“Treated with no respect!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Chaps

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chaps
You added Chaps to your Saves list
9-11 Cocker St, Blackpool FY1 1SF, England (Formerly Colins Hotel)   |
Ranked #82 of 910 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manchester
“Treated with no respect!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

Having looked forward to our weekend away we were utterly disapointed from the word go, firstly our friend that came with us has recently had a hip operation and there were absolutely no diasabled facilities and subsequently had to climb up 3 very steep flights of stairs, upon getting in the room there was a funny smell to the room and the toilet lacked cleanliness.

The final straw was dinner, we thought we'd sample the food you could buy in the hotel, however upon ordering the food at about 6.45 we did not receive it until gone 8 o clock with no explanation .

Well we were waiting for our food, the 'regulars' that came in after us had exactly what we ordered but they all got their food before ours came.

When we challenged the delay, we were accused of lieing and calling them un professional, offered no apology for the wait we had .. when the food FINALLY came out the chips were cold, the shepards pie was nothing short of discusting!!!

Upon the comments from the owners we left and had to come home so they completely ruined our weekend! Thanks alot Chaps hotel!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Winsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

I stayed at the chaps b&b its the best i have stayed in i have stopped in a few over the yrs but this 1 has got to be the best i stayed in the premier suit it was cosy very clean close to everything in blackpool round the corner from the gay scene the same to the beach it was great as i got off at blackpool train station 5mins walk i was there its so near everthing you want i was very pleased & happy will stay here again i no alot of peop[le say its a bit cruzy but i didnt find that a problem if your not a cruzy person then you dont see it you only see it if u look 4 it i thought this was a great b&b highly reccomended

Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

Great Hotel, my partner and I stayed for two nights just before Easter 2010.

We booked the Sinatra Suite and we were not disappointed, very tastefully decorated.

Lovely spacious room, very light and spotlessly clean (as was the rest of the Hotel)
The staff were very welcoming, nothing was too much trouble.

Great atmosphere, delicious Breakfast.

I have stayed in at least thirty B&B's in Blackpool and this one is without doubt the very best!

Highly recommended and we will certainly book again soon!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

The Chaps hotel is a gay men only hotel. I stayed there for two nights with my partner, in the hotels best room; the Sinatra Suite. The room was clean and spacious, with a comfortable double bed; however I felt that the duvet was a little on the thick side making it quite hot to sleep under. The room also had a mini desktop fridge, which you could fit maybe two wine bottles in. This was a nice change as many hotels dont offer this, however, my advice to the hotel would be to ditch the mini fridge in favour of a larger one say a 3ft by 3ft one, as I have read that mini desktop fridges actually use more electricity than larger fridges, so its false economy really! There is also a small flatscreen so you can keep up to date with all your flicks (not sure if there are tv's in the standard rooms though).

The bathroom was clean, however I was not impressed with the shower; for starters the cubicle is very, very small and claustrophobic (even for me a guy who is very slim) so if you are quite large, you might have difficulties fitting and manoeuvring yourself in the cubicle! Secondly, it was impossible to use the shower properly. Upon turning the shower on, the water would go from freezing ice water cold to boiling hot, melt your skin off temperature! You couldn't stand under it, it was painful! My partner informed the staff of this and they said they would check it out later. Whether they did or not I do know, nothing was mentioned to us afterwards.

The hotel only has two car parking spaces on the front, so if you want one make sure you check in early! I think there is pay and display nearby, however this can work out expensive if your staying for longer than a day.

The breakfast was okay, same as what you would get in most Blackpool hotels I guess, the usual English fry up - beans, toast, one egg, one bacon rasher, one sausage and half a tomato. I left my sausage as I could tell that it was a frozen banger; I only eat fresh sausages with a high meat content, I saw a documentary once about what goes into bangers... it put me off for life lol. But anyway, there was a choice of tea and coffee, orange juice, and either cornflakes or wheetabix. Breakfast was served from 9.00 - 10.00, its worth getting down there early as it gets very busy (well it was when I stayed) when I got down there there were no tables left so I had to share my table with another guest who spent the whole of breakfast telling me all about his various sexual conquests during his week stay (it was a bit too early for that kind of talk I thought, especially with a random stranger!). You do have the option of having your breakfast bought to your room, at a charge of £5 per person per breakfast, which is a bit steep in my opinion.

The hotel has its own bar which opens on an evening, it was fairly quiet when we popped in for a quick drink before heading out onto the town. Apparently there is also a "chill out zone" room which shows adult gay flicks (we never checked it out, but it might be to some people's liking).

After we got back to the hotel from clubbing, the bar was shut so the hotel was pretty quiet apart from some guy who was wandering the stairs and asked me where the darkroom was. The same guy then five minutes later knocked on my door asking if he could come in for a threesome!! Much to my amusement, needless to say I sent him packing!!

All in all the Chaps hotel is okay, although some guys may find the atmosphere a bit cruisy. I dont think the premier room was worth what we payed for it to be honest, however the guy at the breakfast table I spoke with informed me that he was staying in a regular room for a week for something like £90, which I guess you cant moan at really!! Not all the rooms are ensuite however so you may have to share toilets/bathrooms. So if your after a cheap hotel thats five mins walk from the tower and gay scene, then this is the one for you!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

Stayed for two nights, hotel seamed very busy and popular with older gay men staying for the week. The hotel is close to the sea front and all the popular bars, Funny Girls, Clubs etc. We stayed in a suite at a cost of £60 per room B&B (Room cost) but you can stay in a standard room for as little as £95 for the week. The Breakfast was pretty much standard for Blackpool if your used to frozen sausages rather than fresh with a high meat content you will enjoy it. The room was very modern with wooden floors and furniture that matched! The bathroom was also modern with an excellent mirror but this was let down by a poor shower (Low pressure and small cubical) The other thing was the bed although new had a poor quality mattress. If your a single older gay man looking to meet a friendly crowd than we would recommend this hotel for you.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Chaps? Share your experiences!