“New Year Break December 2013” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Bedford Hotel

You added The Bedford Hotel to your Saves list
The Bedford Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   298 - 300 North Promenade, Blackpool FY1 2EY, England   |
Ranked #463 of 897 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Stevenston, United Kingdom
“New Year Break December 2013”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This holiday was a big disappointment.... Lovely friendly welcome when we arrived and complimentary drink....Good Points: Clean Beds....Most of staff friendly.... and fortunately in with a great crowd of people......Bad Points: Carpet in room should be put in a bin!... Curtains look like they have not been cleaned in a long while....Shower/Bath facilities dated.....We actually partially flooded their kitchen using the shower on the first morning!.....Food was okay, but certainly not warm enough.... Every meal was cold apart from Hogmanay dinner and New Year dinner.....Only because we specifically asked for a "Hot Meal"..The bar/lounge area is no where near big enough to accommodate all guests especially at New Year....The Piper at New Year was a joke.... Entertainment was average....When asking for a large glass of wine... served in a tall glass????? also....not chilled....leave a bottle of white wine on the bar area from the fridge earlier and use that..??? Bar staff not nice.... Would I stay here again???? DEFINITELY NOT.... Sorry......Not what we have been used to in Blackpool!

Room Tip: Don't get a room on ground floor.......right next to pool and far too warm at night....cold duri...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
BedfordBlackpool, Manager at The Bedford Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Firstly let me apologise that you did not enjoy your stay with us, if you had brought anything to mine or any member of staff’s attention we could and would have rectified your concerns immediately. We cannot do anything after you have departed the hotel, but let me now attempt to address your points raised. Thank you that you found my welcome lovely and friendly and that you enjoyed your complimentary welcome drink!!!!! You also did thank me for the complimentary afternoon tea and cakes on the first day and the complimentary tea and sandwiches on you departure day, whilst waiting for your coach, you did say to myself that you found these a lovely touch!!!! I am pleased you found our beds clean and most of the staff were friendly!!!! An yes we did have a great crowd in, to which everyone but yourself complimented myself on how wonderful the hotel and staff were, and that they will be back!!!! To which 19 rooms have already been sold for 2014 from 2013 staying guests!!!! The carpet in you room has now been replaced due to a very large iron mark being found in the room were someone has been ironing without using an ironing board!!!! As for the curtains these are taken down and washed regular, if you had brought this to my attention I would have changed immediately!!!! As for you flooding the kitchen on you first day, our bathrooms are not wet rooms and if you take a shower hose off the wall and place on the floor and then proceed to turn the water on and leave running, the water will go down under the flooring and go down into the next level!!!! The shower in the room is designed to be left above the bath so the water can drain down the plug hole, not over the bathroom floor!!!! As for our food, not once did you attempt to bring this to my attention, and when I cleared you main meal plates on the first night and I asked how was your food you did actual compliment the lamb as “BEATUIFUL AND THE SOUP LOVELY” and I did receive countless compliments off everyone else, who found our food lovely, fresh, HOT and the service was very quick and efficient!!!! Perhaps it was the salads at lunch you found cold!!!! But again if you had ever mentioned anything to a member of staff we would have changed your food immediately!!!! I am pleased however that your other 2 nights meals were nice and hot!!!! The Bar and lounge all thou snug certainly is large enough for the amount of people we had in and as some guest sat in the restaurant as they preferred to sit there as not as busy, we actual left tables for them to sit around in full view of the entertainment and bar!!!! As for your comments about the Piper I actual find these insulting and rude!!!! He is extremely hard working an visits countless hotels during the course of the evening!!!! He is Blackpool’s official town crier and has received endless awards and praise!!!! He does give a speech about Robert Burns, but if you could have played the pipes better I wish you would have said to show us all how it is done!!!! Again everyone else praised him and after his recovery from a serious illness myself and everyone else thought he was Brilliant!!!! As was the comments I received about the whole Entertainment Programme!!!! The Bar was extremely busy over the few days and the bar staff left the wine bottles in an ice bucket at the side of the bar, this was done to speed service up!!!! I have spoken to the barman and he did say you actually felt the bottle and that you agreed it was still chilled!!!! If this wasn’t to your satisfaction then he would have happily poured your wine from a bottle from the fridge!!!! Also we do not have the space behind the bar to stack double measures of wine glasses, normally a standard measure is efficient or the guest would simply have the bottle in and ice bucket!!!! Again if you had mention anything at the time of your stay!!!! The heating was on all day so I cannot believe you found the room cold!!!! Everyone else commented how lovely and warm the hotel was!!!! Again if you had mentioned anything I could and would have provided a fan heater in your room for you!!!! You requested a room on the ground floor due to walking difficulties and at check in I offered you a room with a Bath or Walk in Shower, you chose the Bath!!!! If you would have mentioned anything during check in or your stay I would have gladly offered and shown you a dew different rooms!!!! I would like to say that if you would like to return to the hotel, I will ensure your stay is to our highest of standards!!!! But as you will definitely not be returning I would like to apologise that you did not enjoy your stay and wished you gave us the opportunity to rectify your concerns during your stay!!!! Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Sandbach, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed one night, 19th Dec 2013 for pre Christmas 'Show' in town. Warm and friendly welcome, all Staff very pleasant and helpful. Seaview en-suite room, all spotlessly clean. Comfy bed, clean white linen/towels, desk, kettle, tea, coffee etc., small wall mounted TV, had everything we needed. Didn't have time to use indoor pool etc., but all looked in good order. Pleasant, comfortable seaview lounge. Bar and large dining room downstairs. Breakfast, very good, plenty of choice, something for everyone, cereals, fruit juices, fruit, yoghurts, traditional 'full monty'/'freshly cooked to order' breakfast, tea, coffee, toast (more if required!)
Not stayed before, will return.

