Have to say I agree with PeteAnn of London - people do seem to expect 5 star, West End musical, quality whilst paying prices comparable with a b and b!
Our impulsive decision to spend Christmas in Blackpool was a good call. Asked if we wanted to join the gala we thought "do we"? We decided yes we would! In retrospect, so glad we did as the Norbreck Castle is set well out of Blackpool centre and our feeble attempts to walk it the previous night in driving rain and howling wind was not to be recommended!
I was aware of the reports on TA but me being me, I just read and ....go check myself! I don't dismiss them entirely but it kind of sets the bar for my personal expectations. Result is I am rarely disappointed and I judge purely on price I pay and my personal enjoyment of it all.
Yes, this is predominantly a coach tour hotel - and very very busy so if you arrive to check in at the same time as several coaches then the check-in can resemble terminal 1 at Ringway, however, the queue moved quickly and the staff were apologetic for the wait. What exactly can they do?
I did wonder if 'single' passengers may feel they have infringed on a 'private' party at the gala, and indeed it did remind me of a wedding reception..... but....no way did we feel out of it. Most of the guests were just determined to have a good time and there must have been over 1,000 people at the Hogmanay dinner! Have to say, was pleasantly surprised that the meal was hot when we received it and wanted to congratulate the staff for managing this en masse - Live entertainment during dinner and afterwards but my award has to go to the compare who kept everyone in party spirit and, in my opinion, did a good job of involving everyone!
I am not going to spend time pointing out petty negatives - our room was warm, we had a large spa bath (which I made good use of!) and the usual expectations. Was it luxurious? No........but it was clean, fit for purpose and excellent value for money paid. The beds, I can't deny, were hard! Breakfast was a bit canteenish but to reiterate; for value for money we couldn't argue and with so many people in residence it had to be!!!!!
Would I recommend this hotel? Not to people who want the uniformity of a P.I and want intimate settings, but to anyone who likes quirkyness and individuality and can laugh and mix with strangers easily then 'yes' deffo. We met some real 'characters' on our two day stay and the oldies (even older than us ha ha) put us to shame on the dance floor! Memories of an elderly woman swaying away to 'I had the time of my life' from dirty dancing, with antlers on her head still amuses me!!
It was also good for people with children - we know how difficult it can be to go anywhere with youngsters on New Years Eve but the kiddies enjoyed it and as far as I could tell....all behaved really well!
All in all I enjoyed it immensely and the staff were on hand to help out with any requests. I think a lot of the reports are very harsh and would think the majority of those who do enjoy it simply do not post! Thank you Norbreck and a happy 2013 to all of you. Hope its a good one for you.
- Also Known As:
- Norbreck Castle Blackpool
- Norbreck Hotel
- Hotel Norbreck Castle
- Norbreck Castle Hotel Blackpool
- Castle Hotel Norbreck
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Norbreck Castle Hotel is a fun and vibrant enviroment especially at weekends and during holiday periods. The Hotel overlooks the seafront on the North Shore, and is close to Blackpools' major attractions and entertainment. This stunning Castle like hotel offers a warm welcome to the famous Seaside Resort of Blackpool.The hotel has 480 bedrooms, many with sea views that offer a comfortable and relaxing stay. All tastefully decorated, rooms are en-suite and offer TV, Telephone, Hairdryer and Tea & Coffee making facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Otel, Olotels, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and Tingo so you can book your Norbreck Castle Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.