“Blackpool trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Carousel Hotel, Blackpool

You added The Carousel Hotel, Blackpool to your Saves list
The Carousel Hotel, Blackpool
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   663 - 671 New South Promenade | South Shore, Blackpool FY4 1RN, England   |
Ranked #35 of 74 Hotels in Blackpool
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Blackpool trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Courteous and very friendly staff. At the time of our visit there was a convention on but we didn't feel in anyway inhibited by this, the family room was excellent and it has prompted us to get a bunk bed for the boys - then at least we can move all the lego upstairs!!

Dinner was of a good standard, we had steaks and my wife had the Indian curry (which she complained wasn't spicy enough ............ but she is Thai!).

Reception staff were very helpful in offering advice about travel to the tower and suggesting we leave the car on the road outside the hotel whilst we went to the Pleasure Beach.

The only reason I haven't chosen excellent is because the gents toilets attached to the restaurant were very smelly and my wine glass from the bar had lipstick on it!! (When the barman checked the other glasses, many of them were dirty - not a good sign).

All in all, I wouldn't be averse to going back but I might just enquire if there are larger events happening there.

Room Tip: If you have two young kids, book a bunkbed room!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
SleepwellManagement, Sleepwell Management Representative at The Carousel Hotel, Blackpool, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you particularly enjoyed your dinner; our chef takes pride in delivering delicious dishes to our guests! However, we are sorry that you were disappointed with the bar area; it is important to us that our guests enjoy all aspects of their stay and the issues that you refer to have been dealt with promptly. We hope to see you and your family again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed for just one night as we were going to a concert at the Opera House. We had booked a double and single. When we arrived the hotel had ensured that we were in rooms next door to each other and both had a sea view. The rooms were very clean, of a good size and modernly decorated. The bathrooms were a little small but adequate and also modern. The staff were all friendly and extremely helpful. They rang for a taxi for us which arrived within 5 minutes. Breakfast was good and the hot food was regularly topped up. Occasionally people had to wait for items but this meantthat food was not left hanging about. Definately a plus. The hotel is down past the pleasure beach and so transport is necessary to get into town. Bus and tram stops very near. We will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view. Well worth it.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We had a lovely stay in a family room from 7th to 9th April. Food and service was great. Entertainment in the bar would have been great but with 2 toddlers we had to head for the room about 8pm. Facilities were good with DVDs to borrow but a larger more modern tv would have been. Also I would have paid for the seaview on checkin if this had been up sold to me.

• Stayed April 2013
Rochdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed at the hotel over Easter for a short break. The hotel is really nice and warm and the staff are so friendly. Our room on the 3rd floor had such good views of the sea, and the sun setting was so beautiful. The room itself was of a good size and very clean.
The only thing that spoiled it was the dining experience. We had the lunch-time carvery and it really was awful. Cold food, uncooked veg and quite poor service.
Breakfast was absolute chaos. You had to queue half way around the room and then serve yourself.When we got to the self service food, it was hot and tasty, but took forever.
However, I wouldn,t let this put you off booking a stay here, as it just needs better organisation. Its in a great location and very close to the pleasure beach, away from the rowdy bars.

Room Tip: There are lifts, so getting to the top floor is not a problem. There is an entertainment programme f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SleepwellManagement, Sleepwell Management Representative at The Carousel Hotel, Blackpool, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for your review of our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly our friendly staff and excellent facilities. However, we are sorry that you did not enjoy the Sunday Carvery and breakfast. Our dining room staff work hard to ensure that your visit is as pleasant as possible, so we apologise if this was not the case during your time with us. Breakfasts at the hotel can be quite busy, particularly on Bank Holiday weekends, but we have noted your feedback and hope to see you again on your next visit to Blackpool.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed here on the night of the 4th April. The welcome was warm and nothing was too much trouble. When we arrived, our baby needed feeding and changing. We were shown to a nice room which becomes the bar of an evening. A porter bought us a high-chair and showed us where the changing facilities were. When we were done we checked in and went to our "Family" room. There is a small lift, but it was great and very nostalgic, with a gate that needs closing for the lift to move (wish some people would read the signs). Our room, was clean, large and comfortable. It had a TV and DVD (with access to free family DVDs via reception.), a safe and a hair dryer (which my wife thought was ok). Our baby had a great travel cot to sleep in (supplied by the hotel) and my 5 year old had bunk beds, which he thought was great!. Our bed was a double, quite hard, but ok and the pillows were, in my oppinion excellent, with good support.
Included in the price was an excellent breakfast, buffet style, hot and pleanty of it. Set us up for the day.
The tram stop is right over the road and gets you to all areas on the front. All in all we would have no problems in recommending The Carousel Hotel - Blackpool to anyone.....and in fact have already done so.

