“Great Short Break” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bay Liberty's on the Square Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blackpool
Bay Liberty's on the Square Hotel
Ranked #42 of 74 Hotels in Blackpool
north yorkshire
“Great Short Break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I'm writing this on behalf of my Mum (73) & Dad (75) who I booked a mini break for as a treat. They really enjoyed their stay, food very good, service first class, all staff very friendly and great value for money. The room was spacious with nice sea view, the bathroom would be improved by addition of a shelf. The only other problem was the colour of the 'statue of liberty' in the lobby it could do with a realistic colour makeover.
Thanks to all for a great stay.

Room Tip: Room 107 was very spacious with a nice seaview
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
russell_bradshaw, Manager at Bay Liberty's on the Square Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
We are so glad your Mum and Dad enjoyed their stay with us in Blackpool and I will be sure to pass on their great comments to all my Team.
Hope to see them here again.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Tintagel, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I booked this through Shearings as a last minute break for an anniversary. In all fairness it was cheap for a four day break, but on reflection I can now understand why. I phoned ahead to request a 1st floor room as I am disabled. I was given a 2nd floor room which was near to the lift so that in itself was an okay alternative. It did have a sea view which I thought initially was a bonus. However it turned out to be a nightmare as the smokers congregated outside the front entrance area and the smoke traveled up to our window which was a nightmare. A nightmare made worse because our heating was intensely fierce and the radiator had no thermostat valve on it so it could not be turned off. The room was like a hothouse in the height of summer. The first night the heating did not go off which meant I was awake all night so hot and uncomfortable. I told the reception staff the following morning to be told there was nothing they could do apart from turn the radiator off completely which would have left the room cold as the weather was down in the 2 and 3 degrees. They said there was a fault with the timer and a plumber was called to ensure heating went off at night. Plumbers arrived which meant the room was then freezing for most of day 2 as they worked on it. No alternative form of heating was offered.. When fixed it again failed to turn off the 2nd night and on top of that the radiators had not been bled so there was air in the pipes which meant we had to endure the sound like someone kicking tin cans around all night. Departure day we awoke to have an early shower to find no hot water. This I was told was due to boiler not giving water till 7 or 8am. !!!!! This coupled with a shower screen that the rubber seal had worn away which meant the bathroom flooded everytime you showered which was not enjoyable. On to food why do chefs in hotels assume that the vegetarian option has to be something containing the night before's left over veggies. Vegetable curry, vegetable lasanga, a piece of puff pastry with left over lasanga on top with a piece of goats cheese the size of a 10p coin!!!! Please be more adventurous, Cheese omelette mushroom omelette, cheese on onion quiche with potatoes and veg or salad, vegetable spring rolls egg fried rice and noodles with a nice sauce maybe. pasta with tomato based sauce or a cheese sauce. The options for cheap options are endless and do not have to be obviously last nights leftovers. Cleaning well although not dirty cleaning was quick and not fussy. My husband purposely left a soap wrapper on the edge of the basin and it remained there for three days. The bathroom was dated and the flooring was coming away from the edge of the wall where dirt just had accumulated. The bed was as hard as rock pillows so thin we noticed there were three pillows in one pillowcase.
The waiting staff were typical of young people on minimum wage who did what they had to do in as quick a time possible and just wanted to get out of there. Some quite obviously did not want to be there and that I can understand.
All in all this just confirmed what people had told me about Shearings Holiday Hotels they are now OLD HAT and have lost what they used to have years ago, or should I say have not updated what they had years ago.
All in all a disappointing stay to an area I would not wish to revisit.