Room Tip: Can't comment as didn't see inside other rooms! If you have specific requirements, I'm...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, we really do try our best and I am pleased you enjoyed your Breakfast. Hopefully next time you will be able to stay for a longer duration and have chance to take advantage of our Indoor Swimming Pool, We look forward to welcoming you back very soon and Thank you once again for your kind comments.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My Wife wanted to go to Blackpool between Christmas and New Year so she found a good package to go to the Bedford Hotel.

The hotel is kept warm despite the weather outside been very cold and the room we were in was basic but was clean and for the price we paid it was worth the money.
The food was good and really good value and you can tell the staff here are really trying and they are always helpful and willing. The pool and sauna area is really nice and most of the time we were the only ones in there and the hotels location is perfectly suited for North-shore and is nice and close but not too close to the town center.

I have a few gripes such as the beer and Cider on tap at the bar was awful, the strongbow had no life at all and we didn't drink it and another person we spoke to left their Stella as they said it tasted awful. The TV in the room is also very small but works perfectly fine.

Please note there is about 5 or 6 steps up to the entrance of the hotel but once inside there is a lift to all floors.

For the money we paid this was a excellent value trip.

My score of "very good" is taking into account the value for money which here is excellent. Sure I could pay more and get a lot grander hotel with huge TVs and all the trimmings but as we just wanted a quick getaway for good value this was well worth it.

I would sum up by saying if you are looking for a good value get away then you can't really go wrong with the Bedford. Its a bit old fashioned but You will get a clean warm basic room, nice meals and a nice pool and sauna area and staff that work really hard, for the cost you can't really go wrong if you want somewhere to stay in Blackpool.

Room Tip: Room 106 was a nice seaview room on the first floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments I will pass them onto my staff, myself and all the staff really do try to make guests stay most enjoyable and if there is anything we can do, we are more than happy to be off assistance. I am pleased you found us value for money and well worth it and that you enjoyed our food. I am sorry to hear about the Cider and Lager perhaps it was just the end of a barrel which sometimes happens in all bars, if you had mentioned it to the barman he would have been more than happy to change for a fresh pint. I am pleased you took full advantage of our indoor swimming pool. Thank you once again and we hopefully look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

No probs with the warm welcome we received, staff friendly and helpful. Car park a little crowded - in peak season this could present a problem.
Stayed B & B . . breakfast was typically English, well presented and served by hotel staff. Very pleased with this.
Although the room we had had a nice sea view' it was a bit of a let down. This is where those little things do mean a lot. With a little effort by hotel staff/owners, little niggly things could be put right with little expense and room(s) could offer a much more pleasing aspect.
Although a bit small, the hotel pool was adequate and along with the sauna and Jacuzzi offered a very enjoyable, relaxing hour.
Nice little bar, very reasonable prices - nicely decorated for Christmas.
Good value for money and we will go back - hopefully some of the little things will have been seen to.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms, second/third floor rooms might be a better choice.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
BedfordBlackpool, Manager at The Bedford Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you for your comments; I am pleased you found our welcome warm and friendly, and that you enjoyed our indoor swimming pool, and also you thought the hotel was nicely decorated for Christmas. We do have a car park at the rear of the hotel as well as the front and we have never had a problem even in peak season with parking spaces. As for the little niggly things which you have not mentioned on here or to a member of my staff cannot be addressed if you do not inform us, we look forward to welcoming you back and please address myself of your niggly things so I can attempt to rectify them. We do try our best to make guests stay more enjoyable. Thank you once again.
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Stayed for 4 days the staff where very polite and the food was good.We had a entertainer at the hotel every night.The room we had was neat and tidy with a sea view,a excellent hotel for what it cost to stay their.Would go back again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
BedfordBlackpool, Manager at The Bedford Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments, we do try our best to make our guests stay enjoyable, I am pleased you enjoyed the entertainment and found our food good. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Ipswich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My friend walk with a walker and could not manage the steps at the front of the entrance. The entertainer in the bar salty was very good. The food is nice apart from the disable problem we had a nice time.

Room Tip: I would not choose this hotel if you are disable and cannot reach high steps my friend fell on the s...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for comments, I am pleased you enjoyed the entertainment and found our food nice. Unfortunately we are not suitable for strollers and walkers, we will however offer assistance If and were possible. As we do not advertise that we have disabled access, had you informed us of your walking difficulties at the time of booking we would have informed you of the steps. Thank you once again
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed for just one night so we could see a show in Blackpool. Very warm welcome when we arrived and the young man parked our car at the back for us as the front was full. The next day the car had already been brought round in time for us checking out - very good service.
Our room was quite small but we had a nice seaview that we did not expect. It was clean and had nice fresh towels, a comfy bed with crisp linen and plenty of tea, coffee & milk. Exactly what we needed for an overnight stay.
The only let down was the 'full english' breakfast. I don't like beans so asked for a full english with no beans. I got one rasher of bacon, one sausage, a poached egg (very nice) and a small dried up half-tomato. However, there was plenty of juice, cereals, fruit, yoghurt and toast and the staff were very attentive.
Would definitely stay again if visiting Blackpool.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, myself and all the staff really do try to make guests stay most enjoyable, and if we can be of any assistance we will do our best to help. Please accept my apologises over the Breakfast, normally my staff do offer something in replacement if items are asked to be left off, We look forward to welcoming you back very soon and can assure you the extra items will be offered in replacement of the Baked Beans. Once again thank you very much.

Been to The Bedford Hotel? Share your experiences!