Room Tip: shut the lift door when you get out.....Please!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind review of The Carousel Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us; it is always appreciated to receive such positive feedback. We work hard to ensure that families are able to enjoy their time in Blackpool in comfortable surroundings, and a great location. We hope to see you again at the hotel soon.
Salford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We have just returned from a 1 night stay over. We had a very pleasant stay. We was in two twin rooms 303 & 306 which was very different in size and brightness, the en suit in 303 was very small compared to 306. They were both very spotless which I do appreciate in blackpool. We would stay again, but for our preference it was a little out of the way, a taxi was £8 to the centre. Was looking forward to The breakfast , unfortunately the bacon was over cooked like leather soles and the toast was only done on one side, Cuppa tea was stored in flask stewing! So decided on coffee. From the breakfast reviews I think we just had a bad day. We didn't have to report any problems so I find this hotel very pleasant.

• Stayed April 2013
Marske By The Sea
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We have just got back from a two night family break at this hotel, we booked it on reading the first few reviews which were good, but I wish now I had read more of them, as one of the problems we encountered is the same as those listed on reviews back to last year! I find it bizarre that six months on the same problem is still happening.
We were given family room 203, it was very small and when we made up the fold out bed it had about an inch gap at either side but we thought it would be ok for the amount of time you are in the room. We came back late after a day out and went to straight to bed, our double bed was terrible. The mattress was thin and the springs sticking through making it impossible to be comfortable. My Daughter was cold and we noticed the windows were all open, shortly after we closed them we had the most horrible sewerage smell in the room and getting stronger. I went down to reception at about 1.30pm, the night porter was on who asked me if I had come for a fag, I advised him I had come to ask to be moved as the mattress was terrible and the room stunk. He said they not had no other family rooms to give us and said he could give us two doubles and that my daughter could sleep on her own, which I would never had done, and that we could see the manager in the morning as she was there from 9am. I believe the smell was in the room before we even arrived, as after we had realised the windows had been open all day it seems a strange thing to do on a cold day, and that is why we hadn't noticed the smell initially. We went into the first room 202, this hadn't been cleaned from the last occupant, bed covers on the floor, towels everywhere etc, we coudn't sleep in that. So all 3 of us ended up sharing a double bed in room 203 as there was nowhere else, this was just a nightmare moving ourselves and daughter around from one room to the next at this time at night. We got up for breakfast, and went to have a shower first. We could not use the shower as the shower head was broken and the water squirted onto the ceiling, the bathroom was freezing as the heated towel rail didn't work as was snapped off the wall at the side. There was only two towels, one of which was raggy with holes in, the sink was full of tea and coffee stains from previous occupant, and if wanted a drink there was only one cup! We couldn't shower in first room as it stunk and couldnt use the second room as it was dirty with previous occupants mess.
Before breakfast, we went to reception to see the manager as we wanted to show her these things first hand, only to be told she wasn't there and we were asked what the problem was which we told them everything that had happended the night before, she advised they were going to sort us new a family room and on our return later the manager would be there for us to speak to. I add at this point there was already other complaints about mattresses from other guests.
On our return about 5.00 it was a different receptionist, we asked again for the manager as we had been advised and was told again she wasn't there but we had a new room and could have a complimentry meal in restauraunt, however, we already got a meal and show booked so couldn't do that and this was our last night. We were not offered anything else, we went through again what had happened and why wanted to see the manager and as we had already paid the bill in full we did not think it was worth the money given the problems we had, she advised she would email the manager.
We went to our fourth room 312, we were going straight back out for our meal and show but decided we would check things first so we didn't have problems again at bedtime. We could not believe that the mattress was even worse than in the first room! It was thin, with springs sticking out all over it, my Husband went down to reception again and said this was getting ridiculous and how could they move us to somewhere with the same problem? We were told we did have a sea view! What good is a seaview when you are paying bed and beakfast and have a bed you cannot sleep in for the second time!
