“I don't know which was colder, the weather or the shower. ” 3 of 5 stars

You added Chequers Plaza Hotel Blackpool to your Saves list
Chequers Plaza Hotel Blackpool
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   24 Queen's Promenade, Blackpool FY2 9RN, England   |
Ranked #38 of 74 Hotels in Blackpool
“I don't know which was colder, the weather or the shower. ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My partner and myself stayed here just for one night at the beginning of November for the Illuminations.
The bus and tram stops are close by and it's a nice walk into the centre of Blackpool if the weathers decent ... which it wasn't on our visit but that's another story!
We had a sea facing double room, beautiful and clean as were the linen and towels but boy was it cold... the heater was on in the bathroom but that was it and to top it all the shower was cold as well! If that bedroom had been warmer then Chequers would have gone from average to very good as there is a lovely lounge area for entertainment and great views of the sea.
Breakfast was average but it was hot and tasty... we didn't have an evening meal but the menu looked appetising,
Just one last note if you stay independently here try not to arrive at the same time as a coach party as the queue to check in was almost out of the main front doors and there was a very long wait.... we know to our cost!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
North West England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Helpful on the phone beforehand. Asked 3 times if special diets were catered for. One person said they did not do special diets for one night only but agreed to sort out gluten free. Agreed to order dinner on the day. i stayed with husband and daughter and a seperate room for a friend and son. The rooms were on different sides of the hotel.(also the double room was of a much higher standard). No gluten free diet had been noted. We did not order dinner but gluten free bread was available the next day for breakfast, much appreciated. The bar prices kept changing, if staff were available. Its a shame because it could have been an excellent stay. My family were chefs when the hotel was in its heyday. They would have been disappointed, which sadly most of the guests who stayed were.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't have a family room. The others are of a much higher standard.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Loughborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We were part of a coach trip from the Midlands, and the stay was an early christmas gift to my partner who had never been to Blackpool before. Check in was ok, quite fast with no problems.

Our room (303) was nice, could have done with some decoration but it was clean and tidy, and surprisingly large. The bathroom was nice, the only downside was that the towel rail on the door had come off and was placed on the sink.

There were two coach trips staying at the hotel so two 'sittings' for Dinner. We were the second. While in my room I dialed down to reception to tell them that I was a veggie - it was no problem and they offered me a choice of main courses which would be cooked and waiting for me. I chose the veggie burger option.

When we got down to the dining room we were invited to take a seat, the dining room was large enough and we found a seat easily. There was a choice of soup or melon and orange juice - we chose the soup which was delicious. Then the queue for the buffet style main meal formed, a lot of people were coming away from the self service with their plates piled high with food - which in my opinion is ok if you are going to eat it but not waste it! There was a lot of waste, which was especially galling as by the end of the line the staff were running out of food. The end result was harassed staff who were trying their best in a difficult situation and a group of disgruntled people - some very vocal about it for hours after. One group went out and got food elsewhere - the hotel paid when they returned with their reciepts. The rest of us who had a less than stellar meal were given vouchers for a free drink, which of course everyone wanted but were refused, again some were complaining.

After a long but entertaining trip to see the lights we went to bed - it was comfortable and warm, on the sea front with a lovely view but still quiet. Breakfast could not be faulted, very good choice of food and plenty of it. All the staff we encountered were polite and helpful. All in all we enjoyed our trip, had to laugh at the attitudes of some people and made the best of our limited time and dreadful weather.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Burnham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I have just spent a week at the hotel and have seldom met such friendly and helpful staff. From early e-mail dealings with Gill in reception to booking in and my stay there, everything was great. I was given a single sea-view room which was clean and comfortable and was in the part of the hotel opened in August. My only reservations were with the restaurant. It as a large restaurant and only just copes with the number of guests in the hotel and two staff are not enough; whilst the breakfast are buffet-style it still needs more staff to clear and re-lay tables. On a couple of occasions there were no milk jugs or teaspoons and no places set due to sheer pressure on the staff. The buffet breakfast was adequate but no more; tinned tomatoes (mostly juice by the time I got there!), deep fried sausages (pink in the middle) and solid slabs of scrambled egg were joined with bacon, beans and hash browns. Mushrooms and black pudding would have been nice considering the price paid for B & B. Three fruit juices were on offer but more often there were empty jugs and only one choice left. The queue at the toasters was horrendous! The website quotes four dishes on offer for dinner but I only ever saw two on the menu which was pedestrian, so I wasn't temped and cannot comment on the quality.
I'm sorry to be so carping but the restaurant was the only downside to the Chequers and I think that the hotel is now dedicated to the coach industry which is a shame.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
tyne and wear
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