Room Tip: avoid room 201 unless they fix radiator thermostat and shower screen
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
russell_bradshaw, Manager at Bay Liberty's on the Square Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Firstly I would like to point out that you forgot to mention you were aware the only room we could offer you was on the 2nd floor as my reception team called your home to advise you this would be the case, secondly your room was nowhere near our smoking area so there is no possible way this could have affected you in any way. We had 120 other guests in the hotel and they all left happy and well fed, looking at our comment card scores we received a very high score on quality of food as we normally do. If you had any vegetarian dishes you would have preferred or any other requests had you mentioned it we would have tried our best to accommodate you. After speaking to my maintenance team and looking at their log, after you spoke to me at the reception desk I instructed them to turn down your radiator which was carried out.
Regards
Russell
Carlisle, Cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is the second one of these Bay Hotels Iv'e stayed at, its in a brilliant location, 4 min walk from North Pier, and good Bars and Restaraunts, Hotel is looking a little tired,could do with a bit of a Refurb, But this did not spoil our stay, Staff were Very Helpful, Room Had a sea View, and was warm and Comfy, with plenty hot water,and a Car Park at Rear too. Food was Great, Both Breakfast and Dinner,with friendly courteous waiyers, Had a lovely weekend, great Pubs and restaraunts a short walk away too. Be Back here For Sure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review yes you are correct we are in a brilliant location for access to all of Blackpool’s fantastic attractions. I will be sure to go through all your great comments with my team at our next trip advisor review meeting.
Hope to see you soon
Tamworth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Having stayed at other Bay hotels this was a nice surprise as it was a bit more modern than some of them. It was in a really good location with ample pay and display parking right outside as well as tram stops close by. The food service was the best I have ever had in any hotel I have stayed in. The waiter was the most efficient guy I have ever seen and had a fantastic memory, not needing to write anything down.

The food was of a good standard as always in Bay hotels and was always hot, breakfast was always nice with a good choice.

The bar and entertainment lounge was one of the best with good seating so you could see the entertainment properly and the bar staff were also very efficient.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend to others, our room was very comfortable and clean, what more can you ask for and when you think about the price including drinks then it is terrific value for money.

• Stayed March 2013
russell_bradshaw, Manager at Bay Liberty's on the Square Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Wow what a great review I will be sure to pass on all your great comments to the team especially your waiter, I will find out who it was and give him a well deserved pat on the back.
We hope to see you again soon
Russell And Team
Tamworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We had a great weekend staff were friendly service was great, as soon as you finished your course the next one was there. Entertainment was average on the first night, but there was a good singer on the second night. Floors creaking on the top floor. But the room service was great, the room clean, and comfortable. The lift is a bit old and the decor could do with some attention. Bar nice with hotel prices. The food was excellent . All in all we would all stay again and would recommend it. I am sure some investment in the decor and floor boards would make this a great hotel.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Brett N and thank you for your posting. With the five dotted rating you have given you must have enjoyed your stay with us in Blackpool. We go through each review as a team to see where we are doing well and where we can improve so all reviews are very valuable to us but I must admit when we get one like this we all have a spring in our step.

Barrow in Furness, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

my wife and i stayed at libertys it is very clean and tidy warm bedrooms friendly staff the meals were ok so was the breakfast no complaints /only one really a lot of people do not like horse radish sauce on there meals ie the roast dinner it is well situated for the centre 5 mins to the tower primark railway station bear in mind there is no where to park so you have pay 3 pounds a day on the car park adjacent the hotel not to bad now for the entertainment nothing on friday not even bingo/ quiz music saturday was ok nothing again on Sunday no bingo /quiz/music overall we would not hesitate to go back again

Room Tip: we slept in 205 it was clean and comfortable nice sized bathroom big bath shower as we were at the t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Eric s (we would not hesitate to go back is your closing line) so again I think we have a happy customer. I am a little unsure about the no entertainment comment for the Friday night? we have entertainment every night except for Sunday.

Rotherham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We went with Shearings coaches and it was brilliant from start to finish. The room was standard but spotlessly clean with all facilities needed. The room was lovely and warm, it was absolutely freezing out but once we were back at the hotel we were as warm as toast. The food was good, varied and plentiful. The waiting staff and bar staff couldn't have been more efficient and friendly. The entertainment was superb with special mention to Claire Louise who was very good and versatile. We would definitely go again. Thank you

Room Tip: The only gripe we had was the VERY VERY creaky floorboards on the third floor. The rooms 309 to 312...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Please post

Hi Jackie M and thank you for such a great review, great reviews like this one are music to our ears. I will pass on all the great comments to my team and we hope to see you again soon.

Russell and Team

Been to Bay Liberty's on the Square Hotel? Share your experiences!