel comfortable and was very happy with the overall experience! Well worth the price! Thanks again :)

• Stayed October 2012
John T, Owner at Wallace Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for your kind review , it's nice to know that some people appreciate what they get for the money they pay.....( unlike others who seem to think that they have paid to stay at the RITZ , and then do nothing but criticise )
devon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed at the hotel the past weekend for one night as we was passing through and was very disappointed indeed.
It was said the hotel had been newly refurbished but on my inspection i would say it had a slap dash job over the original decor which was years old to say the least, The room i stayed in the electrical wiring was beyond belief and i would say they are breaking the health and safety regulations instead of being properly wired they was using extension leads passing through walls to other extensions, as you will see by one of my pictures of the plugs and extensions it shows the plugs with a electrical safety test sticker on each plug but surely that does not cover the wiring system in my estimation?
It was obvious that the staff had not been cleaning the room right or not at all for that matter, there was a box with used tissues in it (disgusting) on the floor i pulled back the duvet cover and noticed a few bits on the sheet and a hair so obviously it had not been changed since the last occupiers of the room and the shower and sink needed unblocking, the breakfast was supposed to have been a full English one but certainly by far it was not and noticed many of the other guests did not stay too long in the breakfast room like myself.
The young lady who was serving the breakfast had a face like thunder and that was enough to turn one off ones breakfast

John T, Owner at Wallace Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Thank you for this kind review , it was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon .
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I can't thank the owner of the Wallace Hotel enough as 4 of us went to blackpool and booked online into The Turkish Palace and wot a mistake that was a dirty unkept unclean health hazard. We got arrived early afternoon and just put our cases in never looked at the room until we went back at 11 then wot a wake up call we had the place was falling apart. And I think the health inspector should be knocking on their door very soon, And thank god for the nice people in a hotel not far from there The Wallace Hotel took us in as we had 2 children and one of them my grand daughter needs to insulin 3times a day I was very worried for her safety as the tv was hanging off the wall and very dirty were we all had a great night sleep in clean beds and a very clean hotel and present and caring. People there hotel was a palace and the Turkish Palace was a Hell hole. Once again many thanks to the Wallace Hotel for a great stay.

Room Tip: Don't. Book the Turkish Palace,
Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
John T, Owner at Wallace Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for your kind review and glad we were able to help.
East Sussex, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife and I decided that we'd like to visit Blackpool this autumn to view its illuminations,and after having checked 'Trip Advisor' for suitable places to stay I decided to make an advance reservation last June for a double seafront room in the 'Wallace Hotel' due to its central sea front location and its previously good online reviews. Upon telephoning the establishment I was informed that their rate for a sea facing double room was £60 per night and that such a room was available on our required dates,and I was asked to pay a £20 deposit which was fair enough,although I was displeased to be surcharged 10% (£2) for paying by debit card, but I kept my views on this to myself and I paid up gracefully as I had my wife's well-being to consider,and I felt at that time that any room in Blackpool costing £60 per night was going to be of a good standard and comfortable.

Upon checking in at the 'Wallace Hotel' three months later in mid September and having paid the residue of our five night's B&B cost of £300 we were taken by the proprietor up to our room which was on the first floor,and only once we'd entered Room 5 were we advised that this was a small room,and without any prompting from ourselves we were offered the opportunity to change to a larger room if we so desired but without a sea view,which does seem to imply that the hotel management were aware of problems with this room. In the event we elected to keep to Room 5 as it would had defeated the whole object of our booking a seafront room in advance three months earlier which we did not wish to lose now that we'd arrived in Blackpool having travelled from East Sussex on that day.

Quite frankly,the only good things which I can say about the 'Wallace Hotel' are that our bed was comfortable,and the breakfasts were satisfactory.....however,our room was small and and it was really more suitable for use as a single room. The wash basin was located in the room itself which didn't help matters,and the ensuite comprised of an extremely compact shower unit adjacent to a small compartment containing the loo in which there was absolutely no room to manoeuvre oneself. The en-suite was fitted only with a flimsy plastic folding door which allowed little privacy,and making matters worse the 'Saniflow' toilet made an unbelievably loud noise when flushed and no extractor fan was fitted to remove odours.

Daily servicing/cleaning of our room was non-existant and was not carried out,and we had to ask each day for sachets of coffee,milk and sugar to replenish our room's supply together with a toilet roll on one occasion.
To add to our extreme discomfort the sea view from our room was spoilt as the water authority had been undertaking major drainage works for some time on the promenade directly opposite the 'Wallace Hotel' and our sea view consisted mainly of portacabins and working areas etc.,and each time that we ventured outside and on to the promenade there was a smell of raw sewerage in the air which whilst no doubt was outside the hotel's control was a most unpleasant experience for us to have to endure on the seafront of one of England's most popular seaside resorts.

We couldn't wait to go home at the end of the week,and interestingly for most of the week we were the only guests staying at the 'Wallace Hotel' ... ... ... I can well understand why!

Room Tip: All I can say is - Go elsewhere!. Our room was very poor and the seafront outside is a drainage wor...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
John T, Owner at Wallace Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for the review , and I'm sorry you found the room too small. I did tell you when you arrived that the room would only be entered and serviced by the room maid if you requested this service at breakfast, I also told you that towels, tea ,coffee etc would be replenished when you asked for it to be done.There is a card in your room explaining that you should put this card on the reception desk when your room required a full service , you didn't put the card in reception at any time. The reason that you were the only guests for the 5 days you were here is because we stopped taking bookings for this week two months ago when we found out about the building work which was taking place nearby during your stay. We would be happy to offer you a free 5 day break here at the hotel at a date that suits you.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

On arrival the man of hotel was outside having a cig and he came in to say we need cash as card machine was down so no wifi..... Next I asked are you kid friendly they said yes on phone NO WAY they are they have pool table but you need to be 12 years of age he complained about every child in hotel but didn't say anything about the shouting swearing from his friends at 3am in the morning..... Also they are not someone at the bar all day as we came back on the sun to have a refreshment before getting ready to go back out and closed... This hotel is getting run with just a man he needs to learn people skills and so needs a women's touch... There was a water flow dripping as we ate breakfast with towel on floor very unhygienic.. This hotel got took over a few months back so reviews must have ben the old people running it... as it is a shambles now don't go

Room Tip: Don't go very cold rooms no heating on it
John T, Owner at Wallace Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
So sorry that you weren't happy.yes the wifi failed and we had a leak in the dining room ceiling , both due to the horrendous weather and rainfall.
As for 'needing a woman's touch' I don't know if you noticed but it was 2 ladies who served your breakfast and the same 2 ladies who cleaned the hotel.
The only guest who complained about the Internet being down was a blonde lady ,who allowed her toddler child to run around the pool table until he was hit in the face with a pool cue and then asked for ice to put on the child's face.....this accident occurred despite the fact that I asked you ( her) several times not to allow her child to run around in the public bar.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

there is a 42'' plasma, tv's in all rooms,tea &coffee facilities in rooms,full size pool table and a well stocked bar.

Spotless, great location - The man who served us was very helpful and pleasant.

Rooms where nice and clean all cover matched.

The breakfast was lovely and staff very friendly.

Will definitely be back next time.

John T, Owner at Wallace Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for your review, it was a pleasure having you here and I look forward to seeing you again soon .
From John, Samantha & the team.

Been to Wallace Hotel? Share your experiences!