When my daughter was a toddler(25yrs ago) we stayed here for a few days to see the illuminations, so when I had the opportunity to take her and my 2yr old grandson on 21st October 2013, I thought it would be ideal to stay at Chequers! How wrong can a person be. We drove down the 'front' to the hotel, really excited to be there for a 1 night stop over.
I parked outside and went to check in as my daughter took my excited grandson out of the car. The receptionist managed to look up only to ask 'how can I help you' and when I asked to check in and produced the paperwork she replied 'Ugh, its a booking.com, I don't need your booking details' she was concerned only with our payment, waved us to a room on the first floor pointed to the dining room and told me breakfast times. She was rather condescending in her tone throughout! and made us feel we were very unwelcome.
I had booked a room with a double and single bed and when we reached the room found it was at the back of the hotel, overlooking a fire escape. the single bed was in a separate bedroom within the room and had a very small 'false' window which did not open as it looked over the staircase. it was like being in a wardrobe. On returning from parking our car, I asked if we could change rooms, hoping my grandson would get a seaview room but was told all family rooms are at the back of the hotel!!!!
We returned to the hotel after a lovely tour of the illuminations to find a singer entertaining a pensioners coach trip. We had a soft drink and went to our room very quickly after hearing some of the guests remark that (due to my grandson)they hoped we weren't in a room beside them!!
Our room had some sort of ventilation/air con system outside the window which kept us awake most of the night.
After a long night, The following morning, at 9.05am, my grandson and I went down for breakfast.
One other table was occupied and a young blonde waitress and dark haired waiter were on duty. The waiter spoke only to ask me to sit at another table, no help to get breakfast/ cup of tea etc was offered. There were 3 plastic containers with a couple of spoonfuls of cereal in each. No hot breakfast was on offer and although I may have arrived too late(breakfast finishes at 9) no words were ever spoken to advise me of this. Instead the staff talked amongst themselves and we remained only 10 minutes due to a very uncomfortable/ unwelcoming atmosphere.
We couldn't wait to leave, totally unpleasant and even when I put our keys on the reception desk the 'blonde' receptionist didn't even look up to say thank you or goodbye.
This was definitely not a child friendly or booking.com friendly place........Really sad

Room Tip: Only advice is families don't stay here, even though it advertises family rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a lovely trip to blackpool this is my first visit to this hotel.the staff are extremely polite and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. check in was efficient and our room was clean and comfortable. the food was very nice and i notice some guests taking very large portions so they obviously liked the food too. entertainment was good and we sat in a lovely conservatory where we could see all the illuminations very relaxing. keep up the good work we will be back.

• Stayed October 2013
Grangemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

I was on part of a coach tour from scotland. We stayed here from the 14th untill 18th october. We were in room 403 which was modern and spotless! Shower was terrible however no hot water. We did complain to reception and the receptionist did offer to move us but the shower does need replaced as my parents room 111 had new shower and plenty hot water. Entertainment at night was ok but the bar was shocking. Prices expensive and there was a glass issue! A bar without glasses is not good. Dinner service is shocking! Not enough staff and the fact that they only serve dinner to coach tours really shows. Dinner was buffet style but very unorginised. And not very good. breakfast was also buffet no complaints about that. The hotels gm is very new and she is trying to change things and i think she will. I work in the hotel industry so i noticed alot of staff issues. But i think with the proper training the staff will be better.as they were nice. The G M also came on the bus when we left which was a nice touch. Overall a good stay but would only go back if the dinner service and food was sorted.

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Chequers Plaza Hotel Blackpool? Share your experiences!