“Wonderful, matched my expectations! x” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Big Blue Hotel

You added Big Blue Hotel to your Saves list
Big Blue Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Clifton Drive/Ocean Boulevard | Pleasure Beach, Blackpool FY4 1ND, England   |
Ranked #12 of 74 Hotels in Blackpool
England
“Wonderful, matched my expectations! x”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Have always wanted to stay at this hotel & was really pleased to get a great price for a late booking £136 for 2 nights (very competitive / cheaper against similar rated B&B's / guest houses nearby)
On arrival - hotel looked impressive from the outside, plenty of free parking in the huge car park for hotel residents only. Reception desk very friendly & efficient at check in / check out & happy to answer any queries, we also had our pre-paid Pleasure Beach wristbands issued at reception.
Decor inside the hotel public areas was modern & clean with lovely quality furniture.
We had booked a standard double room but we actually got a family room (room 411) & both our requests were met with the top floor & view of the Pleasure Beach! Room was clean, tidy & modern, maybe slightly cheaper furniture in the rooms than in the public areas but still nice. Our room was huge - large kingsize bed (very comfortable) flat screen tv, tea / coffee facilities, large wardrobe, clean bathroom with bath & shower, & a separate kids bedroom with bunkbeds & 2 x flat screen tv's for each bunk!! Impressive if we had travelled with kids! We slept well both nights, never had any problems with noise.
Room price included breakfast which was the best buffet style breakfast i have ever had in a large hotel - plenty of choice of everything, including things such as - cereals, toast, croissants, fruit, yoghurts, juices, various teas & coffee's & the hot breakfast - bacon, eggs, sausage, beans, tomatoes - delicious! You are shown to a table by staff for breakfast & both mornings we were there it was busy but never felt cramped & never queued at the buffet, we went down both mornings at about 8.30-9am.
We also chose to eat at the hotel restaurant one evening (we had booked a table via the website before we went) & it was well worth it! Staff very attentive & friendly, prices were excellent for the quality of food you get, absolutely delicious 3 course meal we ate!! Drink prices were about standard for soft drinks but alcohol probably more on the expensive side - nothing you dont already expect from big hotels these days!
All in all, we were extremely happy with our stay here & would definitely stay here again when next in Blackpool & happily recommend to others!
Other places we visited while there were - Pleasure Peach, Blackpool Tower & Dungeons, enjoyed a walk up the promenade at night to see the Illuminations & ate at a luscious Italian restaurant on the first evening up past the tower, called La Fontana on Clifton Street - highly recommend!!

Room Tip: If you like the Pleasure Beach, then ask for a room with a view of the Pleasure Beach, & also we...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Chorley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed here on a family trip to Blackpool.
Very nice decor - staff are fantastic - close to pleasure beach - food superb.
The family rooms with their separate bunk bed rooms for the kids are an excellent idea.
Highly recommended.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My partner and I stayed here with my parents, who had both been before. My first impression of the hotel was that it was superbly clean. We checked in to out double room, which was spotlessly clean and fresh with a fantastic view of the pleasure beach. We had evening meal in the hotel, would recommend to everybody! Easily the best meal i have ever eaten! The staff were friendly and efficient, downfall was kids running around the restaurant, however the manager spoke to the parents which was good.
Breakfast was amazing, everything fresh and hot and everything you could possibly want.
Would defiantly stay here again, wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. fantastic.

Room Tip: a standard room was fine for my partner and i, it had everything we could want.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Went to Blackpool with my husband and two granchildren aged 6 and 7. Hotel very good for families, the children loved having there own wee room with there own TV, pity no childrens channels at night. The only complaint I would have is adults not keeping children under control and allowing them to run about and jump of beds, I understand children are excited, but just ask them to remember people are down below. We were on the 3rd floor and children above us run about till about 11 each night and noise started about 7.30 in the morning, my grandchildren even complained the noise had woken them up it was same the three nights we were there, maybe a wee note in the room reminding people are below them , when on the higher floorsWe enjoyed meal in the resturant one eving although service a bit slow

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Big Blue bills itself as a contemporary, boutique four star hotel.

You can forget all that.

My doubts started at check-in, where as soon as I gave my surname (and a copy of my booking confirmation which the receptionist didn't look at) and I said my surname 'starting with K' I saw the receptionist hit C on the keyboard. After I repeated the information I had already given, and she found me on the system I was then asked if I'd be using the wifi and said yes but she forgot to issue me a key for it.

Up to my room. It smelt of bleach, the walls were paper thin, and the double bed was actually two singles shoved together creating an uncomfortable ridge in the middle. Furnishings toiletries etc were all more akin to a 3 star hotel. There were kids running up and down the corridors continually. Got woken up at 4am as I could hear the guy in the next room snoring as well as music from a room in the floor below.

Breakfast - a 10 minute wait just to get a table at 9am! If you wanted herbal tea instead of black tea it was £1 extra. More kids running past you all the time.

Standards in Blackpool aren't high - but I'm sure there has to be better than this shambles. I can safely say I'll be staying elsewhere in my next visit.

• Stayed October 2012
North East
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Family of 4 stayed for a night in October. Lovely hotel and great room (superior family room 102). Our room was right next to reception but not at all noisy. Did ask for room with view of pleasure beach but didn't get this unfortunately. Breakfast was lovely. Location was fantastic. Hotel gives free entry to pleasure beach. Wish I knew this in advance as we wasted £6 on an advance entry ticket for my mum who doesn't like rides.

• Stayed October 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

When I booked, I thought this hotel would be pretty standard, so I was very pleasantly surprised: helpful reservations team, accommodating a special room request; free wifi; clean rooms; varied and nice breakfast; and direct access in the morning to Pleasure Beach, right around the corner. Customer Service also excellent: after we left, the staff even sent us the mobile phone charger we had forgotten in our room…Highly recommended: we’d certainly stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Big Blue Hotel? Share your experiences!