“Good service, Clean and comfortable at a good price” 4 of 5 stars

Blackpool FC Hotel and Conference Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bloomfield Rd, Blackpool FY1 6JJ, England   |
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Blackpool
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Good service, Clean and comfortable at a good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Picked this hotel on basis of other Trip Advisor reviews. Having stayed at a fair few dodgy B&B's in Blackpool in the past, this presents a much better and safer option for accommodation in the centre of Blackpool. Pitched at the top end of what I would class as essentially a modern budget hotel, it stacks up well against Premier Inn/ Travel Lodge etc ( which are opposite the ground). It's relatively new, therefore has a clean, modern feel, and rooms are a good size, and beds comfortable. Has a bar which overlooks the football pitch where breakfast is served. Breakfast was the only meal we had, though the dinner menu looked good. Breakfast was adequate, ( ie hot enough, taste fine), choice of fruit a bit limited, and choice of main cooked breakfast also bit limited, but overall better than many hotel buffet breakfasts I have had. Location is good, just a few minutes from the prom. Enjoyed it as a brief stopover, and would use it again as a Blackpool base.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Here are the 10 (yes 10) things that were unsatisfactory and examples of the poor customer service we received during and following our stay.

1) BLOOD (looked like it) on the pillow case when we checked into our room
2) HEATING BLOWING OUT COLD AIR FOR 30 MINS, checked on by reception and told a lot of the guests were complaining about the same thing.
3) COLD BREAKFAST from the buffet which we had to send back to get re-heated.
4) NO STAFF ON RECEPTION when I had left my phone in the room and needed to get back in but the key wasn’t working. Waited 15 minutes, checked back of reception. Nobody around anywhere. Had to go out without phone and couldn’t meet friends and family we had arranged to on our visit.
5) £3.50 FOR CHIPS on room service which appeared to be 1 potato worth cut into about 5 chips. I spoke to 2 members of staff regarding room service and not one of them mentioned this to me, despite knowing what it was I was looking for and that perhaps their menu wasn’t suitable. I would’ve thought for the price you would at least get a proper portion of chips for one or two to share.
6) ROOM NOT CLEANED on return to the hotel later that day meaning the dirty smelly plates from the night before were left, rubbish, no towels, bed not made. Rang reception who said cleaners had left but would try and get someone. Asked to leave room whilst it was cleaned. Inconvenient when we had been out all day and wanted to relax before our evening out.
7) WAITED 20 MINS TO BE SERVED IN THE BAR to receive a drink whilst we waited for the room to be cleaned because the one member of staff was busy serving food and forgot we were there. Hardly good service as a complimentary offer for our inconvenience!!!
8) ROOM STILL NOT CLEANED!!! When we returned to the room some 40 minutes later. All the plates, glasses and rubbish which were clearly left on the table in the room in full view were STILL left. We had to call reception again to sort this!!!
9) GYM UNSTAFFED AND SPA NOT FITTED YET. So whilst this was offered it wasn’t actually available to make use of.
10) When we complained to reception we gave our details and were told someone would be in touch. THIS NEVER HAPPENED resulting in me writing a letter and emailing and posting separate Copies.

My review is a summary of my complaint letter to the hotel. This took over 2 weeks and some chasing to get a reply to which was an offer of 10% reduction (equivalent to £8) off a future stay??? I found this ridiculous and insulting considering the poor customer service spoilt our anniversary weekend away!!!! I have stayed and worked in hotels before and I consider myself to be a pretty patient person. I’m also not one to complain or write reviews so the fact I have felt the need to do both of these things shows the extent of my dissatisfaction. Yes, the Hotel is shiny and new... but in my opinion new decor is not the only thing that makes a good hotel never mind a 4 star hotel!!!!!

In my view the thing that makes a hotel successful is the way it’s staff perform, how guests are treated and the level of this is what makes a hotel a basic or a 4 star hotel! In my opinion the service we received was not good enough for any hotel never mind a 4 star hotel!!!!

Very very disappointed and I personally would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
blackpoolfchotel, General Manager at Blackpool FC Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Justsaying80,

It is very disappointing to read such a negative review of the hotel that my staff and I take such pride in. As you know the first review you posted with a different username (similar to the one you have posted above) was removed as it was/is inaccurate, liable and darn right malicious. Rather than have it removed for a second time, I would prefer to expose you and your lies.
I will address each and every point made in your post.

1) BLOOD. No hotel members of staff were made aware of this by you or your boyfriend during your stay. I know if I went into a hotel room and there was blood on the pillow, the first thing I would do is make a staff member aware of it.

2) The heating system in your room was checked when you left the hotel and there was nothing wrong with it. Each room has its own heating system and many people call down to find out how to work the controls but there were no complaints on that night about the heating other than yours.

3) COLD BREAKFAST. You were the only guests on that morning to request your food to be heated up. We were more than happy to do this as we appreciate people have different preferences.

4) NO STAFF ON RECEPTION. A blatant lie, we have a wonderful thing called cctv that showed to us that you popped your head into reception and did not even ring the giant bell on the desk. The receptionist was in the back office and was in there for exactly 1 minute 27 seconds.

5) £3.50 for chips is the going rate for thick hand cut chips in a 4 star hotel. If you had asked the price we would have told you. Maybe if you wanted chips to share you should have asked for two portions!

6) ROOM NOT CLEANED. You arrived back at your room before check in time but when you requested to have the room cleaned we came up straight away and even offered you and your boyfriend a free drink while you waited for it to be cleaned.

7) WAITED 20 MINS TO BE SERVED IN THE BAR. Another blatant lie, our cctv shows us that your drinks order was taken when you first walked into the restaurant and your drinks arrived just over 4 minutes later.