Two men arrived with a new mattress (which was memory foam topped) and told us that all the mattresses were rubbish and were been replaced! Some had already been done when others complained. We asked them how you can book rooms out knowing the condition the beds are in?
On our way out we were told reception had emailed the manager with all our issues and why we had asked repeatedly to see her and that she had agreed to refund the first nights stay and that she was in on the morning of our departure and would see us then.
Once we had the mattress replaced, the room was good, nicely decorated and everything working.
Next morning, on check out, we asked to see the manager again which she did come this time. I have to say working in customer services myself, and my Husband been a manager I have never met anyone so rude to customers. She advised she did not know we had a problem with the mattresses or anything else, and only advised of the smell. I told her of all the people we had spoken to from the night porter to all the receptionists, but she would not take on board that repeat problems shouldnt happen, we advised that the fourth room we had been given should have been checked first as we were only there two days and had to waste time trying to get things sorted out and repeating ourselves over and over. If we had been given the opportunity to see her on the first occassion as we had been told we would and the other times after she would have seen first hand what the complaints were. Then to say she was not aware of problems with mattresses, when there was other guests saying the same and reviews on here going back to December last year, and the hotels own staff saying they are rubbish and yet they are still booking people in. I am very annoyed that if this the case then all the staff we have spoken to have not passed any of our complaints on to the manager but I find this hard to believe given that we have been moved rooms? I can ony assume that the people who have given good reviews have been lucky to get rooms that have the new mattresses in. Like anyone who gets our room now will get a good nights sleep. We were told we were offered a meal and a refund and what more did we want, to set the record straight we were NOT offered a refund we had to ask for this as we were not happy at having to pay full price after moving four times, the walk in rate on the wall at reception is £160 per night for a family room, you expect something pretty good for that. We were offered a meal which we couldnt have due to been booked in elsewhere At this point, having been told we were not getting anywhere and going round in circles, I left the room and advised the manager that if I had spoken to my customers in my job as she had spoken to us I would have been fired.
The hotel itself is clean and the breakfast was good, and I can ony rate on our experience and and from the guests we heard complaining when we were there. It' a shame for an overall nice hotel that the way it is managed spoils it, but booking people into rooms when they know there are problems with the mattresses going back six months or more is wrong, the hotel is fully aware as the hotel responds to most of the reviews on here. The rooms should not be let out until all of them have been replaced and are of the same standard. People are paying good money for bed and breakfast, so you should have a good comfortable bed to sleep in, and to make sure that rooms are suitable and have all things in working order for guests use before they arrive. The cleaners must see that showers and towel rails etc are broken, and the state the mattresses are in when they make them so why are they just left? If you are unlucky enough to have problems you certainly don't expect to encounter the same ones again when you move rooms!!!
We go away quite regularly to different places, and tend to go to back to places which are good, as well recommending to friends and family who go, but we have never encountered anything like this before and certainly won't be recommending to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of the hotel. As members of our management team spoke with you during your stay, we are naturally aware of the issues that you raise. We can only apologise again, this time via this format, for your dissatisfaction with your stay. We try hard to meet all of of our guest's expectations in terms of facilities, service and value for money, and from the majority of reviews on this platform it is fair to say that we generally manage and indeed exceed with this. On this particular occasion we did not, and for that we accept your criticism and constructive feedback. Upon investigation we are certain that the matters you refer to are isolated and indeed form a very unfortunate and unsual chain of events, and whilst we attempted to address these during your stay, we did not do so with any great success or ultimately to your satisfaction. We have since fully attended to the matters you have referred to. Thank you again for your feedback; we will always endeavour to follow up on any comments made by guests, whether positive or critical.

Been to The Carousel Hotel, Blackpool? Share your experiences!