8) ROOM STILL NOT CLEANED. The room was cleaned! Everyone is told quite clearly when room service is delivered that you should either leave your plates/tray outside your door or call down the restaurant for collection. This is standard with the majority of high end hotels across the World.

9) GYM UNSTAFFED AND SPA NOT FITTED YET. That is correct but you can still use the gym if you choose. If you have a look on our website we do not advertise that the spa is open yet.

10) During your stay you were abusive and rude to my staff and after I was made aware of this I looked into it, looking at cctv, talking to staff and analysing your complaint letter. After concluding that you were obviously a professional complainer I reluctantly decided to offer you 10% off another night stay as a token gesture. After receiving that offer and not getting your own way by getting a complementary night stay or a complete refund you have shown your true colours.

The fact that you travelled from Liverpool on an £89 KGB deal that included 2 nights stay bed and breakfast with a bottle of Prosecco on arrival had no reflection on the level of service you received.
Since your stay you have had friends calling the hotel up and threatening my staff which in my opinion is appalling.
I hope I have fully answered your complaints and may I make myself perfectly clear that we have a zero tolerance policy to both threatening and abusive behaviour so therefore to save you any embarrassment please do not return to the Blackpool FC Hotel.
Unlike your complaint, where there is a valid concern or complaint from a customer I take it very seriously and act on it appropriately.

Sam Oyston
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed here just before Christmas 2012.Room very good,service second to none without being overbearing,breakfast awesome!!!!!!Only stayed one night but wished we had stayed longer.We booked to cover a night at the Tower Ballroom for the Christmas Ball and the hotel stay was the highlight of the weekend,even though the ball was good.It is within walking distance of the tower but a taxi is only about £6.Would not hesitate to stay again,despite the notion of staying at a football club seeming a bit odd.it felt like a high class hotel.

Room Tip: Did not stay long enough to comment
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Congleton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Fantastic.....from the moment you arrive, to the minute you leave,one would not be treated any better at the Ritz.George the concierge,a very polite,friendly, helpful gentleman guides you to reception,where the young ladies check you in very efficiently and welcoming.The road side modern room,was sparkling clean,a good size bathroom with white fresh fluffy towels,a large double bed with white crisp linen and it was very comfortable indeed.The staff in the bar are all very polite and friendly .The breakfast is served in the restaurant overlooking the pitch, in a relaxed atmosphere.There is a good,quality of fresh, well presented food available,hot or cold,in endless supply.The young assistants are on hand serving fresh hot coffee or tea.
We stayed at the hotel on a match day which did not interfere with our plans and we able to park on the free car park with no problem at all.My husband and I had a wonderful weekend, thanks to the experience and great welcome we received at this hotel,would highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, Wales, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I booked the Blackpool FC Hotel and Conference Centre on the strength of previous TripAdvisor reviews; we weren't disappointed!

We didn't time our arrival that well, as a game had just finished and there were no parking spaces, but the lovely Sottish concierge said we could park just in front of entry turnstiles. Up to the 1st floor we went to check in. Great staff made this easy. Off down the corridor to room 139, and a great touch is that the corridor lights have movement sensors and turn the lights on when needed. Great for the environment and to stop light from creeping under doors at night.

The room was large with a large TV in front of the really large, comfortable bed. Bathroom was a good size too, with large bath and shower above. The first of two small negatives now; the bathroom fan ran all night, regardless of the bathroom light being on or off.

The other disappointment was the WiFi at our end of the hotel. The strength was excellent, but the password didn't work. If I went closer to Reception it did work fine though.

The town facing rooms look onto a Travelodge, but this isn't an issue.

Breakfast was great in the pitch facing dining room. Help yourself to fruit, juice, cereals, yogurts and then hot breakfast items. I thought adding black pudding, hash browns or fried bread might add to the fare, but the rest was fresh and well presented. Tea and coffee are brought to the table. There seemed to be some waiting for tables at 9.30am or so, but guests were offered drinks while they waited. It was a lovely relaxed atmosphere.

I know this review doesn't really add to the glowing reviews on here, but I wanted to reinforce what a great hotel this is and good value for money.

Room Tip: You might get better WiFi nearer Reception.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Burnley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed in Blackpool for the weekend a few weeks ago for a girls weekend. The accomodation was extremely well priced and I was astonished at the luxurious room we had. The beds were very comfortable, clean, beautiful decor, fantastic powerful shower in the smart bathroom and the staff were so helpful. We asked for the beds to be made from a double into two singles and it was done efficiently and pleasantly. Fresh milk was provided for cups of tea, even when we got in at 1am! One of my friends burnt her hand and the staff were extremely helpful in providing items from the first aid kit. The breakfast was delicious and plentiful. I couldn't fault a thing, would highly recommend. Thank you!

Room Tip: Despite being on the road facing side of the hotel, I was not disturbed at all by traffic, however...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Derby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed here as we were taking part in the Blackpool Half Marathon. As the Marathon started from the Football Stadium, it was a very convenient location. On arrival we were greeted by a really helpful and friendly concierge who continued to look after us throughout our stay, checking we were OK, directing us to restaurants and just generally making us feel welcome. A great member of staff. Checking in was also easy and reception staff were also very welcoming. Our room was clean, comfortable and had all mod cons; large screen TV, iron, tea/ coffee making facilities, good ensuite etc. We were able to get a good night's sleep as the hotel was so quiet. This was particularly important as we needed all our energy for the run the next morning. Breakfast was good and served in the restaurant overlooking the pitch. The staff who served us were again very helpful and did everything to make our stay a good one. Well done Blackpool FC Hotel and staff. We would certainly recommend you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Blackpool FC Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!